Cervelo S3 Disc - New DA R9200 Rebuild + Pics + Build List (Page 7+8) - New Alps/Seatpost Weight 6.62 kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Question, do you like the Hylix seatpost ? Was thinking about buying one for the BMC. Pretty nice bike - with a very nice weight !!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Hey PinaRene, I am on the fence on the Hylix, whilst the listings state it fits this Cervelo, the shape is a fraction bigger all round than the original, this requires sanding to fit, due to the tight fit, the Cervelo wedge seatclamp is also not sitting perfectly, I haven't done much of a long ride on it, but am worried about it, which isn't a good place to be..

Ooookaaay

by Ooookaaay

Nice aero build! Could you please specs what to bolts are used for brakes calipers?

stevec1975

by stevec1975

stevec1975 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:54 am
Hey PinaRene, I am on the fence on the Hylix, whilst the listings state it fits this Cervelo, the shape is a fraction bigger all round than the original, this requires sanding to fit, due to the tight fit, the Cervelo wedge seatclamp is also not sitting perfectly, I haven't done much of a long ride on it, but am worried about it, which isn't a good place to be..
So a long story on this, the Hylix seatpost originally supplied was not to tolerance, a half mm on a seatpost in a few directions meant that this was never going to fit, so 7 months back and forth with the eBay seller, and providing the actual dimensions of the OEM Cervelo post, I have been sent a 'revised' version, very slightly heavier than the first one (142.8g for a 365mm Length) but when cut down to the required length for me it comes out at 125.6g (Saving 44.6g over my current one)

It does have a great feature where you can swap around the head clamp area to provide either 15mm or Zero offset.

notnow

by notnow

Insane build! My 2021 Cervelo S-Series Di2 (S3) is stuck at 7.34kg without pedals, any suggestions on next best $/g upgrade?
56cm, Ultegra Di2 52/36 w/ Di2 bar end junction, original weight was 8.35kg without pedals.

Changes:
Drive 50D wheelset @ 1320g incl. tape
Dura-Ace 11-32T Cassette
28mm GP5000 tires
Tubolito S Tubo Tubes
Selle San Marco Aspide (113g)
J&L Skewers
Hylix seatpost (cut maybe ~2 inch off)
160/140 MT800 rotors
Slightly lighter stem bolts (-2g)
5x lightweight bottle cage bolts(-4g)

I can save another 200g by swapping over to Dura-Ace, probably ~80g in a 50/34 DA crankset alone, and another 20g for removing the chainstay protector.
But even so, I'd be no where near your weight especially if your weight includes comp mount, comp? and pedals!
Unless my $10 amazon luggage scale is wrong...

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Nice bike, love that colour scheme.

Looks like you have headed in the right direction with your upgrades, to be honest I am amazed yours is not lighter than it is, worthwhile getting the weight validated in a friendly bike shop with a Park scale.

A few suggestions for making yours lighter:
• Changing the crank with a Sram DUB D1 Arms and Powermeter and corresponding BB would save you a bit over stock, approx 70g on BB and the same on the Cranks 140g total saved
• Stock bars to Prime Aero 45g saved
• Pedals to Speedplay 100g saved
• Lots of small piece (Sigeyi Hangar, 3D Printed Top Cap and Bar End, Lighter Bottle Cages could yield c40g saved.

The weight for mine includes pedals, cages, computer mount, but not the Computer, also, the lightest version is with lightweight tyres I use in the summer, the weight the rest of the time is 6.79 Kg.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Getting ready for the Alps

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

stevec1975 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:08 pm
So...

Some updates, as part of my yearly strip and rebuild..

Cranks:
Sanded/Polished Quarq Cranks (The logo's have always annoyed me!)

Savings 4.3g
Sorry to dredge up an old post. But can you share your process for sanding down the cranks. I want to do the same with a set of RED cranks.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Started with 400 grit sandpaper, used lots of water, and progressively move to finer grades to remove the fine scratches, think I went 400 > 600 > 800 > 1200.

I then polished using some car polish (T-Cut) to get a mirror finished.

In other news, I am thinking about stripping the yellow paint off the Cervelo, taking it back to bare carbon (I have done this before on an old Scott CR1), any thoughts/suggestions anyone?

scottydonald

by scottydonald

stevec1975 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:00 pm
Started with 400 grit sandpaper, used lots of water, and progressively move to finer grades to remove the fine scratches, think I went 400 > 600 > 800 > 1200.

I then polished using some car polish (T-Cut) to get a mirror finished.

In other news, I am thinking about stripping the yellow paint off the Cervelo, taking it back to bare carbon (I have done this before on an old Scott CR1), any thoughts/suggestions anyone?
My s3 is basically bare carbon and i really like it. you either like it or hate it for bare carbon it seems.

Gary71

by Gary71

I really like the yellow. I think it is striking and a point of difference. I would change the Cervelo logo (put a decal over the existing - like make the Velo black so it is a black and white contrast Cervelo :noidea: ) - although that's adding weight so I apologise