Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

welchy

by welchy

jwest wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:50 am
welchy wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:19 pm
Next question... has anybody got knowledge of cable routing on these.

I will be running a standard stem, I think mine is an earlier model if I'm correct so now internal routing. Potentially the rear brake cable is internal though?!

Any info on how people have routed these and if people are crossing F&R derailleur cables internally in the frame as Calnago mentioned earlier in the thread.
So, yes, the rear brake cable uses the top tube in-out. For the derailuers, you can choose the entrance but you cannot change the exits. So, you wouldn't run it for the purpose of crossing them inside the downtube but you would choose how you want the cables to be out front at the head tube area. What I mean is that it can work fine either way and this means they can enter on the same or opposite from the side they connect. I do prefer the "cross" style where the right shifter exits the bar and maintains that arc over to the left and around left side of head tube and naturally arcs into the left side port in the downtube. Opposite for left shifter.

Now inside they must "cross" in order to exit correctly from the bottom bracket shell. The FD of course exits to the exterior of the bike to come up to the FD and the right shifter cable which is pulling from the left upper downtube entrance port, has to "exit" the BB into the chainstay and then finally out of that at the rear.

Each of those will need a frame interface/stopper for the cable housing to rest against. The RD exit actually uses 2 pieces, a stubby wide barrel into which the housing ferrel with tubing lead will also sit and then the housing sits into that.

You need to watch a lot of youtube or get an experienced builder to show you or do it for you though. Little things need to happen like liner tubing, which is not cable "housing", needs to run from the chainstay and into the downtube so the cable isn't just grinding on the carbon frame interior. Similarly for the FD cable which needs the plastic tubing from outside, into, under the bb, and up a little into the downtube area. To keep water from building up inside that tubing, a small slit or hole can be made near it's natural drain bottom curve under the bb.
Thanks for the informative supply Jwest. I've routed the F&R outers the long way around the head tube flowing into the downtube with minimum bend. I followed Calnago's thoughts here and although it's a longer cable length, looks like it'll work better.

I'm now waiting on Hydraulic hoses, the front is pretty obvious as for routing! But the rear a bit different as I think I must be the exception of C64 owners in having an extremely early non C/D steerer model. That means I have a cut out in the downtube for the rear hose, as I'm coming from left shifter / brake (being backwards in the UK!) the hydro hose will be going directly down this same side.

Does anybody know what frame grommet to fit here, it has a white rubber one but doesn't seem a really good fit and the two cable stop plastic clips as per attached seem to be for brake cables only and not for this frame.

Any thoughts here on what other C64 owners have had going into this lug on the early disc models would be appreciated! This is the frame in question and an image of the cable stops that are with it but will not fit.
Attachments
B8209091-D09A-4B98-8B5B-BF2EC3C9AE97.png
B768E077-E40B-4D10-BD24-F5D07204613C.jpeg

colnagoferrari

by colnagoferrari

Hi fellow C64 owners,

I have a question! I currently use Colnago Carbon bottle cages but I was wondering if there are lighter options available that would fit as well (I know that fitting on C64 frames can be a thing) please let me know!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

I had to use 2 round spacers under my BTP bottle cages.

ms6073

by ms6073

Not sure if they fall in the lightweight category, but I use Blackburn's carbon cages which fit the C64 without need of any spacers.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

ms6073 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:21 pm
Not sure if they fall in the lightweight category, but I use Blackburn's carbon cages which fit the C64 without need of any spacers.
Which Blackburn carbon cage do you have? Cinch, Camber, or Clutch?

ms6073

by ms6073

sevencyclist wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:30 pm
Which Blackburn carbon cage do you have? Cinch, Camber, or Clutch?
Sorry, Blackburn Camber. I was using Enve's carbon cages with a couple rollers from an old chain as spacers, but found that the cages loosened up relatively quickly with our newer design CamelBak ICE water bottles, which would rattle around on less than ideal roads due to the slightly smaller outer diameter. I had also considered the Arundel Mandible cages, but really wanted to install cages that were not going to require spacers.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Gareth79

by Gareth79

Just wondering if I can have some opinions on sizing for the C64. I have had a bike fit, but it was a "traditional" fit using my current bike (a 2016 Concept 56s) and adjusting that until my riding position was correct. The fitter used an iPad with analysis software and a saddle pressure pad (which showed I was wayyy too forward on the saddle).

My saddle was pushed well forward to get my knee in the correct position and the pressure correct, until it was just past the "stop" on the rails. I also had my saddle a little too high, and I found out my legs are pretty short for my height. This means the saddle on the 56s is pretty low, near the bottom of the measuring gauge printed on the seatpost.

When I got frame selection advice the fitter basically used my current frame size as a comparison, rather than taking into account the changes made, which was a little annoying, but there was a month or two between it all. They recommended a 56h (possibly because I said I don't intend to ever race), when I reminded them of the saddle issue they said 54h, however the high geometry seems to not be made right now, so the sloping it will have to be, although the difference is not huge.

