Cannondale Supersix 2008

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

themidge

by themidge

I may be back on Aksiums :(, but at least I'm back on this bike at all :D. The B'twin is a fine winter bike, but I'd rather ride 2008 carbon fibre and 1938 steel all the time.

It weighs 7.8kg now, but there are lots of plans to reduce that number considerably. The miss-matched bottle cages are because I caught one of the Elite ones on my trouser leg when riding around town and it snapped, they might be the first port of call for weight saving and aesthetics improvement. That'll be followed by wheels and tyres, then groupset.

themidge

by themidge

Wheel project has officially begun! :twisted:
Wolber profil 18 tubs on Bitex hubs with sapim lasers, should weigh 1230g which will get me comfortably below 7kg. No they aren't very practical, but that's not really the point. The Aksiums will stay as a rough surface/unknown terrain/rain wheelset.

I'll use the heavier one for the rear, not that it's likely to be any stiffer, just for peace of mind.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

Just waiting on the rear hub now, very excited about this since the most I've done before regarding wheel building is to true a wheel using an adjustable spanner stopping the bladed spoke from twisting.

Bitex RAF12, only 2g overweight:

56x sapim 12mm alloy nipples:

28x sapim laser 291mm:

sapim laser, 14x 295mm, 14x 289mm:

themidge

by themidge

Finally my rear hub has arrived! There was a mix-up between Bitex and the UK distributor but it was all sorted very easily :thumbup:.

It's 5 whole grams overweight, but it's not a huge deal. The total build should now be 1256g.
Yes, I can still find corsa cx tubs and yes, I will get a lighter cassette soon.
All the pieces of the puzzle finally together:

themidge

by themidge

Wheel are finished and have been on their first ride! :D
And yes it was a bit slow, I babied the wheels a bit and avoided cobbles, but thankfully nothing happened.

Final weight is 1256g, plus two Michelin Service Course tubulars at 251g and 256g makes for a pretty light set. Upgrades coming to drop ~230g further from the wheels alone are a lighter cassette (Red or DA {10s}) and some of those Planet X skewers that claim to weigh 44g for only 20 quid :thumbup:.

The tyres may look like they have tan sidewalls in these photos, but they're actually blue :scared:. It's not as bad as it sounds, and it's a fair price to pay for the bargain I got on the tyres!

Total bike weight is now somewhere around 7.1 or 7.2 kg, still a bit heavy tbh given how light the wheels are but I guess that's 105 5700 for you :roll:. Not to worry, after I get my iLinks back on and upgrade some of the lower hanging fruit I should be easily sub 7kg.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

Man the wheels turned out nice! And plus tubs ride nicer than other tires anyways IMO.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

kgt

by kgt

I had these rims many, many years ago. Fignon used to ride on those!
You have lovely bike mister!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@themidge: you are sophisticated way beyond your years . I’m just a little bit concerned over the radial lacing on that front hub. At least it looks like it’s radially laced but maybe I’m mistaken? Will look forward to hearing about how these wheels hold up over time. But good on you for experimenting.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

themidge

by themidge

Thanks guys :D It feels good to finally make some upgrades.

Re: the wheels. The front wheel is indeed radial (rear is 2x both sides, 28h F&R), which I chose simply because I have a similar radial 28h front wheel on my Vitus 979*. The wheels seem fine so far, although there's still a bit of fine-tuning to go on the roundness of the front and the straightness of the rear, and the ride is really nice. I was expecting noodles, but they're stiff enough for me and accelerate a whole lot better than the old Aksiums :thumbup:.

*Or at least I would if it was really a bike atm, it's all in bits right now.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nice. I ask about the radial lacing not because of overall wheel strength or stiffness etc., but more concerned about how much flange material is between the spoke hole of the hub and the the flange edge. For instance, on Campy Record 32 hole hubs, they specifically warn against radial lacing (although I’ve seen it done). I’ve also seen where radial lacing, due to the small amount of flange material between the spoke hole and the edge of the flange, has failed, with the result that the spoke breaks through that small section of flange. They actually recommend 3x lacing.
But having said that, I have a friend with a radial laced Silver Campy Record hub with silver spokes and it is just gorgeous when that thing is spinning in the sunlight.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

themidge

by themidge

It's a bitex RAF12 hub and on their website Bitex say that it's "suitable for radial lacing", so it shouldn't be a problem.

Here's an out of focus close-up of the new wheels:

And here's the OMAS Big Sliding front hub on the Vitus:

Pretty similar, and the latter has been holding up for probably 30 years (paired with some mystery aero-ish spokes and a Mavic G.L.330 rim).

I have to say I preferred the look when there were only half the spokes, looks lighter 8) .

I agree that silver spokes and nipples are superior, even on an otherwise black wheel.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Very impressive
It’s a really good skill set to have

How long did it take to build the wheels and did you save much money doing it yourself?

Regarding your choice of tyres the Michelin are my favourite both tubs and clinchers
I know this doesn’t mean anything other than in my experience they roll well and are reasonably puncture resistant

I enjoy reading your posts 👍
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

themidge

by themidge

It's certainly a skilled activity, building wheels well, as I have discovered at this first try. On and off, it took me an afternoon to lace the wheels and then the next day to tension and true them. Then it took me a few weeks to get around to acquiring tyres and riding the wheels. I've glued tubs before, so that was a much more relaxing activity.

Building the wheels myself probably saved me a fair amount. I think the labour from my LBS for building two wheels would have been about £40. You can't really buy stock wheels like this, but I reckon it would have cost about the same as I spent to hunt for some carbon tubulars on eBay. I did once miss an awesome deal on some superlight wheels, still salty :evil: .
Image*
Minus the tyres and the Planet X skewers I don't actually have yet, the wheels cost me £243.19, not bad for a pretty light wheelset in my book.

I'm liking these Michelin tyres so far, they're pretty smooth and supple and were used by pro teams at some point I think. I've got some Michelins on the Aksiums as well which ride well, although they do contribute somewhat to that wheelset's great bulk!
Image*

*Expected weight in the third column, actual weight in the fourth

themidge

by themidge

New cassette arrived, pretty good weight saving and it should shift better.

Outgoing Shiamno Tiagra 4600 12-28:

Incoming Sram Red PG1090 11-26:

That's a saving of a whopping 140g just from the cassette :D

Next port of call is shifters, I've already got a rear derailleur on the go, have done a bit of sanding to remove logos and will order some alloy bolts to save a few grams.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

efeballi

by efeballi

Very sensible build, I've been nodding at every decision you've made while assembling the bike.
There's circa 300-400g to save if you happen to make the jump to 11s SRAM.
I wanted to ask the material of the rims, is it really titanium-magnesium or are those just alloying elements/marketing stuff written on the rim?
Cheers,
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica