Why would I want a dropper post?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I mostly road ride and a bit of gravel. Been hitting snow and trails on my fat bike. I recently bought a Specialized Stumpjumper and am not done with the build. Why would I want a dropper post?

eins4eins

by eins4eins

if you use the stumpy where it belongs, you'll want a dropper for steep descends or drops where you need to get your weight as far back and low as possible.
Otherwise you might get stuck behind the saddle or the saddle pushes you into a frontflip.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Thank you for the feedback. Considering I'll be 67 tomorrow I don't see myself doing anything radical. For the past 4 years before getting the Stumpy I rode my fat on the trails and most of what we have here is pretty flowing, no radical climbs or desents, I sit on the saddle and do sometimes get off the back but very seldom.

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

If you aren't doing steep descents, then you just don't need need a dropper post. It will only add weight, complexity and cost.
Not everyone in the mtbing world has a dropper post.

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

As already said, if you're not riding technical/ gnarly trails, then you don't need one. There is a common misconception that everyone on a MTB is doing bike parks and 'sending it'.
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

snaxez

by snaxez

If you have the money to spend, then you can get a ROCKSHOX Seatpost Reverb AXS and you can swap between rigid post within a few min.

req110

by req110

I think any bike with travel 120mm must have dropper post. If you don't need a dropper post, you likely don't need 120 travel. That's a natural combination.
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

pushpush

by pushpush

Every bike should have a dropper. The number of times the dropper gets used on a ride is enormous. It isn't an occasional adjustment once or twice per ride, it is for constant adjustment to meet the terrain and optimize your pedaling. Once you have one you will wonder why you ever rode without one.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

req110 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:35 pm
I think any bike with travel 120mm must have dropper post. If you don't need a dropper post, you likely don't need 120 travel. That's a natural combination.
Agree with this.
World cup XC racers use dropper and 120mm travel because their race course is technical.

But a lot of other amateur xc race doesn't look like that. I know racers group who frequently podium in my state just don't use dropper post because they don't benefit from one for 95% of the course they race. It's terrain and course specific so I know a lot of people elsewhere could think it's mandatory for every mtb.

I have 120mm dropper on my bike. And on some of the trail I ride, I use it 0 times. Some trail I use it hundreds of time and still get dropped on descend by those friends who don't have dropper posts anyway.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

There's billions other reasons to use a dropper post other than 'riding gnarly terrain'. Off the top of my head from my own experiences:

- Riding at lower speeds in tall grass you can't see through (if you hit a stump or a ditch the saddle won't buck you forward and you have much better chance of saving the situation)
- Drop the saddle and aero-tuck on long descends (you'd be surprised how much faster and more comfortable this is)
- Low-speed technical riding and climbing (Just drop it an inch or so - so that you can still effectively put power down, but bike maneuverability is greatly improved)
- It's comfier to just drop the saddle and put a foot out while stationary. Much better than having to sit on a top-tube.
etc.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP|Ultegra R8100|Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

freepk

by freepk

Just more space for movement with dropper, but if you dont need, dont want or maybe just cant - dont use it.
Main problem is cable, but you always have heavy but wireless AXS option )
Up to you )

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

What made you go for a stumpjumper if you don't need a dropper? The Stumpy is probably extremely overkill if you don't need a dropper where you ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

[quote=JaeOne3345 post_id=1861753 time=1712436673 user_id=15865]
What made you go for a stumpjumper if you don't need a dropper? The Stumpy is probably extremely overkill if you don't need a dropper where you ride.
[/quote]

It was a deal that I could not walk away from since I was looking to go full suspension from the fat bike I was riding on the trails since 2019. The fat is a hardtail in summer mode. I take off the Borealis fork and put on the Wren. I had to work too hard on the fat to keep up with my friends on full suspension bikes.