Monstercross-esque Chisel

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Upcountry

by Upcountry

Not really... People mix and match boost spacing rear ends and cranksets all the time. By using a 0mm offset ring, I'm essentially doing that. Perhaps the largest cog is a bit noisier due to the chain articulation, but its not significant.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Upcountry wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:19 pm
Not really... People mix and match boost spacing rear ends and cranksets all the time. By using a 0mm offset ring, I'm essentially doing that. Perhaps the largest cog is a bit noisier due to the chain articulation, but its not significant.
Do I need a wider spindle to run the 0 offset ring? If so where can I find a wide spindle arm set? I've been looking but it appears to only be on transmission. Thank you

andrewbn42

by andrewbn42

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Upcountry wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:19 pm
Do I need a wider spindle to run the 0 offset ring? If so where can I find a wide spindle arm set? I've been looking but it appears to only be on transmission. Thank you
No, you can use a zero offset chainring with a normal crank.
If you want a 55mm crank, you can look for a sram super boost crank, or they make 55mm quarq crankarms. Both a wide crank and zero offset can get you a big chainring, but the chainline will be fairly poor for the big cogs in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfranci3

by jfranci3

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:18 am
Was thinking of getting a chisel and putting a 40 mm travel fork on it with drop bars and trying to get it close to a monster cross 29er.

Two issues I would like advice on:

Max tooth chainring I can run on a chisel and other similar hardtails that may be able to take a bigger ring?

Would reducing the travel from the stock fork affect the headtube strength of the bike?
The only things I'd add to think about- water bottle capacity, wheelbase, and head angle. If you're going to be doing long rides, I'd size up for better water bottle space. The bike is going to be quite a bit longer than a gravel bike. With the shorter fork, the head angle is going to change pretty radically - find a website and figure out the change at sag.

I don't understand the shorter fork thing. You're going to get better fork options out of a proper fork. A rigid MTB fork is like 800-900gr, a gravel suspension fork is like $700@ 1300gr(?), and a cheap/good Reba takeoff is $200 @ 1600gr.

kervelo

by kervelo

jfranci3 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:31 pm
I don't understand the shorter fork thing. You're going to get better fork options out of a proper fork. A rigid MTB fork is like 800-900gr, a gravel suspension fork is like $700@ 1300gr(?), and a cheap/good Reba takeoff is $200 @ 1600gr.
Another great option for a monstercross bike would be the previous generation Rockshox Sid SL Ultimate. With 1320 grams it is very light and it was quite recently available for around 450€. You can also always lock the suspension fork if the conditions require that.

Upcountry

by Upcountry

In my instance, the shorter fork thing is two fold: to increase the head tube angle a bit, to get it more inline with a gravel bike versus a mtb. And secondly and probably more importantly is simply to decrease the stack. I simply couldn't get my bars low enough in relation to my saddle position to get close to a similar feel as my other drop bar bikes. And this is in conjuction with a pretty extreme stem angle. I do fully understand the argument against a "gravel suspension" fork for this use case though in terms of weight and price.

wanderlustcycling

by wanderlustcycling

TwincamRob wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:30 pm

40t
amazing set up!
which parts did you use?
-sram axs xplr rear derailleur?
-axs xplr cassette? which range?
-original chisel crankarms?
-which bottom bracket?

is the xplr rear derailleur compatible with eagle axs mtb shifter?

Upcountry

by Upcountry

Scroll back a page and read....

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Slightly off topic but is the latest Chisel UDH? Can't find any info that it is, but looks kinda similar shape. Looking for a similar aluminium hardtail that is UDH if not.

Upcountry

by Upcountry

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:27 pm
Slightly off topic but is the latest Chisel UDH? Can't find any info that it is, but looks kinda similar shape. Looking for a similar aluminium hardtail that is UDH if not.
The Chisel and Epic HT are not UDH... The Epic Evo is, and I'd imagine any new MTB's from Specialized will be UDH.