Vitus Rapide FS CRX potential weight savings?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kit

by Kit

Hi all!

I'm thinking about buying a Vitus Rapide FS CRX in Large, I want something similar to a Transition Spur but lighter (and dare I say cheaper!), for Marathon type riding.

A medium is 10.9 kg (tubeless setup) with the below spec, so I assume the large will be circa 11.4 kg and I want to put a dropper post on it which will probably add 300g, totalling roughly 11.7 kg what would be the best way to lose 1kg from this bike while keeping the dropper and T Transmission?

https://vitusbikes.com/collections/rapi ... -bike-07e7

FRAME Rapide FS UD Carbon Full Suspension Frame

Post disc brake mounts, BSA threaded BB, Boost hub spacing – 148mm x 12mm thru axle. Axle Specifications: 181mm Length, 20mm Thread Length, M12xP1.5 Thread Pitch

REAR HUB Reynolds TR MTN

XD Freehub, 3 pawl with 10 degree engagement, 6 Bolt Disc Fitment, 148mm x 12mm

FORKS RockShox SID SL Ultimate 29”

100mm travel, Remote Lockout, DebonAir, Charger Race Day Damper, 32mm stanchions, tapered alloy steerer, Boost hub spacing – 110mm x 15mm Maxle Stealth axle, 44mm Offset

WHEELSET Reynolds TR 309/289 XC Carbon Wheelset
29", 30mm Inner Rim Width, Presta Valve, XD Freehub, Tubeless Ready Rim Tape Installed

SHOCK RockShox SIDLuxe Select+

Remote Lockout, trunnion mount, DebonAir, 165mm x 40mm

FRONT TYRE Maxxis Rekon Race

29" x 2.25", EXO casing

CHAINSET SRAM GX Eagle T-Type

12 Speed, 30T Narrow Wide Chainring, 170mm Crank Length

REAR TYRE Maxxis Rekon Race

29" x 2.25", EXO casing

BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM DUB

BSA Threaded BB, 73mm Shell

BRAKES Hayes Dominion A2

Post Mount, Two Piston Caliper

BRAKE ROTORS Hayes D-Series

180mm Front, 160mm Rear, 6 Bolt Hub Fitment

REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM GX Eagle T-Type AXS

12 Speed, Wireless Electronic, Long Cage

HANDLEBARS Ritchey MTN WCS 2X Trail Flat Bar
7050 Alloy, 5mm rise, 9° back sweep, S: 720mm wide, M: 740mm, L & XL: 760mm wide

SHIFTERS SRAM AXS Pod Controller
12 Speed, Wireless Electronic, MMX Clamp

STEM Ritchey WCS C220 84D
Forged 2014 Alloy, Reach - S: 70mm, M:80mm, L:90mm, XL: 100mm, 31.8mm Handlebar Clamp Diameter, +/-6° Rise

CASSETTE SRAM GX Eagle T-Type

12 Speed, 10-52T Range

HEADSET Acros AiX-322 R3
IS41.8/28.6 upper & IS52/40 lower to suit 1-1/8" upper tapered to 1.5" lower headtube

CHAIN SRAM GX T-Type
12 Speed, 118 Links

GRIPS Vitus Lock On
N/A

FRONT RIM Reynolds TR 309 XC Carbon
29", 25mm Inner Rim Width, Presta Valve, Tubeless Ready Rim Tape Installed

SADDLE WTB SL8 Comp
142mm wide, Black, CrMo Rails

REAR RIM Reynolds TR 289 XC Carbon
29", 28mm Inner Rim Width, Presta Valve, Tubeless Ready Rim Tape Installed

SEATPOST Ritchey WCS Zero
3D forged 7050 alloy, zero offset, 31.6mm x 400mm

FRONT HUB Reynolds TR MTN
6 Bolt Disc Fitment, 110mm x 15mm

SEATCLAMP Vitus
34.9mm Diameter

TheRookie

by TheRookie

A few things jump out to me
1/ GX crankset - there is about 200g to be saved by going to XX1/RF Next SL or similar
2/ Saddle - cromo rails and it may not even fit you, about 80g less for a Ti rail or another 60g less for carbon.
3/ Dropper post, I just got a KS Lev Ci for £200 new, opted for a slight heavier USE southpaw level (just 33g) which is a nice combo to keep the weight penalty down. The WCS is about 260g, my bits (150mm drop for a trail bike so heavier than the 100/125 you'll likely use) weigh just 550g
4/ Replace the alloy bars with carbon, Stem probably isn't too bad.
5/ Foam or silicon grips will save a bit depending on your preference.
6/ Generic seatpost clamp and possibly QR (with a rigid post) so a few g to be saved inexpensively there, if it's bolted you could just get a Ti bolt for it.
7/ Hayes Dominion 2 aren't lightweight brakes at about 300g an end, Something like Magura MT4/8 will save about 60-80g an end.
8/ Although it's running stealth Maxles, lighter are available (though cost/gram may be a biit higher compared to the saving from a QR).
9/ Carbon cages are availble to replace the heavier GX alumnium on the rear mech, aliexpress ones seem to work well and are about 30 £/$/E
10/ Appears to have 3 water cage bolts, replace any unused ones with either a nylon bolt (looks nicer) or a dot of silicon sealer.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

