My TIME Alpe d' Huez

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

flying

by flying

Nicely Finished Congrats :beerchug:

Does Time happen to make a headset spacer that is shaped so it does not appear
so much smaller at that junction?

I noticed this Swiss Arc8 Carbon frame is very similar in that headset area & they have a spacer
that matches shape so fills in that area nicely...example below

https://www.arc8bicycles.com/framesets/ ... rigin=shop
EgelmairPhotography_ARC8_highres-3596.jpg

dgasmd

by dgasmd

flying wrote:Does Time happen to make a headset spacer that is shaped so it does not appear
so much smaller at that junction?

I noticed this Swiss Arc8 Carbon frame is very similar in that headset area & they have a spacer
that matches shape so fills in that area nicely
If you are referring to the soft rubber groomet looking piece under the stem, I believe that is a cap that does come with the Time frame, but I could be wrong. That used regardless of the spacers.

What is more peculiar to me from the link and pict above is how incredibly similar those 2 frame sets are. Like, A LOTImageImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

dgasmd wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:53 pm
If you are referring to the soft rubber groomet looking piece under the stem, I believe that is a cap that does come with the Time frame, but I could be wrong. That used regardless of the spacers.
No not the cap & yes both frames use them (similar above headset)
But I meant the spacer itself which sits below the stem is shaped to match

The pic I previously posted with just the frame has the spacer under stem

This pic of same frame but full build does not have that shaped spacer because stem is slammed
escapee-record_180926_145602.jpg

kgt

by kgt

No, Time does not offer such a spacer. You either slam the stem for the 'integrated' look or you use the classic carbon spacer-s.
BTW this Swiss-Chinese Arc8 frame is more like a Canyon SLX than a Time Alpe d'Huez IMHO.
Last edited by kgt on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

flying

by flying

kgt wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:30 pm
No, Time does not offer such a spacer. You either slam the stem for the 'integrted' look or you use the classic carbon spacer-s.
BTW this Swiss-Chinese Arc8 frame is more like a Canyon SLX than a Time Alpe d'Huez IMHO.
Pity that they dont...would look good.

Yes about that Arc8 frame I know nothing about them
Joshua Riddle Campagnolo's pr guy posted it on IG today & when I saw it I remembered seeing
your finished frame yesterday & had thought about that spacer looking odd then.

Then today I was surprised when I saw that arc8 on IG with basically the same shape above the headset

kgt

by kgt

Spring-Summer outfit with white saddle and bartape.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

kgt wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:57 am
Spring-Summer outfit with white saddle and bartape.

Looks great with white tape and saddle. I tried one of those saddles once, and it was the most painful thing in history for me. I still hurt every time I see one in another bike!!!

kgt

by kgt

Thanks!
Sure, saddle fit is a very personal thing although SMP saddles have many fans.

kgt

by kgt

So, first ride with Super Record EPS today.

My only experience with electronic groupset was one with Ultegra di2, several years ago, that I did not enjoy much.

In a few words: this thing works perfectly. The way it is always self tuned is really impressive. It is like having the spirit of Calnago adjusting your gears every 5'. No sounds, no friction, just fit and forget.
Can you achive the same result in a mechanical groupset? Almost. IME you can achive like 95% of the same performance but not 100%. And, sooner or later, you will have to adjust it from the start (like after you replace cables). You certainly need to have knowledge, time and patience to achieve a similar result, and some, that some people do not have.
Moreover EPS offers some nice options in terms of how shifters work. You can invert the use of shifters, or use only the right shifters, or shift one gear each time, or multiple, faster or smoother etc .etc. I doubt I will ever need all this convenience but someone may need it someday, and this is a plus.
The MyCampy app is cool but not great. It took me a couple of days to make it work after it kept on crashing. I did all the updates, firmware etc. and it worked. It is very intelligent and offers many options. The connection to Garmin and My garage, My sessions, Riding profiles and Diagnostics are useful to have. Again, I doubt I will need all these. It is a very cool app to have it but not necessary.

To sum up: I still believe that Campagnolo Chorus mechanical is the best groupset of all in terms of performace/price/aesthetics. I would never pay premium price to buy an EPS groupset. But I payed for the upgrade kit less than I would pay for a Campagnolo Athena mechanical, and it definitely worths it.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Welcome to the world of electronic...

It really is the way to go... next step hydro disc ;)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Very good write up on EPS. It really does Just Work all the time and eps still gives that mechanical clunk sound.

Question.... can the eps levers be setup to shift like etap? Left lever up the cassette right lever down the cassette, both to shift front? V3 I am talking about.

Cheers

kgt

by kgt

Which levers exactly? EPS has two left levers and two right levers. In any case I don't think that you can customize a function that works by pressing both levers at the same time.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Here in the U.S., there are some blow out prices on all Time bikes/framesets. I'm seriously considering an Alp D'huez with Aktiv fork frame.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Super nice