Colnago Tecnos

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

@ kgt: I don't really think it's a much more difficult task. Believe it or not but I sure thought well about the components I've choosen and I couldn't be happier with the result so far. I totally apreciate your opinion what a retro-modern look should be all about. I think it's more about personal preferences here - in my case it's more balanced towards the modern components, maybe you would have done it with setting the balance more towards the classic side and I'm totally fine with that. What looks "great" for some and "only good" for others might again for some be the other way around. You see it's really a debate on principles and in the end, as we all know, just a matter of taste.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

Some of us love the retro-modern look whatever that may be in our own eyes.

Here are a few more examples for you LorneMalvo ......

Image[/quote]

Image[/quote]

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Cheers!

by Cheers!

amazing bike! What is the total weight?

For all the people saying you need a quill stem, I disagree. I guess if you found a polished silver deda stem it would blend better with your headset?

kgt

by kgt

LorneMalvo wrote: What looks "great" for some and "only good" for others might again for some be the other way around. You see it's really a debate on principles and in the end, as we all know, just a matter of taste.

It's not just a 'matter of taste', these are things you study and learn. There are people who study for decades before having an idea of what design, style and aesthetics are. Otherwise there would be no design schools at all.

Of course it's your bike and you can ride whatever you like. :thumbup:

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Never showed the finished bike, so here it is enjoying the first couple of spring rides [emoji41]
Changed the saddle to Brooks C13. Right now I'm thinking about a quill stem, not because I do not like the current aesthetic with the ahead stem, I just don't like the ahead adaptor. All would be good with an non threaded Precisa fork but since it's not that easy to source one with the right amount of steerer, a quill stem just seems to be the way to go.

Anyways here are some pics in its current state.

ImageImageImageImage

flying

by flying

That came out great! Congrats :thumbup:

de zwarten

by de zwarten

I very much prefer your stem and would not go the quill-route. Quill stems are noodles, heavy (even heavier than adapter + ahead stem) and they take away all the joy of a fine steel frame and a snappy ride with sharp steering behavior.

I have had this experience with many quill stems (cinelli, 3ttt) on my Colnago master and Pinarello Asolo. I have both the precisa fork (threaded) and a carbon star fork for the Master. Any fork is cool but no quill for me.

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

@ de zwarten: Think your right with what you said about the advantages of ahead stems. Would be nicer to have a non threaded fork then and just dump the adapter but right now I'm just gonna leave it like that.

flying

by flying

I think it is quite nice as is... I once had the same Technos in Yellow/White
( I would love to see yours with White Bar Tape too ) :wink:

Later went to the MXL shown here ( back in 2002 )

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

Thanks [emoji846] Also thought about white tape and saddle, maybe will go for that in the summer months.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Looks like you will have done some climbing and the frame size is on the larger size - how stiff is the frame?
I've always heard the Tecnos is strictly for light guys due to the light tubing - how have you found it?
The bike looks really good - well done
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

DarthNga

by DarthNga

Evening. I have this very same bike. I received it as a gift from a landlord a decade ago. A tenant had moved out left this bike behind. At the point in time, I was started to ride. I had an old Sears mountain street bike that I ride around the Bay Area. The landlord of the building said that if I like I can have the bike to ride around. Ten years later I have put about 9K on it. In that time, I have only changed crankshaft and seat post last year and replaced the break pads from time to time. I was wondering if you could give information about this bike.
Attachments
Colnago and Me.jpg

SampsC50

by SampsC50

Congratulations to a very beautiful bike a la modern Master. I think you nailed the look completely!
Trek Madone 9 Project One
Colnago C50 PR11

Ex: Eddie Merckx EMX-7, Colnago Master, Rose Pro SL Carbon

bencolem

by bencolem

dadoflam08 wrote:Looks like you will have done some climbing and the frame size is on the larger size - how stiff is the frame?
I've always heard the Tecnos is strictly for light guys due to the light tubing - how have you found it?

This.

My wife’s uncle has a Tecnos and I’m sure I remember him telling me the rider weight limit was 180lbs. I did a 50 mile ride on it once (I’m 190lbs) and it felt like a steamroller on the flats (very planted ‘heavy’ feel like it was ironing out the bumps) but it flexed badly out of the saddle on the climbs.

Looks great btw.

LorneMalvo

by LorneMalvo

bencolem wrote:
dadoflam08 wrote:Looks like you will have done some climbing and the frame size is on the larger size - how stiff is the frame?

This.

My wife’s uncle has a Tecnos and I’m sure I remember him telling me the rider weight limit was 180lbs. I did a 50 mile ride on it once (I’m 190lbs) and it felt like a steamroller on the flats (very planted ‘heavy’ feel like it was ironing out the bumps) but it flexed badly out of the saddle on the climbs.

Looks great btw.

First of all I think I have to check my own threads more often, so apologys to those who asked something and never got a response! I'm really terrible at keeping my threads updated...

Concerning the stiffnes of the frame and the claimed weight limit of 180lbs, from my own experience I can only say that it never was an issue to me so far. I'm always swinging back and forth between 176lbs when I am in shape and 187lbs when on the heavy side and since I'm living in the Alps I find myself climbing nearly 90% of the time I cannot say that I ever was concerned about the frame couldn't handle my weight.
On the other hand the Tecnos is my bike for more relaxed riding and it almost never gets pushed to the limits. However once I've managed to snatch a KOM on Strava with this bike and back then I rather was on the heavy side weightwise. This was on a flat section though and I don't think I would try something similar during a climb [emoji28]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com