Light carbon bottle cages that don't eject bottles?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

What about the ones from Topeak that Nico uses? Has anyone here actually used them? How are they?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

JayDee81 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:46 am
Choosing between Elite Leggero and the new T-race carbon for my new mtb. Previously had Cannibal XC cages I was mostly happy with but had some ejections last season. I know the carbon cages fit firmly compared to the FRP ones which is partly why I am going for carbon ones this time. Also need to partly insert from the side as is typical on 2 bottle FS frames which is why I am unsure about the T-Race. Anyone has experience with them yet? Thanks.
Elite Leggero is not particularly good for small FS frames. I tried them and they need quite a lot of upward extraction. I think you need a bottle cage with side extraction or at least it has two wings holding the bottle from sides and not a full closed circle as Leggero. Elite bottles are quite soft so if there is a hole between the wings holding the bottle from sides you can push it through slightly...out of these 2 I would bet T-Race is better for smaller frames than Leggero.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

hannawald wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:08 pm
JayDee81 wrote:
Choosing between Elite Leggero and the new T-race carbon for my new mtb. Previously had Cannibal XC cages I was mostly happy with but had some ejections last season. I know the carbon cages fit firmly compared to the FRP ones which is partly why I am going for carbon ones this time. Also need to partly insert from the side as is typical on 2 bottle FS frames which is why I am unsure about the T-Race. Anyone has experience with them yet? Thanks.
Elite Leggero is not particularly good for small FS frames. I tried them and they need quite a lot of upward extraction. I think you need a bottle cage with side extraction or at least it has two wings holding the bottle from sides and not a full closed circle as Leggero. Elite bottles are quite soft so if there is a hole between the wings holding the bottle from sides you can push it through slightly...out of these 2 I would bet T-Race is better for smaller frames than Leggero.
I suppose you have on hand experience with them? I thought the Leggero would actually be better for this given it's the one more similar to the Cannibal XC which worked good for me regarding insertion. I don't want to go with the Rocko though because of the weight.

themidge

by themidge

Arundel make side loading versions of the Mandible and Dave-O, have never felt in any danger of losing even big 750ml bottles on my hardtail using the SideLoader cages.

rukomasa

by rukomasa

recently I found Merida Aero cage is very good for its looks, weight (19g), and holding. Especially it allows insert or pick the bottle diagonal, useful with frame bag. It looks a bit too thin, but I am using almost a year for my gravel bike for trail riding.

Not only merida, there's a lot of OEM with cheaper price. Some of them comes with a tool which is not very good. Still help in case of emergency if you like. Mostly 10 to 15USD.

https://www.amazon.ae/Lightweight-Holde ... B09CD9PWP5
https://meridaph.com/products/bottle-ca ... lack-black
https://a.co/d/eWZ7bUl

hannawald

by hannawald

JayDee81 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:28 pm
hannawald wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:08 pm
JayDee81 wrote:
I suppose you have on hand experience with them? I thought the Leggero would actually be better for this given it's the one more similar to the Cannibal XC which worked good for me regarding insertion. I don't want to go with the Rocko though because of the weight.
yes, I have them on my road bike so I quickly tried them on my mtb whether I should choose the same cages but it was clearly obvious they wouldn´t work. Still not sure what I will choose.

elzilcho

by elzilcho

I'm running these on three bikes (mountain, gravel, and road) without a single ejected bottle, and that's using 750mL Camelbak Podium Chill bottles. I appreciate the side entry with the larger bottles as well. Not super weightweenie at 24g each, but certainly lighter than may others.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804282957731.html