Colnago C64 - Inside and Out

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

edorwart wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:22 am
Anyone here use a 0 offset seat post for your C64? I just bought one, special order...and it seems the 0 offset has a different clamp mechanism that will not allow you to use oval carbon rails like you can on the standard 15mm offset seatpost that came with the bike. Hugely disapointing as I spent $200+ on a seat post that I cannot use with my $300 carbon saddle that I love. You cant change out the parts from the 15mm to the 0mm as they are totally differen. I dont know what to do. I have emailed Colnago but recevied no response as of yet.
I'm facing the same issue. I need the 0mm seatpost and the wait time on Darimo is 6weeks ... Didnt expect that the clamps could be used for oval rails. So stuck :twisted:
As it is paid anyway and not useable I will take this as a small experiment and try to 'fix' it.

I did some searching and the clamping system seems to be looking so similar to systems used in some Rose, Ribble and Ritchey Logic bikeposts. So I ordered the Ritchey logic oval clamps as the picture looked SO similar. It will arrive tomorrow or Saturday and then I will know for sure.
At the same time I ordered a replacement Ti bolt as the one used in the clamps is quite heavy.
I will have the seatpost cut by about 5cm as I dont need the length. It seems that then the seapost will weigh around 155gr for 300mm length

Update : The clamps from Ritchey Logic WORK !!!

https://www.bike24.com/p214270.html
Attachments
IMG_1268.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

fogman wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:02 am
Gareth79 wrote:Further to my decision, just received it from Cavaliere Bici!
Is this a MySixty4 colorway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, it's the team livery for the Petroli Firenze Hopplà-Don Camillo team who are sponsored by Cavaliere Bici.

Clean39T

by Clean39T

For Calnago..

New build in the works. 56S PKRD. Will eventually get either EPS-11 or Record-12, running a P2M Campagnolo PM, with Fulcrum Racing Zero Competizione wheels for training and some nice 55mm tubulars for race day.

Gareth79

by Gareth79

Mockenrue wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:48 pm
fogman wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:02 am
Gareth79 wrote:Further to my decision, just received it from Cavaliere Bici!
Is this a MySixty4 colorway?

No, it's the team livery for the Petroli Firenze Hopplà-Don Camillo team who are sponsored by Cavaliere Bici.
Thanks, beat me to it! I'll add that the colour scheme is almost what I would have chosen had I gone for the ££€€$$ custom colours, so it was very fortunate they were available, and at about half retail price of a standard colour scheme! I've been a bit slack finishing the build, but the daylight savings time and warmer weather forced me into sort it at the weekend!

I was expecting to have to adjust things on the shakedown ride, but in fact I was able to ride it for almost an hour with almost zero issues! Just needs the front rotor truing (although the wheels came from another bike), the saddle levelling (I've lost my mini spirit level) and then the headset spacers reducing down in a few weeks when I'm sure of things, and then I think the saddle needs moving back a bit, but I need to check the bike fit measurements and how the old Concept was set up.
edYWhqNu.jpg

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Wow she's a proper beauty

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

LewisK

by LewisK

Hi

On the Frozen colour scheme, are the decals clear coated over so it feels completely smooth?

Or can you feel them like you can on some of the other colour schemes?

Thanks!

ms6073

by ms6073

Cannot say for certain, but I have a 2021 C64 with the frozen red (RCRD) colorway and just ran my fingers over the logos on the top tube and downtube and while I can feel the transition from tube to decal, the edges are smooth. Hopefully the image below taken from my Samsung Smartphone at 3x zoom will help answer your question.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Hi everyone. I´ve got a question about the sizing of the C64. My physique is long in the legs (91.7cm inseam at 185cm length).

My ideal stack and reach is 610/395 with a 100 to 110mm stem (currently my frame has 396 reach with a 100mm/-7 degree stem and 42cm/70mm reach bars, could probably make a 110mm stem work too). If I look at the geometry table of a C64 you´ll end up with either a 56s, 56h or you can even make a 54h fit.

Since I don't really like the sloping looks on a frame this beautiful, I kind of don't want to consider the h-geometry. I also assume that if you add a headset topcap, you'll go over the 610mm so I'll end up with a 110mm/-10-12 degree stem.

Is 56s the best option and does anyone know how much spacers I would need (i.e. what is the height of the required headset top cap if you want to use Colnago's ICR stem)? From my own calculations it should work with about 5-7mm spacers if you include the mandatory topcap (+5mm) and required spacer from the ICR stem (+7mm).

Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

jwest

by jwest

Ypuh wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:10 am
Hi everyone. I´ve got a question about the sizing of the C64. My physique is long in the legs (91.7cm inseam at 185cm length).

My ideal stack and reach is 610/395 with a 100 to 110mm stem (currently my frame has 396 reach with a 100mm/-7 degree stem and 42cm/70mm reach bars, could probably make a 110mm stem work too). If I look at the geometry table of a C64 you´ll end up with either a 56s, 56h or you can even make a 54h fit.

Since I don't really like the sloping looks on a frame this beautiful, I kind of don't want to consider the h-geometry. I also assume that if you add a headset topcap, you'll go over the 610mm so I'll end up with a 110mm/-10-12 degree stem.

