Kazyole's Cervelo RCA: 5.3kg (New pics on page 3)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kazyole

by Kazyole

dgasmd wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:18 pm
Seems you and I have the same proportions. Looked hard for a while for the same frame and never found one, so gave up on it. Hit me up if you ever decide to sell it!!!

Excel Sports has a 48cm in stock ;)

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pa ... lkQAvD_BwE

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SQUICCHI

by SQUICCHI

Congratulations for climbing the Mount Ventoux! especially with that monster!
Recently I got from Germany the same frame, size 48 as well......and I built the bike with extremely light components. Final weight......5170gr

Amazing!
Attachments
Cervelo RCA 48
Cervelo RCA 48
C876E218-815B-4AF2-8985-BE15553BDABE.jpeg
985B8B02-B068-46F6-A75E-ADC4C193F195.jpeg

Kazyole

by Kazyole

SQUICCHI wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 pm
Congratulations for climbing the Mount Ventoux! especially with that monster!
Recently I got from Germany the same frame, size 48 as well......and I built the bike with extremely light components. Final weight......5170gr

Amazing!
Thanks! And nice build! Gotta love a low spoke count wheel. What's your steerer tube expander situation? That's the biggest bit I'm going back and forth on, using the supplied cervelo aluminum sleeve with a star knut vs a lighter weight expander.

Minor update: I'm currently talking to Darimo about having a lightweight clone of the cervelo seatpost collar made. The collar is one of the most frustrating parts of the RCA, weighing 16g (same as all the R series collars) and having a very slightly proprietary shape which rules out all lightweight alternatives. I'll be mailing them an extra R series collar I have laying around for them to look at and see what they can do.

SQUICCHI

by SQUICCHI

Hi, about the seatpost clamp, you don’ need to ask Darimo, I got one, really well made in carbon fiber from a German website, where they sell the carbonschmiede collar which is amazing and it fits perfectly with the RCA one....

Here the direct link......

https://www.speedwareshop.de/Carbonschm ... ttelklemme

Please choose the Cervelo one!

It works!
Attachments
Carbon seatclamp for Cervelo RCA
Carbon seatclamp for Cervelo RCA

Kazyole

by Kazyole

SQUICCHI wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:39 pm
Hi, about the seatpost clamp, you don’ need to ask Darimo, I got one, really well made in carbon fiber from a German website, where they sell the carbonschmiede collar which is amazing and it fits perfectly with the RCA one....

Here the direct link......

https://www.speedwareshop.de/Carbonschm ... ttelklemme

Please choose the Cervelo one!

It works!
Thanks! That looks fantastic. Did you happen to weigh yours?

SQUICCHI

by SQUICCHI

Hmm.....if I remember well it was 5/6gr!

SQUICCHI

by SQUICCHI

Kazyole I would like to know if you have any issue of creaking with your bottom bracket, if yes how did you fix it and maybe which product do you recommend? Please let us know, thank you, Andrea.

COSTA

by COSTA

Ohhh i do love an RCA! epic riding too

Kazyole

by Kazyole

SQUICCHI wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:49 pm
Kazyole I would like to know if you have any issue of creaking with your bottom bracket, if yes how did you fix it and maybe which product do you recommend? Please let us know, thank you, Andrea.
I haven't had any issues with my bottom bracket. I'm using this one:

https://fairwheelbikes.com/hsc-bbright- ... m-bracket/

That company that made your seatpost collar doesn't seem to be around anymore so Darimo it is. Sending off the stock clamp for them to clone.

Bike is rebuilt, some updates coming. A couple of the components turned out heavier than I expected and I'm not really seeing the losses I expected, so trying to track down what's going on there.

But god damn the darimo bar/stem combo plus the carbonworks wahoo mount is incredibly clean.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Alright, did some good social distancing the other day, and here's what the RCA is looking like now with new parts installed. Still need to find a good location for a proper photoshoot, but here's the best my iphone could do.

New cockpit courtesy of Darimo. The IX2 stem/Ellipse bar combo is sexy as hell. And about the best possible option for me, looking for something clean, lightweight, and 38cm x 120mm. Not a real ton of integrated options available in those dimensions and with the carbonworks mount coming off the only two bolts in the system it's a damn clean look. Chopped it to 0 spacers above and the absolute black topcap looks great on there imo. And the other upside is that the darimo stem being carbon and having a higher stack than the extralite, it eliminates the need for 5mm of spacers. So I get a bit more slammed of a look riding the same position.

Darimo T1 seatpost loop system upgrade. Holding rock steady so far.

I love this bike.

