2015 Emonda SLR Build (Now 6.39kg, 60cm H2) - targeting 6.30kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

FIJIGabe wrote:Comparing the two bikes on a head-to-head is a bit difficult, because they have different wheels, which I think contributes a little to the feel, especially on the Madone (having Zipp wheels, which are notoriously flexible). The only component they've shared is the old groupset (DA9000), which doesn't really impact things.

On the front end, the Madone is, without question, stiffer. You are right, the the aero-shaped bars transmit more of the road feel than the setup on the Emonda. Additionally, the bars on the Emonda are not the stiffest bars I've ever ridden, which I think would dampen the sensation. The Emonda isn't noodly (it's actually quite lively, I would say), but there's definitely a difference in how they feel.

Regarding the rear of the bike, the Emonda does feel noticeably livelier and stiffer. I don't know what level Madone you were riding (I have the H2, 600-series carbon frame), but I think the IsoSpeed on the Madone 9's was more akin to what was available on the first-gen Domanes and Boones (pivot) rather than the later editions, which had the entire seattube (personally, I don't like riding my Madone on the trainer - I feel like it moves too much, unnecessarily). On the road, the Madone does a good job of muting a lot of the road buzz, which the Emonda doesn't do. The Emonda definitely transmits more of the road feel (which isn't a bad thing - except when riding on rough Texas chip-seal roads, which can be a killer). I'm not complaining about the Emonda, at all. I'm actually quite happy with it, but it feels different.

Overall, if I'm doing a long ride in Houston, where it's completely flat, I'm riding my Madone. Once I head to Central Texas, I'm taking the Emonda. Either way, I'm going to be happy with my choice.

Now... time to find some deals on some used Di2 components.
You’re right, you can’t really compare much if you’re using different setups, particularly wheels, as they make a huge difference to the ride experience. Wheels were one of the things we were testing out a lot on the Madone, trying Enve 6.7’s, Bontrager Aeolus 5’s, Lightweights and Boras. So I got a good feel for all. Mixing and matching. The Madone I had was the H1, 700 series carbon in a size 60.
The isospeed on last year’s madone was really nothing like the isospeed on the older Domanes, in that is was still two separate pieces, with a solid piece of frame on the Madone tied to the top tube and the bottom bracket with a pivoting (on the bushing) levered seat tube inside, pushing up against an elastomer bushing. A tube within a tube if you will. Whereas the older Domanes, and similarly like my Koppenberg, very simply has the bushing going right through the seat tube allowing both pivot and flex of the entire seattube/seatstays on through the top tube. I think it’s their best, and simplest design.
Yeah, but for sure from my testing the Emonda SL against the Madone, using similar setups where it matters most (wheels), the Madone was in no way more comfortable. Maybe the “comfort” differences were due to the lighter, stiffer, higher modulus carbon used in your Emonda SLR versus your H2 Madone, and the SLR’s overall lighter weight in general. I would expect it to feel much more “alive and sprightly” than the Madone. In fact, that’s what we were trying to remedy with the Madone, along with the braking... a kind of dead feeling with ENVE 6.7’s. But I guess at the end of the day, we ride what we like, whatever that might be.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Yeah, exactly. I wouldn’t call the Madone‘s ride characteristic as “dead”, but certainly more muted, when compared to the Emonda. Where the Emonda is livelier, the Madone is tuned more to putting in long, sustained efforts with less feedback. Figure it this way: if I’ve got a flat course, and I’m doing a long effort, the Madone is my weapon of choice, hands down.

And after your analysis, I’m glad I got my wife a 2013 Domane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Made a couple of upgrades, today. I swapped over the stem bolts to Ti (-10g change) and changed the headset to a Cane Creek AEM headset (w/ lightweight bearing, -19g, total).

New bike weight is at 6.57kg. Slowly, but surely making my way down to 6.5kg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I updated the bike a while ago, and never got arount to taking any photos or updating the thread. Gone is DA9000, in its place, I've got DA9070. I was able to maintain the weight right at 6.58kg, even though I had to replace the large ring with an AbsoluteBlack round chainring, since the DA9000 stuff is becoming so hard to find. Luckily, though, I was able to get a new 52T DA9000 front ring, recently, and will be putting it on, completing the look.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Looking nice, one change I'd recommend is the Di2 cable routing on the FD, does it fit behind the FD?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I agree, the FD wire routing isn’t pretty, but every photo I’ve seen, online, has it that way (even the pro bike photos I saw had it routed this way). Not an ideal routing situation.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Recently acquired a Bontrager XXX Bar/Stem combo, so I decided to rewire/cable the bike w/ a bar-end Di2 Junction A. Dropped the weight to 6.43kg. I've already gotten a quote for the Bontrager XXX saddle, which I should be picking up in late November!