Is 56s the best option and does anyone know how much spacers I would need (i.e. what is the height of the required headset top cap if you want to use Colnago's ICR stem)? From my own calculations it should work with about 5-7mm spacers if you include the mandatory topcap (+5mm) and
I also have long legs 88cm (cycling measured inseam where you stand against wall with "snug" bar under your crotch like saddle pressure) relative to my height 180.3 cm. Your arms also matter for ideal fit, as does of course your overall body posture and flexibility....

I am perfectly fit onto a 54s with 110-120 bars depending on reach of bars. I have almost no spacer under the stem and my stem is not the one for disc bikes requiring that extra space for routing cables. The drop of the bars is also an important factor. So, for the C64 rim brake bike I have short reach and short drop bars by 3T. The stem is your basic minimal negative which lines up about exactly with the top tube angle.

For comparison, I also race a Pinarello F10 in size 56 which is reach of 391 vs C64 385 and a shorter stack 569 vs 583 for C64. So, my F10 has a 1cm spacer and a 110 stem but my bars are a much longer reach 3T Aeronova. This is my race bike set-up though, not my ride 6 hours into the mtns bike which is more the C64 purpose. My mtns are in the Cascades WA state US.

Here is a convenient geo comparision tool for older bikes you might know more about your fit on vs the C64 sizing:
https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/pina ... -2021-54s/

Unless you are seated very upright, I don't see how a 54 of any version would fit you very well. Yet, we do all have different bodies and my arms need room to stretch out forward and down. With my fitter we got my 5 hand/arm positions just right on my F10 by bringing my stem in closer but also lower and with the ENVE aero carbon stem that allows a for-aft adjustment of 2.5mm.

The 5 postions in order of aggressiveness/comfort:
1-comfort straight arms - hands on tops cross section
2-comfort straight-ish arms - hands on hoods
3-same arms but more hip flex puts hands in drops, can still ride here for hours, most of a criterium is here for example.
4-hands on hoods BUT arms bent maybe 60 degree such that forearms are resting "on" the bar sweep. The 3T Aeronova is perfect for this.
5-hands in drops again, finger tip on or near brake levers, but now arms bent for maximum aero, probably not here often, key moments, descents, etc.

jwest

by jwest

Ypuh wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:10 am

Is 56s the best option and does anyone know how much spacers I would need (i.e. what is the height of the required headset top cap if you want to use Colnago's ICR stem)? From my own calculations it should work with about 5-7mm spacers if you include the mandatory topcap (+5mm) and required spacer from the ICR stem (+7mm).

Also, you don't have to use that Colnago branded stem for the C64 disc, I am building a new c64 disc and researched to find that the Deda "Superbox" will also work and is, in my opinion, a better design and better looking. https://dedaelementi.com/superbox-bike-stem

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Thanks!

My current bike is a Cervelo S3. Ideally I want the exact same position which I would rate comfortable (6h+ rides are fine). 5mm lower or 5mm longer would acceptable, but that's the range I'd like to stay in.

Note: I do ride with a zero setback, 100mm stem and 70mm reach bars. I'm not the most flexible, a bull in Fizik's terms, combined with very long legs. Both are simply god's gift making long reach an issue, but in this setup (see S3 photo's in signature) I have no issues riding in the drops for hours on end.

If I only look at geometry there shouldn't be much of an issue if I take the 56s of the C64? The reach (398 vs. 396) is practically the same if I stick to a 100mm stem and compact bars (Zipp SL70 Aero). In stack height I'm more flexible. Assuming the mandatory top cap and ICR stem adds about 10-12mm, there should only be <10 mm in spacers required?
Geometry.jpg
The 56h would likely end up too tall if 610 is the frame stack and the mandatory top cap and ICR are excluded from the geometry as stated by Colnago. This is what's confusing me. I don't want 2 cm of spacers on a bike in this price range.

Also, the default being 15mm, is there an option for 0 setback seatposts and/or are they proprietary? I did find some indication there is.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

jwest

by jwest

Ypuh wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:34 pm
Thanks!

My current bike is a Cervelo S3. Ideally I want the exact same position which I would rate comfortable (6h+ rides are fine). 5mm lower or 5mm longer would acceptable, but that's the range I'd like to stay in.

Note: I do ride with a zero setback, 100mm stem and 70mm reach bars. I'm not the most flexible, a bull in Fizik's terms, combined with very long legs. Both are simply god's gift making long reach an issue, but in this setup (see S3 photo's in signature) I have no issues riding in the drops for hours on end.

Also, the default being 15mm, is there an option for 0 setback seatposts and/or are they proprietary? I did find some indication there is.
Saddle position is supposed to be based solely on the position of your hips to your pedals, NOT trying to help with making a frames reach fit. If you really are the "bull" flexibility, then maybe a 54s or 54h is actually better for you if you're going to start considering zero setback seatposts.