From above, there are some thing I can add:
1) Better go with XX-SL crank because it come with chainring that work with T-type chain than going with XX1 and then replace the chainring. Newer Sram stuff use 8 bolt chainring interface. So you can't even fit XX-SL (8 bolt) chainring on XX1 crank (3 bolt). If you get XX1, then you probably need aftermarket 3 bolt chainring that work properly with T-type chain like Wolftooth Dropstop B-type. Work properly is the key. T-type chain is the narrowest chain you can find, same width as Campagnolo 13 speed and it has larger roller than traditional chain. Some chainring may appear to work at first, but not in mud and accelerate wears due to mismatch profile. To avoid all these head-ache. Just buy XX-SL crank.

7) Hayes Dominion T2 save about 50g each from A2 and doesn't change how it works. You'd still have the brake that is better than a lot of 4 piston brakes. And according comparison part near the end of this article: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-tr ... rakes.html . It's about the best 2 piston brakes available, next to Trickstuff Piccola c22 which is many times more expensive. Also, Dominion T4 has 4 pistons and weight only less than 10 grams more than T2. That's another option if you'd rather have more max power at cost of less initial bite and less pad clearance.

9) Is GX Transmission (T-type) cage already available aftermarket? The cage on T-type has spring rotation axle and part of the clutch connected to it. So it's not that simple to make aftermarket one.
Still, official Sram cage from XX-SL fits but not very cost effective. https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/produc ... e-assembly

+11) Gx T-type cassette is significantly heavier than X0 T-type cassette. XX weight the same as X0. XX-SL is lighter yet, but it has more aluminum cogs which affect durability.
Sell your GX T-type cassette while it's still new to get X0 T-type cassette.

+12) I don't like Rekon Race. If you are okay with Rekon Race 2.2 grip level, Kenda Rush TR 2.2 is lighter and faster. Or get Kenda Booster TR for a bit more grip.
Last edited by Hexsense on Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snaxez

by snaxez

8 Bolt Dub wide XX1 crank should be same as XX-SL, and you can add older boost Quarq with 104 BCD WolfTooth Drop-stop B oval chainring.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Yes 8 bolt Quarq Dub XX1 is the same as XX-SL crank arms, aside from cosmetic.
However, it is very rare. Normal XX1 Dub (not Quarq) is 3 bolt.
Before XX-SL, regular Dub crank is 3 bolt and Quarq one is 8 bolt. You can't upgrade your XX1 3 bolt with Quarq power meter without also changing the crank. They did it that way because they wanted to maintain 3 bolt chainring compatibility (which is common back then).

With Transmission. It's now all 8 bolt (no more 3 bolt). You can now upgrade transmission crank with Quarq without changing crank arms.

If you have 3 bolt crank, the best way to upgrade with power meter would be Sigeyi powermeter spider (for 3 bolt) and Wolftooth Dropstop B 104BCD.
Or just 3 bolt direct mount Wolftooth Dropstep B if you don't need power.

Kit

by Kit

Wow, thank you all for your detailed replies!

I'm happy to give Kenda Rush TR 2.2 a shot, any idea how much that should save?

I'm completely new to this, is there any particular order I should follow out of your kind suggestions?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

IMO I'd order it like this:
Tier 0 (no brainer)
1) Tires
2) Bar (consider Mt.Zoom for light carbon bar that isn't very expensive)
3) Grip
Tier 1 (recommended)
4) Saddle
5) Crank
6) Cassette
7) Seatpost
Tier 2 (still recommended)
8.) Brakes (100g total could be saved at a pretty high price for Dominion T2/ T4, the Dominion A2 already perform at the top of pack for 2 piston brakes)
Then the rest.

Kenda Rush 2.2 TR is 525g each
https://shop.kendatire.com/Rush-p/214750.htm

Rekon Race 2.25 is 681g each

Two tires you save 312g
Even if you get more grip by changing front to Kenda Booster TR or Karma2 TR or even up size to Rush 2.4 TR you still save significant amount of weight

Kit

by Kit

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:51 pm
IMO I'd order it like this:
Tier 0 (no brainer)
1) Tires
2) Bar (consider Mt.Zoom for light carbon bar that isn't very expensive)
3) Grip
Tier 1 (recommended)
4) Saddle
5) Crank
6) Cassette
7) Seatpost
Tier 2 (still recommended)
8.) Brakes (100g total could be saved at a pretty high price for Dominion T2/ T4, the Dominion A2 already perform at the top of pack for 2 piston brakes)
Then the rest.

Kenda Rush 2.2 TR is 525g each
https://shop.kendatire.com/Rush-p/214750.htm

Rekon Race 2.25 is 681g each

Two tires you save 312g
Even if you get more grip by changing front to Kenda Booster TR or Karma2 TR or even up size to Rush 2.4 TR you still save significant amount of weight
Perfect, thank you Hex!

Kit

by Kit

I've been looking at saddles but im starting to go a bit cross eyed, I currently use a 155 wide Specialized Bridge Comp Saddle with MIMIC. Is there something similar which is light weight?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com