Light carbon bottle cages that don't eject bottles?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

What about the ones from Topeak that Nico uses? Has anyone here actually used them? How are they?

hannawald

by hannawald

JayDee81 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:46 am
Choosing between Elite Leggero and the new T-race carbon for my new mtb. Previously had Cannibal XC cages I was mostly happy with but had some ejections last season. I know the carbon cages fit firmly compared to the FRP ones which is partly why I am going for carbon ones this time. Also need to partly insert from the side as is typical on 2 bottle FS frames which is why I am unsure about the T-Race. Anyone has experience with them yet? Thanks.
Elite Leggero is not particularly good for small FS frames. I tried them and they need quite a lot of upward extraction. I think you need a bottle cage with side extraction or at least it has two wings holding the bottle from sides and not a full closed circle as Leggero. Elite bottles are quite soft so if there is a hole between the wings holding the bottle from sides you can push it through slightly...out of these 2 I would bet T-Race is better for smaller frames than Leggero.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JayDee81

by JayDee81

hannawald wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:08 pm
JayDee81 wrote:
Choosing between Elite Leggero and the new T-race carbon for my new mtb. Previously had Cannibal XC cages I was mostly happy with but had some ejections last season. I know the carbon cages fit firmly compared to the FRP ones which is partly why I am going for carbon ones this time. Also need to partly insert from the side as is typical on 2 bottle FS frames which is why I am unsure about the T-Race. Anyone has experience with them yet? Thanks.
Elite Leggero is not particularly good for small FS frames. I tried them and they need quite a lot of upward extraction. I think you need a bottle cage with side extraction or at least it has two wings holding the bottle from sides and not a full closed circle as Leggero. Elite bottles are quite soft so if there is a hole between the wings holding the bottle from sides you can push it through slightly...out of these 2 I would bet T-Race is better for smaller frames than Leggero.
I suppose you have on hand experience with them? I thought the Leggero would actually be better for this given it's the one more similar to the Cannibal XC which worked good for me regarding insertion. I don't want to go with the Rocko though because of the weight.

themidge

by themidge

Arundel make side loading versions of the Mandible and Dave-O, have never felt in any danger of losing even big 750ml bottles on my hardtail using the SideLoader cages.

rukomasa

by rukomasa

recently I found Merida Aero cage is very good for its looks, weight (19g), and holding. Especially it allows insert or pick the bottle diagonal, useful with frame bag. It looks a bit too thin, but I am using almost a year for my gravel bike for trail riding.

Not only merida, there's a lot of OEM with cheaper price. Some of them comes with a tool which is not very good. Still help in case of emergency if you like. Mostly 10 to 15USD.

https://www.amazon.ae/Lightweight-Holde ... B09CD9PWP5
https://meridaph.com/products/bottle-ca ... lack-black
https://a.co/d/eWZ7bUl

hannawald

by hannawald

JayDee81 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:28 pm
hannawald wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:08 pm
JayDee81 wrote:
I suppose you have on hand experience with them? I thought the Leggero would actually be better for this given it's the one more similar to the Cannibal XC which worked good for me regarding insertion. I don't want to go with the Rocko though because of the weight.
yes, I have them on my road bike so I quickly tried them on my mtb whether I should choose the same cages but it was clearly obvious they wouldn´t work. Still not sure what I will choose.

elzilcho

by elzilcho

I'm running these on three bikes (mountain, gravel, and road) without a single ejected bottle, and that's using 750mL Camelbak Podium Chill bottles. I appreciate the side entry with the larger bottles as well. Not super weightweenie at 24g each, but certainly lighter than may others.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804282957731.html