Lastly, you mention "spacers on a bike of this $ level..." Well, I think you should spend a few $ on a true high quality bike/body fitting from someone who not only fits bikes to people but has a real knowledge of body ergonomics for all types, not just racers. The one I went to is a well known fitter and physical therapist here and it made a big difference in understanding my long legs, arms and flexible hip angle with short torso. Of course a proper fitting also finds issues with cleat position, insoles, foot shape, wrist angles, etc.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Thanks again. I am aware of my position and did receive the help you're referring to. This is simply the physique and position that I ended up with and has been working fine for the past 80.000km or so.

Going into more detail:
I'm aware the rear/lower body position is seperate from the front and my position does not use setback to compensate for any reach. My position can be best described similar to a timetrialist where the hip is located more angled towards the front and above the heart of the BB. This yields the best results in power transfer (~350w ftp).

This makes downsizing in frames not really an option due to the saddleheight being 81.5cm. Smaller sized/sloping frames seattubes are commonly only 50.5cm or so, leaving 30cm+ seat post exposed which isn't going to work. Going a framesize larger doesn't work either due to the added reach. My upper body and arm length doesn't compensate for my longer legs, so having a 60cm sized frame usually has a reach of 405+, meaning I would end up with a 9cm stem which I don't want to either. Upsizing usually also means a slacker seattube, i.e. proving more setback via the frame.

Unless we're discussing frames like the Cervelo S3/R3, Canyon Endurace, Giant Defy, 3T RaceMax, I'm going to end up with 1-2cm in spacers. BMC RoadMachine, Cannondale Synapse etc. would also work but due to their mandatory topcaps/stems become higher at the front than I would like.

So to summarize, the goal is to find if/how I can fit my position on the desired frame with a preference of minimizing the number of spacers required (or choose a different frame obviously). The C64 seems to have 3 options that could potentially fit however not one of them is 'perfect'. The devil is in the details such as where stack and reach measurements are taken (top of frame, center of stem, including topcap, the top bearing center) and I believe my position is slightly more racier than what the h-geometry intended.

Possibly I could make the 56s (non-slooping) fit if the stack measurement is taken at the top headset bearing or edge of the frame, and does not include the mandatory headset topcap (+/- 5mm) and ICR part of the Colnago stem (estimated to be 5-7mm). That would put the total stack at 591+5+7=603mm, meaning I could make do with another 5-7mm in spacers.

If the topcap is included in the geometry table and/or stack measurements are taken at the heart of the stem, the 56h would seem the far better choice (610mm stack, i.e no spacers but a sloping top-tube).

P.s. Just thinking out loud here. There's some questions hidden in there :mrgreen:.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

Fideliojbc

by Fideliojbc

Ypuh wrote:Thanks again. I am aware of my position and did receive the help you're referring to. This is simply the physique and position that I ended up with and has been working fine for the past 80.000km or so.

Going into more detail:
I'm aware the rear/lower body position is seperate from the front and my position does not use setback to compensate for any reach. My position can be best described similar to a timetrialist where the hip is located more angled towards the front and above the heart of the BB. This yields the best results in power transfer (~350w ftp).

This makes downsizing in frames not really an option due to the saddleheight being 81.5cm. Smaller sized/sloping frames seattubes are commonly only 50.5cm or so, leaving 30cm+ seat post exposed which isn't going to work. Going a framesize larger doesn't work either due to the added reach. My upper body and arm length doesn't compensate for my longer legs, so having a 60cm sized frame usually has a reach of 405+, meaning I would end up with a 9cm stem which I don't want to either. Upsizing usually also means a slacker seattube, i.e. proving more setback via the frame.

Unless we're discussing frames like the Cervelo S3/R3, Canyon Endurace, Giant Defy, 3T RaceMax, I'm going to end up with 1-2cm in spacers. BMC RoadMachine, Cannondale Synapse etc. would also work but due to their mandatory topcaps/stems become higher at the front than I would like.

So to summarize, the goal is to find if/how I can fit my position on the desired frame with a preference of minimizing the number of spacers required (or choose a different frame obviously). The C64 seems to have 3 options that could potentially fit however not one of them is 'perfect'. The devil is in the details such as where stack and reach measurements are taken (top of frame, center of stem, including topcap, the top bearing center) and I believe my position is slightly more racier than what the h-geometry intended.

Possibly I could make the 56s (non-slooping) fit if the stack measurement is taken at the top headset bearing or edge of the frame, and does not include the mandatory headset topcap (+/- 5mm) and ICR part of the Colnago stem (estimated to be 5-7mm). That would put the total stack at 591+5+7=603mm, meaning I could make do with another 5-7mm in spacers.

If the topcap is included in the geometry table and/or stack measurements are taken at the heart of the stem, the 56h would seem the far better choice (610mm stack, i.e no spacers but a sloping top-tube).

P.s. Just thinking out loud here. There's some questions hidden in there :mrgreen:.
Where are you finding a C64 frame set?
I tried to find a C64 size 54s and there is nothing out there.
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jwest

by jwest

Fideliojbc wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:37 am
Where are you finding a C64 frame set?
I tried to find a C64 size 54s and there is nothing out there.
Thanks

What country are you in? I just found C64 DISC frames in 52s, 54s, 56s at a US dealer.