My question is pretty much whether the 52s might be "better" for me than the 54, and how it might affect the ride/fit etc? It looks like I'm inbetween sizes, but the 54 might be better for non-competitive riding. I am lightweight and flexible though, so I don't think going down a size would be a huge issue.

edit: One other thing is that my 'perfect' colour scheme is in stock in 52s at an Italian shop. They do have a 54s at a good price in another decent scheme, but my second choice.

Thanks!

Height: 183cm
Inseam: 84cm (0.46 ratio)
Saddle height: 74cm
Saddle nose to bar centre: 54cm (ish!)
Weight: ~60kg

kytyree

by kytyree

I'm on a 52s C64 and my saddle to bar is also roughly 54cm, you're a bit taller, with legs just slightly longer. Saddle to bar drop?

Your saddle height and reach should be good on a 52s, I'd need to know how much drop you run to say anything more specific. I'm running a Deda 8 degree stem with no spacers but the taller Colnago top cap on mine. It's no uncommon, in fact likely, you have a couple of C64 frame sizes that could work. I definetly could run a 50s frame, and have bikes roughly that size, I did get the C64 in 52s though because I thought it fit the way I use it just a bit better. But I wouldn't hestitate to buy a V3rs or a C64 in 50s if it otherwise was what I wanted. You might get a bit less or no toe overlap with a larger frame too, but how much that matters or doesn't has a lot to do with a variety of things...

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Gareth79 you are essentially my height and leg length and I am riding a V2R in a 54s with a 120 stem and it fits me very well but my STA is 73.1 whereas the 64 is slacker @ 72.something. My nose to bar is 575mm and it suits me just fine but you can always go with a shorter stem. I know I wouldnt go any smaller in framesize for myself but you will have to figure that one out on your own.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Gareth79

by Gareth79

kytyree wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:11 pm
I'm on a 52s C64 and my saddle to bar is also roughly 54cm, you're a bit taller, with legs just slightly longer. Saddle to bar drop?

Your saddle height and reach should be good on a 52s, I'd need to know how much drop you run to say anything more specific. I'm running a Deda 8 degree stem with no spacers but the taller Colnago top cap on mine. It's no uncommon, in fact likely, you have a couple of C64 frame sizes that could work. I definetly could run a 50s frame, and have bikes roughly that size, I did get the C64 in 52s though because I thought it fit the way I use it just a bit better. But I wouldn't hestitate to buy a V3rs or a C64 in 50s if it otherwise was what I wanted. You might get a bit less or no toe overlap with a larger frame too, but how much that matters or doesn't has a lot to do with a variety of things...
Thanks, the saddle to bar drop was 8.8cm after the fit, it would have been 1-2cm higher before, and I didn't really have any issues, riding at least an hour 5 days a week in the summer with a longer ride at the weekend.

I should have mentioned, I also ride a Carbonda 696 bike I built now and then, it's their 560 size which is quite similar to the 54s, although I have a short stem fitted, 80mm I think.

What got me thinking was that the seat angle of the C64 54s is the same as the Concept's 56s and the ETT is only 15mm longer, so I was thinking that the saddle may end up in the same position? The steeper seat tube angle of the 52s might help perhaps.

As I mentioned, the 52s is in the exact colour I want, and is €2,704 vs. €3,024 for my 2nd choice colour, which works out to be £342 less after all import taxes...
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-02-04 234352.jpg
Last edited by Gareth79 on Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gareth79

by Gareth79

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:35 pm
Gareth79 you are essentially my height and leg length and I am riding a V2R in a 54s with a 120 stem and it fits me very well but my STA is 73.1 whereas the 64 is slacker @ 72.something. My nose to bar is 575mm and it suits me just fine but you can always go with a shorter stem. I know I wouldnt go any smaller in framesize for myself but you will have to figure that one out on your own.
Thanks, the 52s has a 73.6 seat angle vs. 72.8 on the 54s, so quite a bit steeper. Messing around on the calculators that reduces the ETT by 8mm like-for-like...

Gareth79

by Gareth79

Well, I ordered the 52s and a 120mm stem, and will see how that works out...

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Does anyone have some info on the weight of the thru axles used on the C64 or V3rs ? Im trying to see if it is worth getting some nice Carbon-ti for my upcoming built or not.

Gareth79

by Gareth79

wickedstealthy wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:01 pm
Does anyone have some info on the weight of the thru axles used on the C64 or V3rs ? Im trying to see if it is worth getting some nice Carbon-ti for my upcoming built or not.
Just unboxed my C64 frame. Rear is 32.8g, front is 27.2g. They are unbranded, so likely nothing special.

Gareth79

by Gareth79

Further to my decision, just received it from Cavaliere Bici!
Attachments
photo_2022-02-15_20-43-52.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com