2024 Orbea Oiz m LTD weight

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

So my custom orbea oiz m ltd just arrived.
size M
full xx sl transmission (xtr brakes to save weight)
fox transfer sl dropper
120mm suspension with three way switch.
29x30mm id wheels. (with 2.4 maxxis recon race tires)
34 sc fork
new 2024 float sl shock (lighter)
my orbea custom paint - naked gloss carbon. should be good for ~100g savings.

Now, if you look back at promotional articles, there is reference to a sales rep or product manager having a 9.98kg m ltd with pedals and a bottle cage. this is my reference. note he had recon race tires.

out of the box... with recon race tires and tubes... no pedals... 10.4kg. a good 400+ grams heavier than expected. where is the weight from? lets try and find out...

Note: Right now my bike is 10kg on the nose. how did i get there?

- remove tubes: -417g
- swap x2 recon race for racing ralphs:846 +809 vs 725 + 690g. -240g
- 120ml stans: +120g (did half)
- add eggbeater 11 pedals: +178g (note his pedals look like Xpedo CXR Pro TI or similar at ~240g)
- add carbonworks cage: +6g
- swap in berk dila saddle: -60g
- gloss naked carbon frame: should save 100g but vs mltd carbon view paints, i bet limited difference.
- 2024 flat sl shock: -58g
- xx sl transmission: +39g (vs xx1 on demo bike)
- darimo bars pending.
- my stem is slammed, but not cut.
- xtr brakes: note demo bike has 160mm fronts, me 180. +24g plus spacers.
- my front brake line needs shortening.

between the new lighter shock, and slightly heavier group and rotor, it should be a wash. And i am pretty sure my pedals and cage are lighter. But with lighter tires, lighter pedals, skimping on sealant (no idea what he used... maybe his sealant is drying out), lighter saddle... i am only just at 10kg.

Where did I go wrong?

wheels are a big culprit. oquo mp3 ltd wheels. claimed weight: 1350g. actual is 1483g. i did not measure the hubs, rotors or casette but verified r2 bike numbers. Add rim tape... maybe 20g? I still get them at 133g overweight. likely in the rims.

given machined parts are usually pretty accurate for weight... i will also guess that the frame is heavier also.

either way... when my darimo bars go on... it will be lighter still:counteracted by proper sealant levels). so 10kg/22lbs is solid with big tires, 120mm suspension, and a dropper.

It is a beautiful bike, and i need to recover from this cold i have abd just ride it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

a few thoughts: lb wheelset, light rotors, and a rigid darimo post get me to 20.5lbs.

also... squidlock is push to lock now... and the front has a mid setting. so identical to scotts twinlock

snaxez

by snaxez

The clearcoat adds alot of weight compared to matt frame.
Wheels are not that light. Custom PI Rope or Breg wheels would save 200-300g
You can save extra weight if you swap the Transfer SL to light weight carbon post, but that depends on terrain and how much you use the dropper. Might not be worth it.
GEMINI cocpit would save weight as well, but it`s not that stiff and expensive. I put Syncros Fraser IC SL bars on my 2023 Oiz M-Pro.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

snaxez wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:44 pm
The clearcoat adds alot of weight compared to matt frame.
Wheels are not that light. Custom PI Rope or Breg wheels would save 200-300g
You can save extra weight if you swap the Transfer SL to light weight carbon post, but that depends on terrain and how much you use the dropper. Might not be worth it.
GEMINI cocpit would save weight as well, but it`s not that stiff and expensive. I put Syncros Fraser IC SL bars on my 2023 Oiz M-Pro.
interesting on the gloss coat info. had i known i would have gone matte. but it looks great.

typically i dont need a dropper. but my plan was to swap between darimo rigid and an axs dropper based on the days needs. transfer sl is kind of in between, but adds to cable clutter.

aeroskii

by aeroskii

RocketRacing wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:08 am
So my custom orbea oiz m ltd just arrived.
size M
full xx sl transmission (xtr brakes to save weight)
fox transfer sl dropper
120mm suspension with three way switch.
29x30mm id wheels. (with 2.4 maxxis recon race tires)
34 sc fork
new 2024 float sl shock (lighter)
my orbea custom paint - naked gloss carbon. should be good for ~100g savings.

