full ceramic bearings - safe for MTB XC wheelset?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cula_ru

by cula_ru

even hybrid ceramic bearing are crap. the ceramic balls will self destruct in no time.
I prefer to use high quality steel bearings.

Gran Sport

by Gran Sport

really depends on the conditions where you ride + how well your bearing race seals work (ect)

thousands of miles clocked with enduro zero hybrid ceramic bearings in hubs - nada problemos :thumbup:

waterproof phil woods grease on the outside of seals + teflon ceramic grease on the races - really does help keep them from getting crunchy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dwyaki95

by Dwyaki95

evenfasterson wrote:
Sun May 23, 2010 10:23 pm
Use top quality stainless bearings.

They roll better than most ceramic bearings on the market when loaded anyway. Ceramics that do roll faster when loaded cost an arm and a leg.

So buy stainless and pedal harder. :thumbup:
apparently retrofitting an electric motor onto a bike makes you go wayyyy faster and also able to get some spares and still be cheaper than changing to full set of ceramic bearings to go faster and smoother lol....

froze

by froze

Facts about steel vs ceramic bearings, totally scientific facts not psychobabble: https://www.cyclistshub.com/steel-vs-ce ... %20cycling.
Last edited by froze on Fri May 24, 2024 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Not certain if ceramics make me faster, but without a doubt, they allow me to ride longer. I have the stock ceramic bearings in my Super Record crankset and they have lasted well over 10 years with no maintenance. Less time fixing, more time riding.

I did go full WW on a Speedplay Zero and installed a full ceramic bearing and they lasted a few rides before the pedal no longer stayed attached. I think as long as there are no side loads or high impact, they may last, but where on a bike can you find that?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Butcher wrote:Not certain if ceramics make me faster, but without a doubt, they allow me to ride longer. I have the stock ceramic bearings in my Super Record crankset and they have lasted well over 10 years with no maintenance. Less time fixing, more time riding.

I did go full WW on a Speedplay Zero and installed a full ceramic bearing and they lasted a few rides before the pedal no longer stayed attached. I think as long as there are no side loads or high impact, they may last, but where on a bike can you find that?
You use a Super Record crank on an XC bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I stick with pavement. I can barely stay upright.

froze

by froze

Butcher wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 3:39 pm
I stick with pavement. I can barely stay upright.
But when we're young we do stuff that is risky, and we crash and burn, we get up and shake it off...except we forget that someday we'll get old, and then arthritis gives us pain all the time, ask me how I know! Even in road riding you're bound to have crashes, and the damage seems to heal just fine when you're young, but it comes back later to haunt you.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I'll be clear, it takes a lot of skill to maintain your balance with gravel/trails that you guys ride on. I know my skills and they are better at watching those on TV that have them. I would fall down instantly once on gravel.

Give me a paved hill and a 5k climb and I'm doing well.