Cervelo S3 Disc - New DA R9200 Rebuild + Pics + Build List (Page 7+8) - New Alps/Seatpost Weight 6.62 kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Alternative to RAT is to replace rear derailleur hanger with the threaded one and get them from Robert Axle Project. He might be doing them for RAT as well my don't take my word on that

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Just changing out the bottom bracket, the stock Cervelo one is quite chunky...

Going to put a Quarq Dfour91 GXP PM and Wheels Manufacturing BB on:

Also, quite interesting, shows the effort that Cervelo go to to stop the internal brake hose/gear cables rattling inside the frame (the blue is foam around the hose, the grey is foam around the gear cables) - god knows how much that lot weighs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevec1975

by stevec1975

The carbon aero bars in 42cm supplied are fairly chunky! 279.8g. I don't have many options to get lighter as they are proprietary (double cable grooves that extend into the clamping area for cables to go through the stem)

also, I have had a long and interesting conversation with Cervelo about swapping the bars out to 38cm versions, in short, I am getting some, for a good price, but it was painful!

jelledb

by jelledb

Following this build 😊. I absolutely love Cervelo’s models. The RAT system, although a bit on the heavier, are actually quite nice in usage. They’re chunky but are way quicker than the dt Swiss Allen key screw ones on my CX bikes.

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

For lighter thru axle I used

https://www.bike24.com/p2290030.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-L-Thru-Axl ... tQ6Aiwbq1A

The rear skewer I bought was slightly longer, this seller did not have the Cervelo compatable listing. I would advise further reasearch on those lenghts. Should add my axle is 176 and is slightly too long but still works. So 170 may well be good for the rear.

For the fork thread nut I use this model. Correct thread pitch for the J&L axle above

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... u-Axle-Nut

Hope this helps, if you find any better ideas please put them on this thread. The above solution already save about ~120-150grams

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Thanks so much Francois, super useful, I have pretty much ordered everything above, it should save approx. 104grams over the RAT QR axles. Getting close to having this built, waiting on new bars and a few small pieces.

brearley

by brearley

Do you have a weight for the 380 bars yet?

I'm assuming you won't be removing the stem for weights but would it be possible to see how the cables route internally. I'm wondering if another 1 1/4 stem would work still internally

1llum4

by 1llum4

https://www.cervelo.com/media/gene-cms/ ... .2_web.pdf

You can only use the cervelo stem made for the S3. Third party bar can work but they need a hole at the back of the clamping aera for cable to pass into the stem

stevec1975

by stevec1975

For anyone else who wants to convert their RAT axles to Thru-axle on an S3, the rear worked a dream, saves lots of weight, and looks much cleaner..

Original:
New:

For the Front, the Kinesis nut linked above does not work, the S3 fork has a 3mm allen to attach the fork insert and the Kinesis just falls off, the only option is to get the specific Cervelo one from the robert axle project

Original:
New:

Need to get this bit..

@Brearly: Getting the 380mm Bars on Saturday, will then be able to finish the build, will obvs weigh them and post on here. I am not taking out the Stem to weigh it as all the cables are in place, it is a big p.i.t.a to adjust the stem anyway, no room for allen keys, (the allen key in the 2nd pic below is for headset adjustment) there is another one hidden further down, past stiff cables, that tightens the stem to the fork.

1llum4

by 1llum4

Cervelo have now available some aero threaded thru-axle that works with all C, R and S series disc bikes.

The complete setup needed would be the following parts:
1xQRI-THD Threaded insert for the fork
1xDRH-WMN112 Threaded Thru-axle Derailleur Hanger
1xQRA-AERO-F Front Threaded aero thru-axle
1xQRA-AERO-R Rear Threaded aero thru-axle

stevec1975

by stevec1975

cheers 1llum4, would have got the Cervelo fork insert version If I had known!

The 38cm bars arrived, much heavier than I was expecting (270.7.g versus 279.8 for the 42cm) - I didn't do it to save weight, but was expecting a better result.

Just need to get the time outside of running to finish this build up

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

Good find on the front retaining nut. Mine worked on a R3 disc 2018. But as you have found probably found, it is tricky to tighten and will fall off when undone. To me it was ok compromise. But the image you have there looks like a way better solution. Please let me know if you can source just the nut or if it comes as a unit with the axle.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

So finished this off a few days ago..

First off, the build list:

Then did an 80 mile ride to bed it in, first observations are:

Corners like its on rails, really solid front end
Quicker handling/more reactive than my Scott
Super stiff bottom bracket area
Cruising along at 20mph felt easy (based on HR/Power) but could have been new bike syndrome
Smooth/Quick to accelerate (probably linked to the above)
Climbs well
Much more comfort than I was expecting at the rear
Dura Ace Mechanical is superb

Front end, due to its solidity, was a bit harsh over potholes
Disc brakes are not much better than well setup calipers in the dry
Barfly mount comes loose easily, need threadlock on there
Probably need a zero degree offset post at some point, to get the position perfect.
There is no getting around it, it is heavy, but honestly didn't feel it, need to try long steep climbs to see how that plays out.

A few tweaks to the build may happen, but for now, super happy with it

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

Interesting choice of gearing - I might have expected you to go for semi compact and an 11-28. Any particular reason for the compact?
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I just prefer compact, and with the smaller front chainring I can stay in the 50 most of the time, the cassette choice was to accommodate the Alps

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com