Firefly FF028 Ti Road

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jbaillie

by jbaillie

My Wolf Tooth Components spacer arrived today (along with new brake hoods). I had thought it might be a little thinner than the Bontrager one, but as you can see it's the same width at the top and bottom. I do think it looks a little better, but I'm still waiting on one more option: An Aerozine CNC spacer which should arrive next week. That one looks thinner on their site, but its tough to tell and most of these don't list the outer diameter.
From top left clockwise: Random parts bin 10mm spacer next to 10mm Bontrager spacer, Bontrager spacer next to Wolf Tooth spacer, and two images of the Wolf Tooth spacer on the Uno stem.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Cockpit update part 2 of 2:
The less interesting part; I continued my search for a thinner spacer to run atop my stem, and came across this offering from Aerozine. It's definitely the thinnest I've got (here's an image of the old spacer, Bontrager, WolfTooth, and Aerozine) but still a tiny bit wider than the Uno.
The graphics also didn't come off with acetone which I was mildly annoyed about, but a Sharpie got me most of the way there.

Anyway - the more exciting part of the new cockpit came in the mail from Kevin at Firefly just a couple days ago:
I'm a big fan of this aesthetic. I'll probably sell the Thomson parts (or put them on my single speed) in the coming weeks, this is a keeper for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Titanium post looks really great. Tempted to buy one for my build now, though not from firefly... Finished product looks really good.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

MiloAS wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:44 pm
Titanium post looks really great. Tempted to buy one for my build now, though not from firefly... Finished product looks really good.
I think I actually like the classic Enve clamp on the Lynskey seatposts more, although that may just be because I'm not used to this one yet. Moots obviously is the other popular one. J&L's is probably excellent for the price.

What I really liked about Firefly (besides that I know them and they're like 4 miles away) was the ability to pick the exact setback; they do increments of 5mm but will go even more specific than that if you reach out to them. I wanted something between the -16mm Thomson and the -25mm 3T/Hylix ones I'd used.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

IMHO, the wheels are fine. They look alright. Not the lightest wheelset, no, but they'll make your legs stronger. If you have a budget, I think you should stick to it. Don't be talked into stuff based on what anonymous forum members say. 2c

EDIT: whoops, too late. :lol: :oops: still, I think they looked ok
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

This bike turns 10 years old (!!!!) today. A lot of parts swapped out over the years, but still on the original fork, headset, calipers and F&R mech. The only new pieces this summer have been a new set of chainrings (the previous ones were quite valiant but couldn't go anymore) and some Knight 35 hoops.
To 10 more.

FatLadAtTheBack

by FatLadAtTheBack

Happy birthday!

A timeless bike which still looks good today.

eric01

by eric01

That’s what makes titanium so great. I don’t think a well executed ti frame will ever go out of style. Just refresh it with new components and off you go
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Prawn

by Prawn

eric01 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:11 am
That’s what makes titanium so great. I don’t think a well executed ti frame will ever go out of style. Just refresh it with new components and off you go
Indeed! So many bicycles drop in value as soon as the next model comes out - but some materials and brands transcend this paradigm. Congratulations on a decade with one bike!

jbaillie

by jbaillie

No real updates (beyond a couple of blacked-out bits), just posting new photos because why not.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

This bike will never look dated. Just beautiful.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Intemporal :)

iamraymond

by iamraymond

romanmoser wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:25 am
Intemporal :)
I know ti bikes are forever bikes, but wow! Holding onto the bike for 10 years, beating it up, and rebuilding it with newer components. :thumbup:

romanmoser

by romanmoser

thats what happen when you really love, fit, a bike

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I rode my 2008 Lynskey R320 for 10 years and felt I needed a aero framed bike and sold the Lunskey to a friend that still rides it and loves it. After a couple of years on the aero bike I missed the titanium bike and bought a Litespeed T3 disc and for me it's a daily rider and my aero bike gets ridden in winter on the rollers only. Nothing rides like titanium! My T3 is a lifer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com