Now, if you look back at promotional articles, there is reference to a sales rep or product manager having a 9.98kg m ltd with pedals and a bottle cage. this is my reference. note he had recon race tires.

out of the box... with recon race tires and tubes... no pedals... 10.4kg. a good 400+ grams heavier than expected. where is the weight from? lets try and find out...

Note: Right now my bike is 10kg on the nose. how did i get there?

- remove tubes: -417g
- swap x2 recon race for racing ralphs:846 +809 vs 725 + 690g. -240g
- 120ml stans: +120g (did half)
- add eggbeater 11 pedals: +178g (note his pedals look like Xpedo CXR Pro TI or similar at ~240g)
- add carbonworks cage: +6g
- swap in berk dila saddle: -60g
- gloss naked carbon frame: should save 100g but vs mltd carbon view paints, i bet limited difference.
- 2024 flat sl shock: -58g
- xx sl transmission: +39g (vs xx1 on demo bike)
- darimo bars pending.
- my stem is slammed, but not cut.
- xtr brakes: note demo bike has 160mm fronts, me 180. +24g plus spacers.
- my front brake line needs shortening.

between the new lighter shock, and slightly heavier group and rotor, it should be a wash. And i am pretty sure my pedals and cage are lighter. But with lighter tires, lighter pedals, skimping on sealant (no idea what he used... maybe his sealant is drying out), lighter saddle... i am only just at 10kg.

Where did I go wrong?

wheels are a big culprit. oquo mp3 ltd wheels. claimed weight: 1350g. actual is 1483g. i did not measure the hubs, rotors or casette but verified r2 bike numbers. Add rim tape... maybe 20g? I still get them at 133g overweight. likely in the rims.

given machined parts are usually pretty accurate for weight... i will also guess that the frame is heavier also.

either way... when my darimo bars go on... it will be lighter still:counteracted by proper sealant levels). so 10kg/22lbs is solid with big tires, 120mm suspension, and a dropper.

It is a beautiful bike, and i need to recover from this cold i have abd just ride it.
those wheels are super heavy
I would go with some Goldix M180sl hubs, berd spokes, Lightbicyle 270g rims (30mm ID), and some alu nips should be 930g~

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

aeroskii wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:54 pm
I would go with some Goldix M180sl hubs, berd spokes, Lightbicyle 270g rims (30mm ID), and some alu nips should be 930g~
i was thinking of the new lb 30mm id rims with 240 hubs. 1100g give or take. 2k cad

aeroskii

by aeroskii

RocketRacing wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:44 pm
aeroskii wrote:
i was thinking of the new lb 30mm id rims with 240 hubs. 1100g give or take. 2k cad
Heavier and more expensive but u don't

Scarpa

by Scarpa

Frame in carbon Raw is really light as you can see here in this instagram posting
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cwr7wWYNj8G/?img_index=5

Also interesting is the final weight of the Oiz.

F45

by F45

aeroskii wrote:
no name knockoff hubs.

F45

by F45

RocketRacing wrote:

The weight is respectable given the travel and real tires. How is that Berk saddle?

Thanks for the report.

aeroskii

by aeroskii

F45 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:50 pm
aeroskii wrote:
no name knockoff hubs.
Whose design are they stealing? They look unique and are a oem for other brands.
I'm referring to these btw:https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtWocgc

aeroskii

by aeroskii

Scarpa wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:37 pm
Frame in carbon Raw is really light as you can see here in this instagram posting
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cwr7wWYNj8G/?img_index=5

Also interesting is the final weight of the Oiz.
Those cranks are crazy

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

F45 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:55 pm
RocketRacing wrote:

The weight is respectable given the travel and real tires. How is that Berk saddle?

Thanks for the report.
i love berk saddles. enough flex for comfort. they are my go to on all bikes.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

9.84kg/21.7lbs right now with ritchy superlogic grips and darimo bars. not bad as it is ready to ride, 120mm suspension, and a dripper. and i only swapped tires, saddle, bars, and grips.

i think the transfer sl post stays. when i need it, it is really nice. might do light 3k carbon wheels.

scant

by scant

I resisted a short travel dropper post for a long time. the time you save on corners, steep or technical downhills & surprising to me, technical climbs, they're worth the added weight... so yes keep the dropper post

did you swap out any steel bolts for alu/ti/nylon as applicable?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com