Arabesque - Trying something "real" Built p4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ecl2k

by ecl2k

What do you think the max tire clearance would be on that frame? 28?

Look565w

by Look565w

ecl2k wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:08 pm
What do you think the max tire clearance would be on that frame? 28?
ecl2k, images for you:

FMB Paris Roubaix 25mm tubular on Nemesis alloy rims

Clearance for rear bridge & brake - plenty around 4-5mm

Drive side chain stay - around 3mm

Non-drive side chain stay - around 3mm

Front cleanrance same 25mm tubs - less than 3mm

So, 25mm definetly no problem, but 28mm will not be possible for the front. Luckily I'm only planning on using 25mm tyres :-)

Are you thinking of getting one of these frame yourself?

Hope that helps!

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shipley

by shipley

Chung ( :beerchug: ) - so please to see you still have the compulsion. That looks beautiful.....now hurry up and finish the build :D

Can’t wait to see it

Cheers

Andrew

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Look565w wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:24 pm
How's it coming along. I meant to comment on this when I saw it, but I notice you are using some tubing and one of my most coveted grub seals for your Arabesque front derailleur cable under the BB routing. I would suggest no tubing at all here. A frame like this has a decent cable guide under the shell, and the cable itself doesn't have to go over any hard edges, thus there is no need for this tubing, and you can save that precious grub seal for something else.
The only reason I started using the liner under the BB shells was because I had to, I would have much preferred to have nothing except the cable guide present. But with the introduction of the C59, there were two places the exposed cable would touch the frame... coming around the back of the BB shell, then again on the edge of the hole in the chainstay bridge. In fact, when I first noticed a liner being used here it was from a picture I zeroed in on on Thomas Voeklers bike and thought... why are they using a liner there. It wasn't until I actually got my own C59 that I realized why. But if it's not necessary, and I don't think it is here (double check that the cable isn't rubbing excessively on the bridge between the stays when connected), then go without it. Save those grub seals, they are awesome and I've not been able to find any that are as nice and flexible and that seal as well around the cable as the one supplied with Campy cable set, they seal the end of the tubing from elements and grit very well. Wish I could source a few externally. But you don't need it or the tubing here. It's better without and cleaner looking as well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Look565w

by Look565w

Hi Calnago, well spotted & yes, tubing & "grub seals" installed ....... just for now!

Build is slow & taking my time, one or two of the old second hand parts are a bit "iffy" so have to make sure they work properly first before installing, last thing I want to do is put everything together & finding out some bits (especially the shifters, which is old) doesn't exactly work as it should be then having to take it off again wasting bar tapes etc.

I think you're right about the cables not touching the frame BB, but I went ahead & installed the tubes anyway as I am too cautious with this frame, plus the guy who had it before me left a ever so very slight mark on that particular area, though I'm not sure if its cable rub at all.

As for your "...... most coveted grub seals", I assume it's these you're referring to?

If it is, then I have a few kicking about. I can send you one if you want, no problem!
Just let me know, I think I've still got your address on the envelope from the last time you posted me those "surgical tubings".

I thought these bits of treasure comes with every set of new Campag cable sets. So, should you not have a stash of them? :D

Cheers
Last edited by Look565w on Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Oh yes a proper bicycle. There's a chap over here who dies some lovely polishing work and can turn potenza into something absurbly pretty

Look565w

by Look565w

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:12 pm
Oh yes a proper bicycle. There's a chap over here who dies some lovely polishing work and can turn potenza into something absurbly pretty
Sounds cool!

Do you have a link for his work?

Cheers
Last edited by Look565w on Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Look565w wrote: As for your "...... most coveted grub seals", I assume it's these you're referring to?

If it is, then I have a few kicking about. I can send you one if you want, no problem!
Just let me know, I think I've still got your address on the envelope from the last time you posted me those "surgical tubings".

I thought these bits of treasure comes with every set of new Campag cable sets. So, should you not have a stash of them? :D

Cheers
Yes, it comes with the cable kits, and as such I do have a few “stashed” since many builds would have no use for it, but thanks for the offer. That’s why I was advising you to save it in this case, for “when it counts”. Like Elaine from Seinfeld, with her “sponges”.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cveks

by cveks

great looking bike...

Congratulations on choice.

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

looks pretty, love it

Look565w

by Look565w

Well, it's finally finished & manage to take some pictures :-)

Hope you like!

kidrob

by kidrob

Oh my god dude, she is beautiful! Well done!

themidge

by themidge

Beautiful! Doesn't even need gum wall tyres :D

One thing I would say though is with those cinelli bars it looks way better if you tape them all the way to the edge of the sleeve (the wider bit), though thinner bar tape might be required to make that look right.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com