2024 Trek Supercaliber

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kgm89

by Kgm89

Hi! just got my 2024 supercaliber with xo t type groupset, bontrager kovee pro wheelset, rsl integrated handlebar. Want to see what would you do cut down some weight? Already looking into a lighter dropper (this bintrager weighs 540gr) and waiting for a SID SL 110 in blue when it comes available. Let me know!
Attachments
IMG_0778.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

For the whole drive train setup,
The only part that can make big impact to the weight and is cost effective is the crankset.
XX SL crankset (hollow carbon) is significantly lighter than XX (carbon with foam insert) and X0 (alloy).

Other than that, Maybe lighter tires and grips?
Particularly,
Sqlab 711 r grip or ESI grip.
Kenda (2.4" TR version, not SCT) Karma2 (619g) front and Rush (609g) rear.
However, Saint Anne tires you got has not even been released. So I don't know its weight.
When I search Saint Anne tires. This is what I got https://en.brujulabike.com/why-were-the ... world-cup/

hannawald

by hannawald

Regarding the tires it is interesting that the specs and pictures on Trek website say there should be Saint Anne RSL tires but I see Pro instead of RSL on the picture...hard to say what that means whether they have 2 levels of the tires...

Btw is the rear bottle cage actually usable without the side entry/release of the bottle?

I don´t see many parts where you can save the weight besides the seatpost/saddle and maybe cranks.

Kgm89

by Kgm89

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:55 pm
For the whole drive train setup,
The only part that can make big impact to the weight and is cost effective is the crankset.
XX SL crankset (hollow carbon) is significantly lighter than XX (carbon with foam insert) and X0 (alloy).

Other than that, Maybe lighter tires and grips?
Particularly,
Sqlab 711 r grip or ESI grip.
Kenda (2.4" TR version, not SCT) Karma2 (619g) front and Rush (609g) rear.
However, Saint Anne tires you got has not even been released. So I don't know its weight.
When I search Saint Anne tires. This is what I got https://en.brujulabike.com/why-were-the ... world-cup/
XX SL crankset looks to be the way to go as you say regarding the groupset. Already changed tires to maxxis aspen 2.25 EXO in the back and 2.35 aspen race exo maxspeed in the front. The saint annes that came with the bike are the pro version and they felt slow compared to the usual setup that I run with the maxxis aspen and ardent race, maybe is because its the pro version and not the RSL. ESI grips are on the way, fox transfer sl dropper and would like to go for a 3d seat as I have heard a lot of good things.

Kgm89

by Kgm89

hannawald wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:41 pm
Regarding the tires it is interesting that the specs and pictures on Trek website say there should be Saint Anne RSL tires but I see Pro instead of RSL on the picture...hard to say what that means whether they have 2 levels of the tires...

Btw is the rear bottle cage actually usable without the side entry/release of the bottle?

I don´t see many parts where you can save the weight besides the seatpost/saddle and maybe cranks.
So the bike should have come with the RSL version but came with the pro used them one time and didnt like them.. they felt slow compared to my usual maxxis aspen-ardent setup.

It also should have come with ELITE version wheels but came with the PROS so no complains on that.

Already bought a fox transfer SL and will be looking into a seat!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

My 9.8 Xt came with Pirelli Scorpion tires instead of Bontrager Sainte-Anne RSL XR, so obviously Trek has a shortage of tires.