Ghost Nivolet EBS 2015 (5.95 kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

StanK

by StanK

Waiting for my LBS guy to recover from knee surgery and put all those DA parts (which will be in 3 days time, on Thursday :D ) that are waiting in a box, I managed to solve headset bearing cover "problem".

I have 12mm cover (originally came with bike), and I want my handlebar further down. With no spacers left to remove I could only change cover to lower one, but turns out ... it wasn't that simple to find one, and be sure it would fit perfectly. Especially from esthetic point of view, so that gap from cover to top tube remain identical.

I tried couple of covers in my LBS, one came pretty close, but gap was aprox. 0,5-1mm more than with original and it looked ... not good.
I no longer remember where I found info, but long-story-short, I contacted "Grafix by Jorj" and very quickly I have new bearing cover. It was almost perfect, but only when I taked silicone ring from old cover and put it on new one ... that was it :mrgreen:

And in the proces I drop 12g on that part alone. Not bad for a 10 GBP. I actually I paid 20 GBP with shipping cost, but never mind ... It was worthy.

Original, 12mm cover

Grafix by Jorj, 5mm cover

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StanK

by StanK

So, finally …
DA 9000 parts are on my bike, fork is cutted "to the bottom" :D and after all that job done …

That is with no bar tape, no cyclo comp, with 120mm stem (111g) and with seat cover (surprisingly, I though it was a gram or two but when I put it on the scale … wow, 11g).

Frankly, I was surprised more than a little bit, because I was expected 40-45g more weight in total. All that I could think of is that LBS scale isn't that precise. But, last time it was, so …
When I came home, almost first thing I did is to put Ultegra parts on my trusty little scale and ... there was an answer. Some parts was considerably heavier that I though. Crankset, for example, was 696g not 677g.

So, with Cinelli Cork bar tape (42g), VDO cyclo comp (40g) with 110 mm stem (107g) and, of course, without seat cover …
6396g. If you do the math, you will find that I used 6329 g as starting point. In the end you will see why.

Btw. I re-weighed some parts in the process and turns out that, for example, wheels are 15g heavier. And now I know why. First time I put them on my table scale they lay on some soft plastic cup. Well, non-sturdy materials tend to "lose" weight (like, when you put the scale on carpet, for example), so … don't use something like that.

Now, with almost all parts personally weighed, I had to change that few estimated parts weight too.

Frame and fork … that's interested me the most. But I getting close :D
I finded data on just one web site, but that data is not 100% accurate, now I know for certain. Obviously there is some tolerances and it seems that I got lighter than usual frame :mrgreen:

In the meantime I realized that Shimano A600 pedals maybe isn't that good option that I think from begining. I covered almost 1000km on them, but on last 5-6 rides I was puzzled by some extra leg muscle fatigue. I wasn't tired after rides, but the feeling in my legs was as if I ride twice more kilometers.

Long story short, I was changed cleats (of all things) and find that Xpedo R-Force Ti pedals, which I was selling, but luckily didn't sold them, was pretty fine with those new (actually old, but…) cleats.

And bang, 125g down …

6271g.

Of course, there is a possibility that even Xpedo will not show well on a longer time, but with so much more float than Shimano remainds me of some old SPD pedals that I used last 20 years. Which is very good thing.

One really sunny one from few days ago ...

and few from "Belgian highway" from today ride.

Yeah, I know, it's a bit ancient, that cyclo komp. But I have no interest in Strava, social media of almost any kind, so ... 8)
And those housing isn't too symmetric either. Well, this is next on "to do" list.
----------------------------------

Btw. today I was still puzzled by these "lost" 40-45g, so ... I put some "Flintstones" set up in my room to weigh my bike with my table scale. Luckily, it measure up to 15kg in steps of 1g.

So, difference is only 1g. which is amazing, and this is now "official" weight. More amazing because LBS scale measure in 5g steps, so those 6330 g. at beginning was actually 6329 g. To the gram.

filip00

by filip00

Very nice looking bike! I remember when you first posted it on our local forum, I didn't know you'd go all weight weenie on it. Looks superb, I really like the color scheme.

One tip, when taking photos of the bike, for best look - put it in the highest gear (large chainring, smallest cog), turn the pedals horizontally and center valve stems on the ground.

