Early Scott Addict SL Custom Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Ebay... source of just about everything! This is a first for me so it could end in disaster I want paintwork, logos and graphics minimal and make it very personal. Having removed all frame paint right back to bare carbon I intend to spray it in a gloss clear laquer, this will really show off the carbon weave to great effect in sunlight. I love the idea of keeping it raw so any imperfections, slight waviness of tube junctions and Scotts original red epoxy at the joints will all be visible. Hopefully 24ct gold leaf will reflect light in much the same was as carbon it will shimmer in sunlight. I've seen it applied onYoutube 'how to' videos so here we go!

Mep

by Mep

Wow how is this even possible? How do you obtain a single tube that you're confident is Scott's HMX carbon, let alone have the skills and tools required to bond it together?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Mep wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:25 pm
Wow how is this even possible? How do you obtain a single tube that you're confident is Scott's HMX carbon, let alone have the skills and tools required to bond it together?
All tubing was part of the HMX frame I have resized it to suit me. To be fair I work with carbon fibre in the bicycle repair industry so have a good understanding of its performance and properties which helps :thumbup:

Mep

by Mep

Ah got it, I thought you had somehow replaced the top tube entirely but still what you pulled off is insane

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Mep wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:14 am
Ah got it, I thought you had somehow replaced the top tube entirely but still what you pulled off is insane Image
It’s an old frame I had hanging up but was to large for me so I’ve made it fit. Would have been easier to buy a suitable size 54cm not that I’ve ever seen used 54cm HMX for sale, plenty of 56cm appear. It hasn’t really cost me much just spare time and materials.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

I had these handlebars spare, very lightweight ITM Pathom2 however the red and white branding is not in keeping with my colour scheme so sanded them back and applied a clear goss coat.

This pic is the first coat prior to flatting back and applying a second 'flow' coat.

Ebay again £15 for a 110mm stem, weighs 100g. Its a generic alloy wrapped in carbon along the centre section, Scott specified 110mm as standard on these frames so I bought this cheap stem to see if 110mm was correct for me (I hoped it would as didn't want to screw up handling with a shorter stem). For the money can't go wrong! it needs a colour change so again sanded back, theres a lot more work to go into this stem!

Last edited by Clannagh on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Gold leaf time, first time I have attempted this. Bit of trial and error it is very fiddly ideally each leaf needs to go in place in one attempt otherwise it tears and moves. it is easy to repair damaged areas just add additional layers. I found the glue supplied useless, it appears to be water based PVA so instead I used 2k clear coat as a glue, spray it on and stick the gold leaf on whilst still wet, leave to dry for an hour before touching it.
Process:
1. Create a stencil in self adhesive vinyl of the shape to be guilded in gold leaf (Scott logo)
2. Spray the area with 2k gloss laquer.
3. Remove stencil whilst laquer is still wet (otherwise the gold leaf will hav a jagged edge when vinyl is removed later).
4. Apply gold leaf and leave to dry.
5. Gently brush off areas of gold leaf not stuck, its very fragile and just breaks away and floats off.
6. Cover area in several coats of clear laquer, eventually it will be buried beneath giving a smooth finish in keeping with rest of laquered frame.

You can still see slightly jagged edges in places.

I airbrushed black around the logo and created a drop shadow to give a raised look, black enahnces the gold and also sharpended up the rough edges in places needed.

The finished item. I lost track of how many coats of clear 2k gloss have been applied, probably 6-7 over the gold leaf areas and 3-4 over the entire frame. Its added approx 100 grams to weight the weight :roll: much in keeping with the original factory paintjob.
Clear coat does give an amazing effect in the sun and brings it all to life! you can just see a hint of Scott red epoxy they used on the toptube/headtube junction. I wanted to keep this rawness and buried within clear coat gives the desired effect.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

More work on that stem. I changed the process here as it was to fiddly to get good sharp edges with such small lettering. I'm thinking maybe this gold leaf kit wasn't such good quality! reading up on the subject gold leaf is so fine it disintegrates if touched my kit was more robust, it does require an experienced hand to use! also very expensive. Finished result is supposed to look the same so its really down to application.

For this method:
1. I applied 2k clear coat to an area to be filled with text.
2. Stuck leaf to it and left to dry.
3. Brushed off loose areas and refilled any small imperfections.
4. sealed in 2 coats of clear lacquer.
5. Applied vinyl cut lettering.
6. Airbrushed black around the entire area.
7. Removed the vinyl letteing which allowed the leaf below to appear.
8. Sealed in several additional coats of clear lacquer.

Stem cap was also airbrushed black to match.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

ผมริกคุณ พิโลวรรณ
What does it say? Google Translate outputs nonsense for this, unless that was your intention.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:18 am
ผมริกคุณ พิโลวรรณ
What does it say? Google Translate outputs nonsense for this, unless that was your intention.
Yes I think the translation only works if you input English and convert it.
It’s just a private message, it shpuld read ผมรักคุณ etc👍🏼
Last edited by Clannagh on Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Clannagh wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:01 pm
Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:18 am
ผมรักคุณ พิโลวรรณ
I’ve just he led it again, it’s not my language so I struggle with it. You made a typo on the third letter in it should read. ผมรักคุณ and then the name.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

More gold leaf! I dont want to overdo the gold but would like to include some family ancestorial detail.
Being a Mcleod with the original Clan home on the Isle Of Skye Scotland I thought I would include a few design queues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_MacLeod

https://www.dunvegancastle.com/castle/the-motto/

The Mcleod Clan crest is depicted by a bull and other elements.

Mcleod Tartan

Reproduced in gold leaf with airbrushed detail.

The Mcleod moto reads 'Hold Fast" which history has it refers to when Malcolm Mcleod wrestled a wild bull, the clansmen shouted "Hold Fast"

'Hold Fast' does feel rather apt to be included.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Wow!!! This is amazing 😉 With your superior skills and craftsmanship, why not permanently bond the handlebar to the stem?
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

Clannagh

by Clannagh

godzuki26 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:24 pm
Wow!!! This is amazing 😉 With your superior skills and craftsmanship, why not permanently bond the handlebar to the stem?
It would probably weigh the same 🙄

Orbital

by Orbital

Wow, really cool build!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com