45kph Ebike Rocketship - Scott Solace eRIDE 2023

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

A minor update today capturing some small parts:

I already described how high $/g drove me to not upgrade to dura ace shifters, fd, and rd. However, I am incorporating small changes when they are under $3.50/g or if they improve component performance marginally. After the mods decribed in this post and earlier the expected difference in weight between direct mount but otherwise stock Dura-Ace R9270 and my Ultegra R8170 shifters and derailleurs is only 65.12g at an expected delta cost of $857 if I bought used Dura-Ace and sold my Ultegra after taxes, fees, and shipping ($13.16/g).

The items that improve shifting component performance have all been covered above which leaves some small parts to change to Ti.

Shifter Clamps:

The stock shifter clamp assemblies for Ultegra are 34.30g (19.52g for two steel bands, 6.66g for two bolts, 2*0.99g for washers, 2*3.07g for nuts)
Dura-Ace shifter clamp assemblies are 21.77g (10.09g for two ti bands, 3.90g for two bolts, 2*0.95g for washers, 2*2.94g for nuts)
My modified Dura-Ace shifter clamp assemblies are 16.99g (10.09g for two Dura-Ace Ti bands and 6.90g for two aftermarket Ti bolts, washers, and nuts)

Generally you can find used Dura-Ace shifter clamps and bolts for around $60 after shipping and taxes but I harvested mine from my old commuter bike. If you are open to buying aftermarket parts all that you need from it are the Ti clamps.

I purchased the rest of the Ti parts from Aliexpress so prices will vary a bit but I paid 25.53 shipped for two sets of RT120 ($12.77 for each set).

Total weight for these aftermarket parts is 6.90g for the lighter of the two sets. The heavier set was a bit under 7g.
risk shifter parts.jpg
Some other info to share in the research for this is that you can purchase a 13g shifter clamp assembly personally made by a forum member SQUICCHI for 90 pounds + shipping.

Unfortunately the very light Schmolke carbon shifter clamps are not compatible with most of the latest groupsets due to being wider than can fit in the shifter body clamp cutouts. Klaster_1 has a great writeup on them here, here, and here.

More to come on the braking side:
brakes.png

TLN

by TLN

What's your subjective opinion on bike? Considering getting same bike, even though I'm on the opposite side: 100kg on 61cm (58/XL in Scott) frame.
I'm also in Bay area, and it seems that bike like that will turn most "boring" rides into pretty fun.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

TLN wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:19 pm
What's your subjective opinion on bike? Considering getting same bike, even though I'm on the opposite side: 100kg on 61cm (58/XL in Scott) frame.
I'm also in Bay area, and it seems that bike like that will turn most "boring" rides into pretty fun.
Performance ebikes in general are insanely under engaged with in the road community which is a shame because to me they make more sense for road than anywhere else. On MTB you have to worry about spiking power more due to technical trail features and also trail erosion which are not the case for road riding.

At a high level this bike is a massive game changer for me and I can highly recommend bikes like it to anyone in the USA, where they are not restricted, provided that you are fine with the high price point and are fine with the bike depreciating as new better designs hopefully are launched.

I have a few nice bikes that I love to ride but I have a habit of pushing myself too hard on them which isn't the case on an ebike so my base training is far funner and rewarding now in many ways.

edit: I almost always ride at max assist. Sustainably riding at somewhere around 9w/kg for an hour and a half is very addicting so I ride a lot more now. Howerver the max assist is the same for all frame sizes and riders so heavier riders benifit less than smaller riders in w/kg terms. I just wish the CdA of the bike was better instead of the aero brick its fork and downtube are.

When I compare lunch rides I basically can do my normal loop plus all the side stuff for an extra 5 miles but 2x the climbing height in the same time which makes for a far funner ride without beating myself up.

The only real negative I've found is that it doesnt reward you for sustained riding in zones 4-5 so I make sure to still ride once a week on my other high end non ebikes to continue to appreciate the difficulty of climbing that the ebike smooths over. A good way to think about it is ebikes are like training on an ERG smart trainer mode which is great for training general fitness does not replicate truely spirited riding.

Almost all of my rides are solo but when I ride with others I generally take other bikes. However when I bring this bike I generally ride with minimum support and dont push the pace.

TLN

by TLN

OtterSpace wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:58 pm
TLN wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:19 pm
edit: I almost always ride at max assist. Sustainably riding at somewhere around 9w/kg for an hour and a half is very addicting so I ride a lot more now. Howerver the max assist is the same for all frame sizes and riders so heavier riders benifit less than smaller riders in w/kg terms. I just wish the CdA of the bike was better instead of the aero brick its fork and downtube are.

The only real negative I've found is that it doesnt reward you for sustained riding in zones 4-5 so I make sure to still ride once a week on my other high end non ebikes to continue to appreciate the difficulty of climbing that the ebike smooths over. A good way to think about it is ebikes are like training on an ERG smart trainer mode which is great for training general fitness does not replicate truely spirited riding.

Almost all of my rides are solo but when I ride with others I generally take other bikes. However when I bring this bike I generally ride with minimum support and dont push the pace.
Thanks for very detailed response, that sums it nicely.

At this point I got too many bikes, and I'd rather sell some before purchasing another one, but we'll see.
I'm not aiming at ultra-light weight (and there's no point with largest frame) but it's safe to say that I might get to 12.xx kg, with sub-1300gm wheels.

I'm not planning on selling my Orca and considering building Solace as "gravel" bike (but I was considering those LW wheels for "road" application). so I might add fat road wheels later on.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

Miller

by Miller

Regarding Garmin data overlay, I notice that the new insta360 Ace action camera can export footage with Garmin data overlay via the insta360 app.