Best lightweight flat bar

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hansotto089

by hansotto089

Hi friends,

I am building a hardtail not for XC racing but for offroad ultra cycling, think Atlas Mountain Race or the Tour Divide.

I am having a hard time comparing the various flat bars, apart from looking at the weight and geometry stats.

Does anybody have first hand experience with any of these
  • Beast Components: Riser Bar
  • Bike Ahead Composites: The Flatbar
  • TUNE: Turnstange
or another strong recommendation?

Thanks!!

DanW

by DanW

Have a look at what bars other people run for those events.

I don't think you are looking in the right direction personally. A thin, mega light carbon bar is going to be a liability with a loaded up bike, bag and accessory straps/ mounts will chew up the surface when it rains and things get gritty (not to mention the fact you won't be able to mount anything more than maybe a bag to them), they won't shrug off the inevitable crashes, not to mention the travel if you do actually intend to do these actual events.

The geometry will define everything for a mega long distance bike bar choice. After that I'd look at durability and weight would be down the list. That isn't to say a light bar wouln't work at all, but an uber light, thin wall CF bar is asking for trouble IMO.

I run a Bontrager aluminium bar on my bike of this style. It's dirt cheap, reasonable weight and you can mount anything to it anywhere along it length. At 300g I am giving away max 75g to a CF bar of similar robustness that you can mount extra stuff to with confidence.

Oh, and whilst you might see a lot of Ti bars on those types of bikes, they are more for the bling factor and not worth the weight and insane cost IMO

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Larrypmtb

by Larrypmtb

I like my Mt.Zoom carbon bars. Super light and good to go. Helping to make my epic evo sworks a 21 lb xc/trail bike.

qwertzuiop

by qwertzuiop

this probably matters less than you think. just get a carbon bar with the sweep and rise you need/desire and don't overthink. Carbon is stronger as some people make it out to be. I'm on specialized s-works flat bars and they're fine save for some wear-marks after Trans Germany (1600km) with bar bags, lights, inner bar ends and so on.

kervelo

by kervelo

Specialized S-works carbon mini rise handlebar is nice, but I wonder if it has been discontinued. You can still find the handlebar from some online shops, sometimes even with a discounted price.

sebejo

by sebejo

My Darimo sub 100g Flat bar is going strong 3 years, when not in the occasional bikepacking races (with clip-on aero bar and inner bar ends) part of a 120mm downcountry setup. Inclunding few crashes and not so near passes of gates where I thought I would still fit.
Actually super impressed that it survived all this, your milage may vary.

pushpush

by pushpush

I went through a variety of bars and wound up with an s-works mini rise (FS) and a canyon bar (HT). I like them both. Both have been through a lot and will likely last me the remainder of my lifetime.

DanW

by DanW

Choosing a bar which can accommodate clip on aero bars and either lock on grips with outer bar ends integrated or stand alone bar ends would also be on my list. If that comes at 100g and you can afford it then great... but most mega light CF bars aren't intended to be used like this.

The Spesh/ Roval bars are a good shout and what I use on my FS XC bike.

As already recommended, work out the shape and dimensions you need first and foremost and go from there. Bikepacking.com are pretty good for relevant reviews and have a great article on different aero bar systems for flat bar bikes.

Personally I've found more recent Mt Zoom bars really hit or miss for quality. I had one set with a wall thickness less than 0.01mm- it was literally paper thin and could be squeezed together with a gentle finger press.

My experience of the really light bars is they are fine if used as intended but make sure you choose something with a crash replacement policy. I've snapped a few clean in half with a fairly innocuous crash and put long cracks on others running the length of the grips from clipping trees at race pace. I can't be dealing with that sh.. on a long ride in the middle of nowhere :D

hansotto089

by hansotto089

DanW wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 7:54 pm
My experience of the really light bars is they are fine if used as intended but make sure you choose something with a crash replacement policy.
That's a very good point. What are some "light weight" manufacturers that offer a solid crash replacement policy?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com