Arabesque - Trying something "real" Built p4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I agree with kgt, a nice Rolls, Regal or Turbo would go well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

And if you get decent white tape (i've got some of the faux leather fizik stuff) it stays white with minimal upkeep.

And we have similar weather to you

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

third that. san marco regal titanium rails with silver buttons. the copper ones tarnish when exposed to air.

Roel W

by Roel W

Nice but this kind of bike desires a silver headset and not a black one like on the first picture.
Is that black headset the Chorus you were talking about?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

there is a silver headset there.

Look565w

by Look565w

Roel W wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:39 pm
Nice but this kind of bike desires a silver headset and not a black one like on the first picture.
Is that black headset the Chorus you were talking about?
Sorry for the confusion guys!
The black generic Colnago branded headset that was in one of the photo have already been taken out!
Indeed I have a Chorus 1” silver Threadless headset ready to be installed! :-)

Look565w

by Look565w

kgt wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:33 am
IMO Brooks is not a good match for this frame. A leather San Marco Regal or Regal evo is a much better choice.

https://www.merlincycles.com/san-marco- ... 01295.html
I agree about the San Marco saddles!

However my back side is rather suited to "narrower" saddle type, I had actually already looked into the SM Regal for this build but the width is wider than my Ariones (which I have on all my bikes), the SM Regal is even wider than the Antares that I had tried in the past but just found it too wide for me :-( ......... hence the Regal being omitted from this build :(

Therefore, thats why I went with the Brooks Cambium & specifically the C13 with 132mm width, as this is almost the same as my Ariones. The C13 is AFAIK produces in Italy & I think the shape/profile/design is rather old school too, so I think it should match ......... but more importantly - hopefully I find it comfortable :shock:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brooks-england ... 8753674733

KotP

by KotP

Look565w wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:00 pm

Sorry for the confusion guys!
The black generic Colnago branded headset that was in one of the photo have already been taken out!
Indeed I have a Chorus 1” silver Threadless headset ready to be installed! :-)
That should teach me to look more carefully.

Regarding saddles, my vote is for a white Selle Italia Turbo or NOS Flite, but it's not a democracy, so whatever the ass prefers.

kgt

by kgt

A NOS Flite is a good choice too.

Look565w

by Look565w

c60rider wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:42 am
Look565w wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:31 pm
c60rider wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:50 pm
+1 on Deltas!! Mine stop me well enough. Just as long as I plan it far enough ahead! The fine details on this might be tricky, bar tape colour, brake cable colour, saddle etc I wonder if white tape and cables would suit as black cables would stand out too much against the frame. And the frame is the star of the show here.
Um ............ the thought of white bar tape, saddle & cables have certainly been considered ........ but really not sure about all that since white bar tape is a real pain to keep "white" (I've had experience of that) especially in our wet Scottish weather. My saddle choice is Brooks Cambium for this build & unfortunetly the C13 "only" comes in black :noidea:
................. ok, maybe white cables then :mrgreen:

Either way, I envisage this build of mine will be a process of "evolution" where I will no doubt start changing things as soon as I get it finish.
I suppose thats the beauty about these old style frames, where if done correctly, old & modern part can both work well!

Thanks for the comment & Best wishes for the New Year, guys!
There was a recent thread about how to keep white bar tape white but clean but it's the cheapest thing to change on a bike if it gets tatty. But definitely old and modern go well together which is exactly what I did on my own steel refurb 18 months ago.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=148462
Thanks for your link, C60rider!

I came across your bike before but not the actual build thread, had a quick glance & really like your build ....... & those Deltas ...... :thumbup:

Also, I alway live by the rule that bar tape should match the saddle colour, but seeing how yours came out alright & if I can get some "easier to maintain" white tape .......... then I just might :-)

Interesting to see you cross the shifter cables too, don't see it much these days, I've done it a few times in the past (& on my C60 also) but would probably do that for this build as I definetly don't want scuff paint work around the HT.

P.S - I see our C60 are te same colour scheme :-)

Cheers

themidge

by themidge

kgt wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:56 am
A NOS Flite is a good choice too.
+1 The most versatile semi-retro saddle IMO, looks good on a lot of builds.

Look565w

by Look565w

Right, enough of the saddle for the time being!

I need help on the bottle cages :D
I've got 2 options, the Chris King Stainless steel or Condor Stainless steel (which I think is a "copy" of the Nitto 80 model)

One on the down tube is CK & Seat tube one is Condor:

Thanks for the help :D

Cheers

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... now it’s getting tougher. I think I prefer the Condor. Not describing weight, but it just looks a bit lighter, more “airy” for lack of a better description. I think it ties in a bit better with the frame. As for function, I don’t know, that’s your call but it looks as though it is sturdy enough and will hold the bottles well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Look565w

by Look565w

Calnago wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:36 pm
Hmmm... now it’s getting tougher. I think I prefer the Condor. Not describing weight, but it just looks a bit lighter, more “airy” for lack of a better description. I think it ties in a bit better with the frame. As for function, I don’t know, that’s your call but it looks as though it is sturdy enough and will hold the bottles well.
How careless of me, it's WW after all :D

Chris Kings 45g & Condor 51g despite a thinner profile :shock: .......... the CK hold the bottle really well, done Flanders & Paris-Roubaix with no issue whatsoever. The Condors are fine but definetly not as grippy as the CK.

I'm with you on that the Condor - looks thinner & suits the frame better! Thanks for the feedback Calnago, always valuable!

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, when I mentioned “weight” I don’t really care what they actually weigh but the Condor just has a more lighter, airy “look” to it, and that’s the aspect that I think complements the frame. Actual weights be damned here. After all, the Arabesque frameset has a light airy “look” to it but we know it’s heavy by today’s carbon standards. But if the Condors don’t hold the bottles well enough, then you have to weigh function vs form.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