Falling in love with my Focus Izalco Max

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

crux

by crux

I'm really looking forward to this build ;)

cjnl

by cjnl

An intermediate picture. The sun is finally out in the Netherlands, so pretty soon I will take some outside pictures with more light.
Currently, it still has the Sram chainrings, but with the PYC chain, not on that picture. The picture also has the Tune saddle that now is replaced with a Berk Lupina.
No glue yet and no bottle cage. So an estimated 45 grams will be added.
focus-7595.jpg
Current weight without a Fiberlyte chainring (and possibly a Darimo seatpost + clamp): 5390 grams
IMG_0348.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reedplayer

by reedplayer

hot. seat-angle looks really sharp, for shure result of the perspective.

crux

by crux

Amazing!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

you can make that under 10 pounds by going lighter wheels, ti cassette, ti chain, somewhat lighter tires (but functional), lighter skewers and seatpost

cjnl

by cjnl

First ride this weekend: 3 hours. In the Netherlands, so no big noticeable gains from the reduced weight. Besides that, I used an Antares saddle and Flo wheels I had lying around. My current seat post does not support oval rails and tubes are not glued on yet. The fit was excellent. I was a little worried by the low stack, but no issues there.

The front felt a bit nervous. 26mm diameter carbon handlebar from Schmolke and 90mm stem from Extralite are not as stable as I hoped it to be. No issues in corners. The bike really handles great cornering. But in the straight line, I found myself making micro corrections. On other bikes, I find it comforting, in a strange nerdy way, to look down the rim and make sure it stays perfectly straight while riding. That was not possible on the Focus or only for short periods.

Already I am considering another stem, handlebar or a combination like the Bontrager XXX lite bar/stem combo. Is anyone having similar experiences? And is the conclusion making sense? Because something like the Bontrager integrated combination is quite expensive.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Hello,
i cant confirm that the front of my focus, size52, feels nervous, the opposite is the case: the neutral steering (headtube angle 71,75°, fork rake 43mm!) and the stiff frame ensure a high level of directional stability. downhills in the mountain area are real fun with this bike.

Funnily enough i just talked with a mate, really strong amateur and although Izalco max owner, about its handling, and he exactly confirmed my impression.

would not recommend it for a crit. otherwise.

please post outdoor pics of your Focus, thank you.

RyanH

by RyanH

It's not the Focus, it's the extralite stem and, maybe bars.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Or bars. Maybe stem length. But don't let Ryan's paranoia about the Extralite stem get to you. I've run Extralite on few bikes now and no nervousness to speak of.

I can confirm that Corsa Speed tubulars are likely to puncture from a hard stare - but I'd still be willing to sell you a new pair of all black 25s :)

And a new Darimo T2 for that matter...

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

lovely~

coreyaugustus

by coreyaugustus

Love looking at all these Focus builds, but especially the ones in which they get sanded down and refinished. Focus hasn't done a stock paint yet that I actually like, though the newish ones with the Paul Smith-esque colors were interesting at least.

cjnl

by cjnl

I ordered the Darimo seat post and seat clamp. And I am really considering the Bontrager xxx lite handlebar stem combo. I really feel the handlebar/stem adds a lot to the feel of the bike. Comparing that to any of my other bikes it is just that part that makes the Focus not so excellent as eg. my Canyon Aeroad SLX.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

How are the ride characteristics? Stiffness, fork flex, etc..

cjnl

by cjnl

Sorry for the late response. I am enjoying some time away at the Mt. Ventoux. :D

I find it quite difficult to qualify the frame on its own. Ride characteristics are IMO influenced a lot by other components. My main point of reference is a Canyon Aeroad SLX 9.0. It has mechanical dura ace with direct mount brakes. The cockpit is the integrated bar/stem from Canyon that might be a bit heavy but is really stiff and gives lots of confidence. With the aluminum non-aero wheels and the Tune saddle I brought to Bedoin, it weighs 6,5 kilos.

The Focus has some lightweight components that make it less of a superbike, but just lighter. The first problem for me was the bar tape. The diameter of the handlebar is only 26mm and with the Tesa tape there is too little grip and especially in the drops, it feels like holding matchsticks. So I put on 2,5 mm Lizardskin and it is truly a world of difference. Just to mention how much a difference the feel of a bike can change by just changing a minor component.

But the handlebar of the stem is still nothing like the Canyon or any of the other bikes I have (CAAD10 and another Aeroad from 2011).
Other than that specific problem the focus handles pretty amazingly in corners: it is really agile more than the Aeroad and feels really predictable. No issues thus far with the fork or flex, nor any brake rubbing with wheels I use on other bikes.

cjnl

by cjnl

Some changes: the wheels 303 clinchers, quite heavy at 1560 grams for the 2019 version. Viewspeed quick release, 2,5 mm bar tape and now with the Darimo goodies. With slightly heavy bottlecages from Tacx it weighs in total 5,6 kilo’s. As pictured I will ride it on Saturday: les Trois Ballons gran fondo. Dry, from 10 degrees at the start to 20 degrees in the afternoon.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com