Cervelo S3 Disc - New DA R9200 Rebuild + Pics + Build List (Page 7+8) - New Alps/Seatpost Weight 6.62 kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jelledb

by jelledb

stevec1975 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:22 pm
cheers 1llum4, would have got the Cervelo fork insert version If I had known!
I'm also looking into converting that R.A.T system, I even managed to strip the threads in R.A.T axles because I need them to be wound out all the way :oops: . However I cannot seem to find anyone stocking the QRI-THD Threaded inserts. Did anybody managed to get hold of them or is Robert Axle the way to go?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I got the RAT ones, which work perfectly fine (but stick out quite a bit) when I get round to it, will order the proper Cervelo ones (you have to do a special order via a Cervelo dealer, not available online that I have seen)

99tollap

by 99tollap

stevec1975 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:48 pm
I just prefer compact, and with the smaller front chainring I can stay in the 50 most of the time, the cassette choice was to accommodate the Alps
Hi, I was wondering if you could comment on the climbing performance of your bike?

I need to buy a new bike, and although I would prefer the R3, only the S3 is available in my size. I live in Switzerland and love the mountains, so am a bit worried that I'll lose performance on the long climbs compared to my current bike (TCR Advanced Pro 1).

Any words of experience would be gratefully received.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

jelledb wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:56 am
stevec1975 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:22 pm
cheers 1llum4, would have got the Cervelo fork insert version If I had known!
I'm also looking into converting that R.A.T system, I even managed to strip the threads in R.A.T axles because I need them to be wound out all the way :oops: . However I cannot seem to find anyone stocking the QRI-THD Threaded inserts. Did anybody managed to get hold of them or is Robert Axle the way to go?
I’m a bit late to this party
Only just read this thread

Yep, I used Robert Axle on my Focus Disc
Saved a lot of weight for minimal expense
Plus I think that they looked better

They are very helpful

I’d recommend

Have since sold the bike and have got any photos of the axles
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

stevec1975

by stevec1975

99tollap wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:21 am
stevec1975 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:48 pm
I just prefer compact, and with the smaller front chainring I can stay in the 50 most of the time, the cassette choice was to accommodate the Alps
Hi, I was wondering if you could comment on the climbing performance of your bike?

I need to buy a new bike, and although I would prefer the R3, only the S3 is available in my size. I live in Switzerland and love the mountains, so am a bit worried that I'll lose performance on the long climbs compared to my current bike (TCR Advanced Pro 1).

Any words of experience would be gratefully received.

Climbing is actually very good, The bottom bracket is very stiff on the S3, so no power is wasted, it does feel slow/not as lively as my climbing bike, but my Strava times for most climbs are the same or better than with my 5.9Kg Scott (flat/descending they are almost always faster.)

It is particularly good on long, fast climbs, not tried super steep stuff, but will see how it goes in the Alps in a few weeks.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

A few pics from 4 days in the Alps (260 Miles/32K Ft climbing), this bike is amazing!

wkwt

by wkwt

Beautiful build and glad you are using it properly . Can you comment on the Hunt 50 Disc wheels? I read so many mixed comments on them, especially in these forums. Starting with freewheel volume, actual vs claimed weight, tubeless fitment, etc. Thanks in advance!

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Cheers

Re: Hunt Wheels, they are super loud when freewheeling and there seems to be quite a lot of freewheel/bearing drag. Profile wise, they are fine and handle cross winds OK, they came in about 90 grams over claimed weight, not a massive issue on an already heavy bike, but annoying nonetheless. Not gone tubeless on these yet, they do make some very weird popping sounds when the tyre bead finds its place when pumping up on clinchers. For the price I got them for, I cannot complain. Would recommend.

Gary71

by Gary71

Cervelo has missed the mark on a lot of their paint schemes lately - but that colour pops !

Awesome!

moock

by moock

Can anyone tell me if the frame works with the FSA ARC Stem ? I really dont like the cervelo stem..

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

it won't, the stem is very specific and looks like an old style quil stem.

moock

by moock

Francois_Viviers wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:37 pm
it won't, the stem is very specific and looks like an old style quil stem.
oh no! :( so sadly no s3 for me!!

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Correct, you can’t use other stems (or bars really) as it this o lay way to really hide all the cables, that being said, it is really stiff stem, looks great but is quite heavy (Bars plus stem are c. 540g)

young

by young

nice s3!
you might want to remove the chain stay protector :)

i removed, well never installed the chain stay protector ugry and heavy lol. installed i 3m clear protective tape instead. aka clear bra or hellicoper tape.
Last edited by young on Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Yeah I did that recently, my guard seem to come in at 20.2g though!
Next on the list is to remove the Front Chain catcher (14g) and replace with a carbon one 2.2g)