StanK

by StanK

filip00 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:37 pm
Very nice looking bike! I remember when you first posted it on our local forum, I didn't know you'd go all weight weenie on it. Looks superb, I really like the color scheme.
Thanks.
I see you join here few days ago. Your Bianchi is also one of better looking bikes that I saw around here.

When purchasing Ghost in August 2017. I didn't planned to go weight weenie at all. I just wanted bike, as light as possible, for $1000-1500. It's was only September 2018 when I caught WW bug :mrgreen: Since then things were rolling pretty fast and now I changed all parts except frame/fork, headset and BB.
One might say that this isn't right way to go. But I sold pretty much everything from original set up, so I got very good, resonably light and almost new frame for almost silly money.
filip00 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:37 pm
One tip, when taking photos of the bike, for best look - put it in the highest gear (large chainring, smallest cog), turn the pedals horizontally and center valve stems on the ground.
Oh, I don't take it that seriously. But I'll remember your suggestion.
I just take pictures with my smartphone, for myself. Almost no preparation, just quick snapshot.

One day, when I say, "That's it, I will not change anything anymore", I'll call my brother, a semi-professional photographer, and we'll do a "proper" photo session. It may be this year (I have almost nothing left to change :D ), it may be never :beerchug:

filip00

by filip00

Using a professional photographer might be a bit too much imho :D but following those few simple steps before shooting a road bike, even with a smartphone, make the photos look so much better.

Regarding the WW bug - I think it's always like that. You start out with "I'll just change this little detail..." and then you change another one, and then another one :D

StanK

by StanK

filip00 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:10 pm
Using a professional photographer might be a bit too much imho :D but following those few simple steps before shooting a road bike, even with a smartphone, make the photos look so much better.
I don't think those "steps" make images any better. But if you like uniformity "from catalogue", it can work for you.
filip00 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:10 pm
Regarding the WW bug - I think it's always like that. You start out with "I'll just change this little detail..." and then you change another one, and then another one :D
When bug hit me, it hit me big time. It wasn't one by one part. In almost no time I got whole plan in my head and over just few months I changed almost everything.

Btw, very soon I also figured out that this weight weenie stuff can be very addictive. You can ALWAYS go little bit further with weight reduction. In theory, it has no end.

StanK

by StanK

Unfortunately, I had to change skewers (Tune didn't hold up well after some time) and chain for some reasons.
Skewers "costed me" 23g and chain 32g, so … not good :( With that change, total weight gone up to 6326g. I didn't weigh in that moment because I was upset with it :cry: :)

Now, good news. Kinda …
New cables and housing came - Jagwire Pro sets for brakes and shifting.

For long time I didn't know exact weight of "wiring" that's been on my bike. It was 170g, and with Jagwire Pro sets installed is 145g (gram or two, give or take in booth cases). I was expecting 30-40g. drop, so this was little dissapointing. But, at the same time, that means than frame/fork is significantly lighter than I thought. Especially since I didn't count fork expander at all, but we'll get to that soon.

I wasn't satisfied with that Jagwire Pro brake housing (too stiff) from day one, so I replaced housing and cables with Niro Glide TBP 359 set. 19g lighter than Jagwire. Not bad.

In the meantime I replaced (mentioned) fork expander (that came with bike) ...

with Carbon Ti X-Plug.

24g drop. Nice. Move on.

And the last step for the time being was tires.
I was very pleased with the Michelin Lithion 2, but wanted to try a lighter option, with slightly better rolling resistance. And, to be honest, those yellow sidewalls became, eh ... a little old-fashioned in my eyes :mrgreen:

So, Michelin for Michelin. PRO4 Service Course V2. And with white walls :D

Tires immediately feels faster. Is it because lower RR or simply because is it lighter, I don't know.
When I tried Michelin Endurance V2 last year difference was barely noticeable. This is something else. Service Course V2 version wasn't reviewed on that famous BRR site, so I don't know for sure. Maybe it is just for beign lighter. I don't care.
Honestly, it wasn't my primary goal (I'd probably buy a Conti 5000 in that case), but it feels good. And that's another 55g. down.
And that way I got to … 6202g.

And one pics from yesterday.

