XC Wheelset comparison - looking for advise

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

I'm choosing an XC wheelset from the list below:
- Style: light XC
- All rims are 30 internal diameter (I suppose this is pretty much given now?)
- [g]: weight in [g]
- Important factor - I can get them at prices in the last column

I'm leaning towards the Rovals, but they are not the lightest of the bunch. Very sturdy though.
For comparison - currently, I have a 2019 DT Swiss XCR 25mm with DT 240s (marked in red). Do you think I'll feel the difference?

Feel free to suggest a different wheelset too :) I won't be getting a wheelset with fixed carbon spokes though.
I would REALLY appreciate your input!

EDIT: I've just run into these, the weights seem crazy at these prices https://www.deerobust.com/mtb-xc-carbon ... etric.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

qwertzuiop

by qwertzuiop

What tires are you going to run? When you say light XC I'm automatically thinking 2.2" tyres, so no need to go 30mm id. Narrow tires are lighter too. So in your position I'd either keep the existing wheelset and get some light tires eg. Conti Race King / Speed King in 2.2" or get a wheelset with berd or pi rope spokes, depending on where you live. PI Rope has an XC wheelset that weighs 1085g. Berds XC is 1230g. I'd rather not have carbon spokes on a cross country bike.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I wouldn't use carbon spokes for off-road use. However, Dynema/polymer rope spokes are reliable. It won't shatter into pieces like carbon spokes from repeated fall/impacts.
Light Bicycle with Berd spokes would be the lightest by far. But that isn't cheap...
From the list, LB XC930 with steel spokes then. It works great with 2.2-2.4" XC tires.

Here is how light LB can be. Someone made 950g wheelset using LB XC930, Berd spokes, extralite hyperboost 3 hub.
https://www.mtbr.com/threads/950-gram-m ... t.1228716/
Last edited by Hexsense on Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

First of all, thanks for the feedback!
qwertzuiop wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:30 pm
What tires are you going to run? When you say light XC I'm automatically thinking 2.2" tyres, so no need to go 30mm id. Narrow tires are lighter too. So in your position I'd either keep the existing wheelset and get some light tires eg. Conti Race King / Speed King in 2.2" or get a wheelset with berd or pi rope spokes, depending on where you live.
Tire width: To clarify "light XC" = singletracks with lots of roots. That's something I talked a lot about with local "pros". The consensus seems to be, that 2.4" tyres perform better over roots. I bought Wolfpack Race 2.4 for the front and Wolfpack Speed 2.4 for the rear. On 2.25 Rocket Rons I'd been losing grip and falling into ditches regularly.
Rim width: It's hard to find stock XC/MTB bikes with 25mm rims anymore. DT SWISS will not be making XRC 1200 in 25 mm version from June 2024 onwards. I'm not saying that the industry is always right, but that's saying something.
Hexsense wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:50 pm
I wouldn't use carbon spokes for off-road use. However, Dynema/polymer rope spokes are reliable. It won't shatter into pieces like carbon spokes from repeated fall/impacts.
Light Bicycle with Berd spokes would be the listest by far. But that isn't cheap...
From the list, LB XC930 with steel spokes then. It works great with 2.2-2.4" XC tires.

Here is how light LB can be. Someone made 950g wheelset using LB XC930, Berd spokes, extralite hyperboost 3 hub.
https://www.mtbr.com/threads/950-gram-m ... t.1228716/
Also confirmed by virtually anyone I talked to in the meantime, carbon spokes are to be avoided for offroad. Berd spokes seem like the way to go, but these come at a price. About the linked wheelset, I wouldn't go with Extralite hubs, as they supposedly require very frequent servicing. LB XC930 + Berd seems like a great option indeed. I wonder how stiff and durable would they be?

My bike shop dropped the price of brand new Rovals to 980 USD and I could not resist. It's a Shimano MicroSpline version and apparently, they had a hard time selling it as most Specialized bikes run SRAM. It's virtually impossible to get a wheelset with steel spokes that would weigh below 1160g and eventually, I concluded, that that 80 g might be worth it if it means I'm getting a very sturdy wheelset with a full warranty. Especially below 1000 USD.

Thanks for the input!

pushpush

by pushpush

I have been very happy with my controlSL set. Mine also have the dt180s. They have been absolutely bulletproof and are just as round and true as the day I got them. It is pretty impressive to be honest. I had a problem with one early on and Specialized replaced it with no fuss. They let me keep the old wheel which I paid to fix and kept as a spare. Good experience all around.

Tires are probably one of the most personal and location specific puzzles to solve. IMO, 2.4 is too much tire for XC for most riders in most places. I would suggest trying a different tire in the same size before trying a different tire in a different size. Control your variables to find what really works best for you. I have had good experiences with the WPR and WPS tires, but prefer them in a smaller size for the weight savings. You do specifically mention roots. The only place I think those tires underperform is in a bunch of wet slippery roots. The WP Trail tire is better for those conditions. I have also had good success running a mix of speedking out front with a WP tire out back.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

pushpush wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:37 pm
IMO, 2.4 is too much tire for XC for most riders in most places.
Here is the thing about tire size.

