Is there some hidden magic in big brands XC wheelsets?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hannawald

by hannawald

Hi,

I am thinking about the ideal XC wheelset. Being primary a roadie I have not much experience with mtb latest trends.
As for the road wheelset I believe with big brands you buy some ride quality - comfort and stiffness, cross wind stability, wind tunnel proven performance...

As for mtb I just wonder why so many big brands (DT Swiss, Reynolds, Mavic...) has XC wheelsets in 1450g range with 25 mm rim height etc. What you are buying for big money (2000 euro range) compared to DT Swiss hubs, Duke/Berg/chinese rims and CX Rays? You save money with the latter option, 200g, with 28 spokes there should be enough stiffness... it also looks like these are more uptodate with rim heights around 20mm... it seems to me only Bontrager Kovee RSL/Roval Control SL can compete in specs....

Is there some hidden magic in big brands wheelset compared to a custom wheelset? Is the ride quality better optimised in any way despite the specs look worse on paper?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aeo

by Aeo

Syncros Silverton if you have the cash

Otherwise Nextie Vista which will be around 1000 grams: https://www.nextie.com/vista-edition-mtb-wheelset-alpha

Another example of a big brand wheel:
The Reserve 28|XC is the race-ready culmination of everything we’ve learned from years at the highest levels of competition. At 1387g for a complete DT Swiss 180 hub wheelset with tape and valves (AND no rider weight limit and lifetime warranty)
I almost forgot, the gamechanger especially in MTB rims: You can get the Chinese rim with a closed rim bed and don't have to waste time finding the perfect rim tape
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

scant

by scant

is there some hidden magic? basically no. I had dt swiss on enve rims, when the enve rim cracked, I rebuilt with light bicycle. the LB rims were a fraction lighter & a lot smoother, not as brutal stiff on rougher trails. i've owned the LB rims 4 times longer than the enves. I'm not a heavy weight rider, but 28 spokes for the back wheel wheel gave too much lateral flex in hard corners or big effort sprints.

search ebay for tesa tape, its basically stans tubeless tape, but a lot cheaper.

Minirac

by Minirac

There is. They design wheel as a whole and set stiffness(lateral, torsional, angular, transmissional), compliance(vertical, horizontal) and durability targets. Rovals, Bontrager, Dt SWISS and new ones are 30mm inner width and 1250g with tape! Where did you get 1450g??

qwertzuiop

by qwertzuiop

Minirac wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:57 pm
Where did you get 1450g??
DT Swiss XRC 1200 are still from 1411g. You're right about Bontrager and Roval though.

OP: If you're looking for some magic sauce, maybe you need to look into BERD spokes. They sell complete wheelsets as well.

zscs

by zscs

qwertzuiop wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:20 am
Minirac wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:57 pm
Where did you get 1450g??
DT Swiss XRC 1200 are still from 1411g. You're right about Bontrager and Roval though.

OP: If you're looking for some magic sauce, maybe you need to look into BERD spokes. They sell complete wheelsets as well.
The 25mm inner rim width version maybe ~1411g, the 30mm version is heavier. :) My Lux CFR WC came with the 30mm inner rim width DT Swiss XRC 1200 29" set (DT 180 CL hubs with ceramic bearings, XD, etc.). Measured the wheelset ~1 year ago and as far as I remember, it was approx. 1500g. Quite heavy to be honest.

F45

by F45

The DT 1200 25mm internal rim is 450g. I weighed one!

hannawald

by hannawald

That's crazy. It must have been porky even when the wheelset was released, absolutely outdated today.

nickf

by nickf

You are paying for the warranty and crash replacement program with big brands.

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

Apologies for bombing this topic, but I'm facing the same choice and would appreciate your 2p. I've prepared a comparison too: weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=175066

zscs

by zscs

An interesting review, not only Yeti but also there's a new DT Swiss wheelset is reviewed here: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-20 ... -game.html
The name is still XRC1200 (not listed on dtswiss.com yet), tester says it's a new rim design, weight for the set is 1303 grams. I hope we'll see some more info about it soon. ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zscs

by zscs

The new Newmen Phase 30 Light VONOA 29er carbon wheelset, with carbon spokes. 1160g claimed weight, ~1600 EUR price, 130 kg weight limit (!).
https://www.newmen-components.de/Konfig ... d421bb14b0&

Some more info at Mtb-news.de (use Google Translate, if needed): https://www.mtb-news.de/news/newmen-phase-30-vonoa/
(at the link above, you can find a link with a forum and discussion as well, Newmen explained quite a few technical details, about spoke replacing / spoke tension adjustments, real life experience, etc.)