Oops, that was mistakenly taken when I fiddling with my cell phone, but it actually turned out pretty well.
This one is official :D

Next stop:
- tubes (Revoloop already in my hands, but want try Service Course with Michelin tubes first)
- seat post (probably will be Superlogic, 1-bolt or Link, but surprises are posible)
- chain (I would like to go back to PYC, because somehow it works for me better than Dura Ace)
- skewers (maybe another try with super light option, with Carbon Ti ... we will see)

Now it would be great to drop the weight below 6kg. It won't be easy, but not impossible, even without going exotic.

StanK

by StanK

So, the Ritchey Superlogic One Bolt has landed. And on the scale too.
It's 350mm version with 7x7 rails adapter.

161g was exactly my current Ghost seatpost (cutted to 220mm), so with cutting Superlogic to same length ...

the weight of the bike dropped to 6171g.

In terms of comfort, after few sub 100km rides, it seems all the same. Wich is exelent thing. I had zero complaint for the previous seatpost. And Superlogic looks great (better) on the bike, too.

And one from today's short ride. From "nowhere", just corn around me at that moment :mrgreen:

StanK

by StanK

Revoloop has replaced Michelin Air Comp UltraLight tubes.

Michelin tubes were 157g. not 160g. (Obviously I put wrong number in weight sheet - had too much tubes on disposal at that time :mrgreen: ). And with Revoloop is 81g. drop.

And I putted back "old" PYC chain. I figured it that quick link was a problem, put new Sram quick link ... Let's see how long would this quick link last till got stretched. I hope more than PYC original, just 500 km.
DA chain was 245g, so here ... 32g. drop.

Which brings me to a total of ...

Actually, by my calculation is 6047g., but scale has 5g. steps.

Just few more changes (hopefully in next few weeks) and I will riding sub 6kg bike. Almost I can't believe it.

BmanX

by BmanX

What a change from where you started to where you are now. Great work.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

JerryLook

by JerryLook

The bike is looking good man. :thumbup:

I’m in the same boat as you, I need to lose about 50g from the bike to be sub 6kg
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

StanK

by StanK

BmanX wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:11 pm
What a change from where you started to where you are now. Great work.
Thanks. I really enjoy it. Except the part when I spending couple hundred of euros/dollars to get some of the parts :)

StanK

by StanK

JerryLook wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:01 pm
The bike is looking good man. :thumbup:
Thanks.
I liked it as soon as I saw it few minutes before buying it, I like it even more now, though I'm not a huge fan of white in general (although, I once had white bike, some 25 years ago, but for brief time).
But black and lime green details really helped here to make it visually more lively.
JerryLook wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:01 pm
I’m in the same boat as you, I need to lose about 50g from the bike to be sub 6kg
Well, I'm already there actually :) I just waiting for the Carbon Ti skewers and few titanium bolts, shifting housing arrived today and new (lighter) handlebars tape arrived month ago, and then will be sub 6kg. Hopefully that would be in less than a month. But I'm in no hurry.

50g is almost nothing, so I think it's relatively easy to do that. You can alway find part(s) where you can drop that much.

StanK

by StanK

Light skewers, take two - Carbon Ti X-Lock Special Road

Second and last attempt with sub 50g. skewers. Tune 100/130 was great for the first 500km, then creaking started and it got worse and worse ...
Spada skewers (60g.), witch I'm using for last several months (some 2500-3000 km), are completely free of creaking, but in order to get bike sub 6kg, that is one of rare places where I can drop more than 20g and not spend more than $90 to do that.

And they look nicer than Spada and are waaay more ergonomic. If they end up like Tune, Spada going back - and that would be it regarding skewers.

So, now, 6026 g. 8)

StanK

by StanK

That's original bolt on Ritchey Superlogic One-Bolt Carbon.

And this is titanium bolt for that seatpost.

6 grams drop for $10. Not bad.

And while I was on that Swiss web site (didn't find that bolt any cheaper from Far East, so ... ) I looked around and find titanium Clamp unit bolts for DA 9001 shifters.

Advertised weight was accurate, 8 grams ...

... but the difference to DA 9001 original Clamp bolts is not 8 grams, as advertised, but only 5 grams.

I thought to return that, but ... what the heck, don't wanna just bother with that.
So, 5 grams difference for approx 20 euros ... not that good.

Total bike weight now - 6015 g. I'm almost there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com