I'll try to post some photos, this evening.

jwalther

by jwalther

FIJIGabe wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:30 pm
Recently acquired a Bontrager XXX Bar/Stem combo, so I decided to rewire/cable the bike w/ a bar-end Di2 Junction A. Dropped the weight to 6.43kg. I've already gotten a quote for the Bontrager XXX saddle, which I should be picking up in late November!

I'll try to post some photos, this evening.
I tried the XXX saddle for a couple of months. It's really very comfortable on smooth roads. You will regret your purchase however when you hit your first unexpected pothole!
2023 Capitol Bicycles Custom Ti
2019 Felt Breed 30
2013 Co-Motion Supremo when the wife wants to ride

Attermann

by Attermann

Why didn't you buy the original? It's just a Berk rip off

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

Nothing against Berk, but how many times have they had issues with their saddles breaking? I haven't read about any QC with the XXX saddles. Maybe because they have better build quality.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Took some photos of the bike, this morning, showing off the new bars and cable routing.

Regarding the new saddle, I get Bontrager stuff much cheaper than other manufacturers, and have had positive experiences with their products (they even replaced a broken handlebar, well after the warranty had expired). Also, the XXX saddle is about 10g lighter than the Berk saddle (but that's offset by the slightly heavier saddle clamp I will have to use - the 7x10 clamp is 10g heavier than the 7x9 clamp I have on there, now).

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I picked up a set of Bontrager Speed Stop Pro’s (190g) for $115. They’re 25g heavier than the eeBrakes they “emulate”, but a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER! I was able to drop 23g going from the first gen Speed Stops (now marketed as Elites) to these.

Bike weight is down to 6.39kg, including my Blendr duo mount (I’ll weight it with the single, later).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Osciozo

by Osciozo

FIJIGabe wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:41 pm
Took some photos of the bike, this morning, showing off the new bars and cable routing.

Regarding the new saddle, I get Bontrager stuff much cheaper than other manufacturers, and have had positive experiences with their products (they even replaced a broken handlebar, well after the warranty had expired). Also, the XXX saddle is about 10g lighter than the Berk saddle (but that's offset by the slightly heavier saddle clamp I will have to use - the 7x10 clamp is 10g heavier than the 7x9 clamp I have on there, now).

Hello!

I was wondering if you could help me. First of all, wonderful project, you haver a verny nice Emonda. Rigth now, I'm working in something similar, with a Emonda SLR6 2015. Originally came with Ultegra 6800. I upgraded the crank (ultegra 8000 52/36) and the cassette (Ultegra 8000 11-28). And I think that was OK...

Until I tried Di2.

My Tri bike (Quintana Roo PRSix) came with a mix of DA9050 and UT8050 and change the world to me. Yeah, maybe I'm a little late joining this train, but :noidea:

So, I want to upgrade the entire transmition to Ultegra 8050. I kinda know which items I need, but I'm struggling with the cable's length. Could you please help me with that?

Thank you in advance

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Wiring this frame really depends on the size of your bike. If you decide to wire the bike with the bar-end Junction-A, then you'll need a long wire to connect the shifters, as well as a long wire to connect the shifters to the Junction-B. If memory serves, I used 750mm wire from the RD to the Junction-B and from the battery to the Junction-B. The FD uses a shorter wire, though (600 or 650mm, I think).

What I would recommend is that you look for a wiring "kit". They're usually designed to cover all your bases and provide you with everything you'll need to wire the frame, depending on size. One thing I will advise you is that the wire from one shifter to the other needs to be long, since many (most) handlebars have the inlet on the drops, so you'll have to route the wire from the farthest shifter to the Junction-A. This is a great place to bury the bluetooth module, so you can use a shorter wire, here, with the BT module as an "extender" of sorts (that's what I did).

Let me know if this helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Osciozo

by Osciozo

Thank you for your response.

My frame is 56, h2 geometry. I'm trying to keep it clean in the front, so I'm also looking for a integrated handlebar/steem combo.
Right now is very difficult (maybe I should say impossible) to find a Di2 set here in Chile, so everything for me has to be bought online. For that reason, I'm want to be very precise with the hardware needed.

Thank you!