Cervelo ZHT-5 vs Canyon Exceed CFR

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hansotto089

by hansotto089

Hi friends

I am building a hardtail not for XC racing but for offroad ultra cycling, think Atlas Mountain Race or the Tour Divide. I am in between Cervelo ZHT-5 and Canyon Exceed CFR (unfortunately the CF SLX is not an option / not available to me at the moment).

I have two things on my mind right now that still hold me back :)

1) the Canyon CFR is marketed as “unapologetically stiff” - maybe too stiff for my use case?

2) the Canyon PF92 bottom bracket is really a poor choice in my opinion to use it with DUB cranks (small bearings). Reliability problems are to be expected or do I make it too much of a concern?

3) What would be your recommendation?

Thanks!

boots2000

by boots2000

Since Specialized did away with the S-Works level hardtail, I think the Ceverlo is the best choice going. Crazy light, good geometry and nice component spec.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

In case you are from the EU: the German shop gocycle still has some ZHT-5 framesets for 1500€.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

The bb alone would be a dealbreaker for me on the canyon, the acros headset is also shit. Bearings on MTB’s need regular servicing, especially when doing ultra’s, a threaded bb is a big plus. I would also look at the Factor Lando HT because you have the option of not running the cables through the headset

hannawald

by hannawald

If you buy something like BB Infinite you can service it as well...