Ryan's Forever Bike: A Litespeed T1sl #tongue-in-cheek

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

@Theologian T3 is stiffer than the T1sl.

Shaping on the chainstays are practically identical and measured the same. Downtube looked the same but I didn't measure. The seat stays on the T3 were several mm wider. The T3 is also a more compact frame so that ups the stiffness too. I don't know about the butting differences though but I think the chainstays are both triple butted.

Theologian

by Theologian

RyanH wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:54 pm
@Theologian T3 is stiffer than the T1sl.

Shaping on the chainstays are practically identical and measured the same. Downtube looked the same but I didn't measure. The seat stays on the T3 were several mm wider. The T3 is also a more compact frame so that ups the stiffness too. I don't know about the butting differences though but I think the chainstays are both triple butted.
I was under the impression from your review of the T1SL years before that it was just a tad too stiff and not as comfortable as the T3 because of the 6-4 top tube, is that accurate? Or would you say this time around, the T1SL is actually slightly more comfortable? Sorry, I'm just double-checking because it sounds counterintuitive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

I'd say that all around the T1sl is marginally more comfortable on back to back rides with the same tires/wheels. It could just be the larger frame though. Smaller triangle with the same tube sizes should be stiffer.

I made the mistake when I got the T1sl of not doing a back to back with the T3, which is odd since I did that as standard practice with the dozens of other frames I got. I just assumed it was going to be as good if not better. Six months into owning the T1sl I was pretty burnt out and started feeling like I did not enjoy riding this bike. I find that I'm most critical of equipment when I'm tired where little things bother me. This extends to my weekly ebb and flow of Tuesday/Wednesday being tired and riding on crappy roads becomes more annoying than normal.

At the time, I couldn't put my finger on why I disliked it but it just didn't have the snap and liveliness that my T3 did. I may have assumed that was because it was stiffer (most carbon bikes don't have this snap and liveliness) but riding them now back to back now, I see it's because it's not as stiff. It's a subtle difference but that characteristic is why the T3 stays in the mix. With that being said, the Crux has that characteristic and I'd assume the Aethos does too, which is making me consider picking up an Aethos.

dcj10

by dcj10

Liking this build Ryan. I ran a M/L Ghisallo back in the mid-noughties. It was a dream to ride, and I wish I still had it.
The Aethos Expert I'm riding mostly now, is the nearest I've got to recreating the same feel, or surpassing it actually.
Main ride Aethos Expert 2021 https://weightweenies.starbike.com/for ... 0&t=169445
First reserve Pegoretti steel 2012 Ciavete paint viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168091

jmh

by jmh

I'm looking at getting a T1SL frameset. Litespeed list 25mm as the max tire size.

What size tires do you have on the various iterations of this frame?

RyanH

by RyanH

Most you can fit is 28mm actual and there's barely any room with that.

RyanH

by RyanH

So, this just happened:

Price was too good to pass up and they're discontinuing this model and other rim brake models except 1. If it's going to become unobtainium soon, might as well secure one now.

caballero

by caballero

At those prices they are an absolute steal.
One guy who frequently races with us bought one here in Japan. I believe the frame / fork price was over 600,000-650,000¥JPY

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

You're as bad as me Ryan 😂😂
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

RyanH

by RyanH

Yeah, this is getting bad, beginning to run out of room:

Not sure what I'm going to do with this frame. I have a THM fork for it. Most likely it'll go on the wall for a bit until I have an itch to build a bike. The T3 is set up as a do everything bike with standard gearing up front and 11-32 in the rear. It's not very weight weenie these days, probably 6.5kg or so. The T1sl could be the weight weenie counterpart and come in a full kilo lighter.

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

Any plans to get the Spezia ?

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

gurk700

by gurk700

I think 2001 LS Classic would fit nicely in the middle there man.

RyanH

by RyanH

Damn, this one is 40g heavier than my first:

It looks like they updated chainstay placement at the BB though since it now has 4mm on each side of a 28mm actual tire meaning that it should easily clear 30mm actual and if you're feeling cheeky, possibly a 32mm (don't quote me on that).

eric01

by eric01

Is that pink Litespeed decal?
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

eric01 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:32 pm
Is that pink Litespeed decal?
Yeah, figured it'd compliment the baby blue decals on the T3. Worst case, I wipe them off with acetone later if I don't like them.
wolflikeme wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:27 pm
Any plans to get the Spezia ?
Not a huge fan of the integrated head tube on metal bikes. Also, I'm more or less allergic to disc bikes these days.