Light carbon bottle cages that don't eject bottles?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Any suggestions?

bmCube

by bmCube

Arundel mandible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Bontrager XXX are definitely the best ones on the market! 80 USD a piece 17,5g or 33 USD for a pair at 17g from Aliexpress looking exactly like the original except missing serial number (I have both the real and fake ones, cannot tell them apart)

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

TUNE WASSERTRÄGER 2.0 bottle cage with Specialized Purist bottles. 9 grams a piece.

stalkersk

by stalkersk

Elite Leggero Carbon, 17g and supercheap compared to Tune or Arundel

js

by js

I agree with bmCube.

At 28g, the Arundels may not be the lightest, but you'll never, ever lose a bottle. I've had mine for nearly 15 years and they work as they did on day one. Their design offers an opening that's easy to feel and find with the bottom of your bottle and their snug fit has held bottles across Roubaix Cobbles and Alpine off-road descents alike. Never a hint of concern.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I posted mandibles then deleted it as thjs is mtb but yea ive never lost a bottle using them on road including some rather nasty potholes etc

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Hexsense

by Hexsense

On road, I dislike Aruldel Mandible. It's too tight that it deform my Elite Fly bottles. I prefer Arundel Dave-O which has gentler grip.

But Mandible's tight deadgrip might be appropriate for MTB. Still, I haven't lost a bottle on MTB using my Arundel Dave-O.

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

I use Mandibles on road and for mtb. I use them with both Elite Jet and Specialized Purist style bottles.

No problems at all. I have tried others and always come back to the Mandible.

What I like about Mandibles is they grip well but I do not have to think about putting them in. On cages like the carbon works I struggled with inserting bottles at certain angles. I don't wanna think about that while riding.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've had two sets of XXX bottle cages, one legit one knockoff. The knockoffs started ejecting bottles much sooner than the legit ones (both Camelbak and Polar insulated bottles). The problem is that they easily deform because they lack a support ridge in the back. I've recently switched over to a knock off of the RXL cages in bare carbon, and they hold the bottles very securely. I bought them off eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152699648075

davidnoe

by davidnoe

Giant Airway Lite Carbon - work great for me, subtle looks.

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

VOXOM Bottle Cage FH12 Carbon is superlight and held my Specialized made bottles very well without any issues for road or offroad.

SunsetRider

by SunsetRider

I use Blackburn Camber CF cages and have never had my previous generation Camelbak come out. At 30g they aren't the lightest but hold well and have lasted for years.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

I sometimes use my Primus thermos bottle which is a little bigger than a standard bottle and could fall out but now I added a strip of friction tape, used on staircases and boat decks and it stays in the holder over any bump.

2023-11-08 10.15.22.jpg
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

eucalyptus wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:57 am
Bontrager XXX are definitely the best ones on the market! 80 USD a piece 17,5g or 33 USD for a pair at 17g from Aliexpress looking exactly like the original except missing serial number (I have both the real and fake ones, cannot tell them apart)
After riding couple of:

elite rocko
tune wassertrager
specialized rib cage

And having my friends cracking topeak feza or their lookalikes

I have to admit that I stuck with Bontrager XXX and I am really happy with them. I had a pair of the original ones in 3k design, and then I needed another set for my other bike, so I gave a try to aliexpress ones in UD design, and I have to admit that they are totally the same quality and ordered another set for my mtb too. So now i have 1 original pair and 2 replica pairs in my household.

- 17g
- never dropped a bottle (the only drop of bottle was on my mtb crash when my knee kicked the bottle out)
- comfort of removing and inserting the bottle
- you can insert and remove the bottle from very wide range of angles!
- 20 eur / pair
- aesthetically pleasing design
- acceptable scratch rate of bottles

I am riding them on my mtb + road. On my spark I have really low seat tube, and I am still able to swap bottle with downtube bottle when It's empty.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p