Nino Schurter and etc., through their testing,
Experiment between 2.2 with knobs versus 2.4 semi slick.

They found 2.4 semi slick at really low pressure (I'm talking about 14-20 psi ) is simply faster and grip just as well in dry condition.
2.2 with bigger knobs only have advantage when it's muddy.

Therefore, modern fast setup is 2.4 (or 2.35) semi slick-- something like Kenda Rush, Maxxis Aspens, Pirelli XC RC, Schwalbe Thunder Burt.
I agree that 2.4 with prominant knobs are indeed, overkill for XC for most riders in most places.

PS. low tire pressure on a real trail can cause rim damage if you bottom out the rim badly. But then if you don't keep tire pressure low, you may need knobs to grip stuff. If you need big knobs, 2.4 knobby is overkill...

MagicShite

by MagicShite

i have the CRW XC Wheelset.

The non-standard bearings are crap. I had to swap my front ones within 1 month of use.

I'm hoping the new ones (from enduro) lasts much longer than whatever stock OEM they use.

Best IMO is DT350 laced to whatever the XC30 variant that are now very popular amongst the big brands, such as EXS, LB, VFV, etc

The DT240-s are okay but these run non-standard bearings. Massive 6902 bearings on the DT350 and suffer a slight weight penalty is the way to go.

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:22 pm
They found 2.4 semi slick at really low pressure (I'm talking about 14-20 psi ) is simply faster and grip just as well in dry condition.
2.2 with bigger knobs only have advantage when it's muddy.

Therefore, modern fast setup is 2.4 (or 2.35) semi slick-- something like Kenda Rush, Maxxis Aspens, Pirelli XC RC, Schwalbe Thunder Burt.
I agree that 2.4 with prominant knobs are indeed, overkill for XC for most riders in most places.
As advised by local racers, I went with Wolfpack Speed for the rear. A little bigger knobs though, but not fat by any means. Does it fall to similar category as the ones you've mentioned?:
MagicShite wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:32 am
i have the CRW XC Wheelset.

The non-standard bearings are crap. I had to swap my front ones within 1 month of use.

I'm hoping the new ones (from enduro) lasts much longer than whatever stock OEM they use.

Best IMO is DT350 laced to whatever the XC30 variant that are now very popular amongst the big brands, such as EXS, LB, VFV, etc

The DT240-s are okay but these run non-standard bearings. Massive 6902 bearings on the DT350 and suffer a slight weight penalty is the way to go.
That would have been my second choice, but I could get Roval SLs for way cheaper and they come with a local warranty. What is the stiffness and overall performance of XC30? I suppose, that 1 month might too short to fully review it.

raihak

by raihak

UrgentDelay wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:15 pm

That would have been my second choice, but I could get Roval SLs for way cheaper and they come with a local warranty. What is the stiffness and overall performance of XC30? I suppose, that 1 month might too short to fully review it.
Hey, I'm new here and I've followed this thread. How did you get that crazy price for the Roval SLs? That's an instant buy price and I'm look for that wheelset too!

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

raihak wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:48 pm
UrgentDelay wrote:

Hey, I'm new here and I've followed this thread. How did you get that crazy price for the Roval SLs? That's an instant buy price and I'm look for that wheelset too!
It's not actually that cheap, it's my personal, effective price after incorporating my settlements with the seller and only for the Shimano version. The cheapest I've found Roval SLs in regular deals was 1514 USD for Shimano and 1917 USD for Sram.

mfa81

by mfa81

UrgentDelay wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:19 pm
raihak wrote:
UrgentDelay wrote:

It's not actually that cheap, it's my personal, effective price after incorporating my settlements with the seller and only for the Shimano version. The cheapest I've found Roval SLs in regular deals was 1514 USD for Shimano and 1917 USD for Sram.
Can you share where you found the $1514 deal on the MS control sl? even if you end up buying a new freehub body it makes it cheaper than the XD and basically the same price I found on Zipp Hitop SW

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

mfa81 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:19 pm
UrgentDelay wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:19 pm
raihak wrote:
UrgentDelay wrote:

Can you share where you found the $1514 deal on the MS control sl? even if you end up buying a new freehub body it makes it cheaper than the XD and basically the same price I found on Zipp Hitop SW
1.385,30 EUR, Shimano: https://www.pro-mstore.com/en/specializ ... s-96699023
Sram costs extra: https://www.pro-mstore.com/en/specializ ... t-43721175

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mfa81

by mfa81

Thank you! but of course they won't ship to the US :(