Arabesque - Trying something "real" Built p4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KarlC

by KarlC

kidrob wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:57 pm
Oh my god dude, she is beautiful! Well done!

Yes it looks amazing !

You are making me want to build up my Master again

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iwantone

by iwantone

Beautiful build!

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Wonderful down to every detail. How does she ride and how would you describe that Brooks?

shipley

by shipley

Yey!!!

Knew you’d do it proud !!

Well done my friend, it’s looks fantastic. I think I need to do a classic build now :lol:

We’ll done once again - hope it rides as good as it looks :thumbup:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Look565w wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:31 pm
Well, it's finally finished & manage to take some pictures :-)

Hope you like!

Indeed I do like! It's nice to see the art of a fine build is still being practiced now and then.

Some minor niggles that would bug me to the point I had to redo it before I rode it... I mean, if we're seeking perfection and all... and this build is so close...

Front brake housing is on the short side. A bit longer and it would create that elusive "all cable intersect" within a 5-10mm circle exactly centered just below the stem, and a nicer "line" upwards from the brake caliper before starting it's curve towards the center... you've already got three of the four in the perfect place, shame not to get that perfect intersect with all four...

Still think you should lose the PTFE tubing here on this bike. Doesn't need it and would look cleaner without it. Plus, the open ends under the down tube will just allow water/dust/crud to eventually flow down into the tubes and defeat the entire purpose of them in the first place. Since you have a nice cable guide under the BB shell, the addition of the tubing isn't really reducing friction at all, unless the front derailleur cable rubs on the edge of the chainstay bridge as it passes through on its way to the front derailleur...

Agree with @themidge on where the tape should end... bascially to that ridge in the bars (not Cinelli bars by the way, midge). Kind of what it's there for... it will finish up nice with the tape brought uniformly to that edge...

Lastly, beautiful hubs, but I'm wondering how sturdy the build will be. Those Revolutions are very light spokes, and you have so few of them. Coupled with low profile rims, I'm not sure how they will hold up or ride. Depends on your weight and power I suppose, but they'd be too light for me for sure. Look forward to your thoughts when you ride them. Also, is that T11 front hub rated for radial lacing? Some hubs aren't as they're just too little material between the hole and the flange to stand up well over time. Although they do look like they have a good amount of material in that area.

Super nice build, and everything I mentioned is just minor stuff that can be changed (if you care to), next time you put on new socks etc. The wheels however... I will look forward to hearing what you think of them and whether they seem up to the task.

Was looking forward to this completed build... great pics makes it all the more nice to look at. Well done!

Cal
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Very very nice and clean looking!! Love it!

themidge

by themidge

Calnago wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:43 pm

(not Cinelli bars by the way, midge).
Oof, so they aren't, Cinelli bars have that too. I don't like the design really, it seems a bit industrial compared to a continuous tube like my favourite 3ttt's.

flying

by flying

Very Nice!
Congrats on a beautiful build :beerchug:

markyboy

by markyboy

Nice one chung looks lovely.
Have you ridden it yet? I love my master rides like a dream i would go as far as saying best bike i have owned.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Look565w

by Look565w

Thank you to all for the compliments & feedback, it is very much appreciated!

It makes my wee project all the more worthwhile & knowing that I've some how managed to made a half decent job of it :-)

This was my first ever attempt on a "retro" build & it was so much fun doing the research, selecting/sourcing the parts & finally building it, I feel a bit sad now that it's finished :-(

To the folks who have asked me how does the bike ride - the honest answer is - I don't know!
Simply because I haven't ridden it yet :-) I'm waiting for our weather to settled down first & have to pick the right day to do so, it's not easy in Scotland!
So, hopefully I'll have a report of that soon!

As for theMidge & Calnago's suggestion, I'll definitely bear those points in mind when I eventually come to "revise" any parts & components. Unlike my other bikes, I see my Arabesque like working on an big oil painting, where it will probably never be finished or settled :-) I will no doubt keep going back & change things around!
But for now I will ride it as it is & see if it rides as good as it looks :-) I really hope so!

I'm actually quite surprised & relieved that it turned out as well as it did, since this vintage/colour lends itself (as many have pointed out earlier) to having white finishing kit!
My idea was to simply have black & polish silver to create a more "purposeful look". It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I think I've done not too bad here :-)

Anyway, thank you all again & for sure I will update this thread as & when I have made any changes :-)

Cheers

Look565w

by Look565w

"Some minor niggles that would bug me to the point I had to redo it before I rode it... I mean, if we're seeking perfection and all... and this build is so close...

Front brake housing is on the short side. A bit longer and it would create that elusive "all cable intersect" within a 5-10mm circle exactly centered just below the stem, and a nicer "line" upwards from the brake caliper before starting it's curve towards the center... you've already got three of the four in the perfect place, shame not to get that perfect intersect with all four...

Lastly, beautiful hubs, but I'm wondering how sturdy the build will be. Those Revolutions are very light spokes, and you have so few of them. Coupled with low profile rims, I'm not sure how they will hold up or ride. Depends on your weight and power I suppose, but they'd be too light for me for sure. Look forward to your thoughts when you ride them. Also, is that T11 front hub rated for radial lacing? Some hubs aren't as they're just too little material between the hole and the flange to stand up well over time. Although they do look like they have a good amount of material in that area.

Super nice build, and everything I mentioned is just minor stuff that can be changed (if you care to), next time you put on new socks etc. The wheels however... I will look forward to hearing what you think of them and whether they seem up to the task.

Was looking forward to this completed build... great pics makes it all the more nice to look at. Well done!

Great feedback as always, Cal!"

How much more cables you reckon I need to achieve that optimum curve? 15-20mm?

I'll defo. keep an eye out on the wheels, the low spokes was due to keeping weight down & the fact I was thinking of getting some carbon rims for this but funds didn't allow me for now. These Kinlin rims are cheap as chips -£35 each :-)
My plan was to get the low drilling hubs for future upgrade, like you said these are gorgeously made & super smooth.
My friend who suggest these hubs did mention about the radial lacing issue, but I think he checked & said these are fine!
To be honest, I doubt I can produce the power to trouble these wheels & I only weight 63kg, plus these rims are "meant" to be stiff.

Appreciate your comment re my photos! :-)
It's the first time I've ever taken so much effort in taken photos for my bike. I took these around 7.30-8.30am on a good day utilising the favourable lighting & had to drive around a few local landmark before I settled on this location :-)
Again it's made the effort all the more worth it!

Cheers

dcj9

by dcj9

Super classy build, you must be over the moon. Love the frame colour in particular. If it was mine I would have grey mavic rims, tan wall tyres and white handlebar tape, but that's just me. I know most people on the forum would absolutely prefer it just the way it is.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

tasty!!! :D

ChrisBici

by ChrisBici

I know this is an old topic but read this post for first time today couldn't resist adding my opinion :beerchug: unless I'm showing the bike , not riding it , would always choose the bottle cage that actually does holds your bottles in it. I never enjoy the panicky feeling of suddenly dodging a bounced out bottle in a bunch - terrifying and very lucky not to crash . Also having one less bottle in a race is mentally & physically so hard , especially on a hot day , not to mention sad to lose / scrape a nice bottle . Ha ha - zombie post !! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com