Still trying to figure out why my weight is so far off my expectation. Obviously I went with the i-links so that's a part of it, and I did a full bar wrap vs only going to the hoods. So there's some weight there. And I have one extra di2 wire now because I had the shop split it inside the bar and install the D-fly unit in the bar itself. But that shouldn't really account for all of it. I'm wondering if I gave my shop the wrong bottom bracket. Either way I'm not super bothered. The thing is a rocketship.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Brain,
Thanks for the quick response. I bought my RCA based on how nice your bike looks. What bottom bracket are you using?

Kazyole

by Kazyole

mnmasotto wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:22 am
Brain,
Thanks for the quick response. I bought my RCA based on how nice your bike looks. What bottom bracket are you using?
Awww, that's great to hear! How are you liking it so far? I absolutely love riding this frame.

I'm using this ceramic BB from HSC:
https://fairwheelbikes.com/hsc-bbright- ... m-bracket/

No issues so far

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Finally got around to taking some photos with a real camera.

Gotta try to get into that Bike Vault now that the build is done! Well, done for now anyway. Current weight is 5.3kg.

I've managed to get some more riding in lately now that the weather is nicer and riding bikes is about the only way I can get out of the apartment. I'm incredibly happy with how the build has turned out. Darimo is currently spending their time engineering and building ventilators (which makes me really happy to be riding around on their bar/stem/seatpost), so it'll be a while until I'm able to get that seatpost collar made. Other than that, maybe some bolt tuning, and maybe an eventual switch to powercordz, there's very little left to do here.

It's a sneaky thing to ride. It feels civilized. It's not harsh or overly twitchy. It feels stable, grounded, and generally well-behaved. Over poor roads it's downright comfortable. It doesn't feel like a show bike, which is good because I don't have room for a show bike. Obviously it feels fast, but on flat ground cruising along, it acts like a pretty normal bike. But get out of the saddle or point it uphill, and it becomes obvious really quickly that it's not a normal bike.

EDIT: Obsessively re-compiled my full build list. Weight makes sense. I must have weighed it the previous time without the Wahoo or something

The Build List

• Frame, 48cm: 624g

• Fork: 266g

• Crank: SRM Origin Powermeter with rechargeable battery and Carbon Ti rings: 625g

• Pedals: Zeros with Ti spindles, bowties, and hardware: 145g

• Chain: YBN SLA 11 speed chain: 210g at 116 links

• Cassette: Omni Racer 11s titanium cassette, 11-28: 118g

• Stem: Darimo IX2 in -6°, 120mm length with carbonworks wahoo mount: 89g

• Handlebars: Darimo Ellipse, 38cm with Di2 holes: 135g

• Carbon bar-end plug: 3g

• Carbon Ti Expander plug: 14g

• Seatpost: Darimo Gloss 3k post in 27.2x280mm with Loop upgrade : 66g

• Saddle: Berk Matte UD Lupina with round rails in 132mm: 72g

• Cages: Carbonworks: 7g each

• Shifters: Dura Ace 9150: 228g (-26g for the stock handlebar clamps)

• Schmolke Carbon Di2 shifter clamps: 7g

• RD: Dura Ace 9150: 197g

• FD: Dura Ace 9150: 134g

• Omni Racer chain catcher: 7g

• Di2 Wires+ Junction Boxes: 85g

• Shimano D-Fly: 4g

• Di2 Battery 69g

• Di2 battery holder: 7g

• Brakes: THM Fibula: 120g

• Brake Pads, Swiss Stop: 29g (I have corima pads that are 12g that I’ll put on once these wear off)

• Wheelset: AX Lightness 28c: 1128g

• Rim strips: Rox Ultralite Rim Tape: 3g

• Veloflex Master 25 SPS Open Tubulars: 225 and 223g

• Tubes: Tubolito: 41g/tube

• Extralite Streeters: 28g

• Head unit: Wahoo Elemnt Bolt: 62g

• Wahoo speed sensor: 16g

• Upper Headset bearings: Cane creek AER upper headset bearings and cover: 21g

• Lower headset bearings: Stock cervelo: 25g

• Omni Racer 5mm carbon headset spacer: 2g

• Top Cap: Absolute Black: 3g

• Seatpost collar: Stock Cervelo: 16g

• Derailleur hanger: 10g

• Fizik Bartape: 52g

• Bottom bracket: HSC ceramic: ~98g

• Brake Cables/housing: Alligator I Links: 55g

TOTAL WEIGHT OF ALL PARTS: 5291g

Not weighed: SRM Magnet & Epoxy holding it to the frame. If it ever falls off I’ll weigh it.

TOTAL BUILD ACTUAL MEASURED WEIGHT: 5300g
Last edited by Kazyole on Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

You forgot the most important thing... the weight!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

Mhm, very nice. Could look at the pics for hours