New s-works mtb/cyclocross shoes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Marie Schrieber is wearing what looks to be a variation of the s-works Recon's with stud mounts. Hopefully they have a little more rubber on the bottom too. After a closer look the lugs at the front are completely new so potentially an all new bottom with the Recon upper.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-23 150244.png
Screenshot 2023-10-23 150740.png
sworks shoes.png

boots2000

by boots2000

To me they look like modifed Torch road shoes. I see many riders doing this in the gravel space. I just ordered a pair of Specialized Torch in order to try the same thing-

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alfus

by Alfus

boots2000 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:20 pm
To me they look like modifed Torch road shoes. I see many riders doing this in the gravel space. I just ordered a pair of Specialized Torch in order to try the same thing-
How you put spikes in a road shoe?

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Drill a hole, put in a blind-rivet nut, screw in studs.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

boots2000 wrote:
Maybe a modified Recon, but I don't see why you would use the Torch as the starting shoe. You'd have to modify it for 2-bolt cleats as well. And it looks to have lugs at the toe and around the cleat.

Mirco

by Mirco

boots2000 wrote:
Gravel is not Cyclocross

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Mirco wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:33 pm
boots2000 wrote:
To me they look like modifed Torch road shoes. I see many riders doing this in the gravel space.
Gravel is not Cyclocross
Okay, sure—but that's only true in the same way that Jean-Claude Van Damme is not Dolph Lundgren.

Yes, they're different, but there's a TON of overlap, and non-enthusiasts often confuse the two.

But that's not what's happened here: cyclocross racers have been modifying road shoes since at least 1985, according to this history of Adidas cycling shoes. To wit:
1985: Special Cyclo Cross
Double world champion Klaus-Peter Thaler helped develop these curious boots, presumably for use in muddy conditions only. Adidas took the upper from their successful Walter Röhrl rallying shoe, added a trail-running rubber profile to the standard Eddy Merckx sole, and finished off with a lace cover to keep out the worst of the mud. “A strange mix,” says Herde, “but it worked very well.”
Thaler was hardly alone. Here's a photo of the soles of NOS Detto Pietro cross shoes "from the '80s", according to this for-sale posting:
IMG_4116.jpeg
If we're talking cowbells and frites vs Dirty Kanza, sure--there are nontrivial differences in gear, topography and culture.

With the shoes? Not so much.

boots2000

by boots2000

Blow up the pictures where you can somewhat see the bottom of the shoe.
There is not much tred on there and most of the sole looks like a road shoe.
It would be easy to drill holes and add t-nuts for the spikes and also for the 2 bolt cleat. It would be even easier to addan adotor like either of these-

https://www.rei.com/product/135149/shim ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://www.jensonusa.com/Xpedo-XPR-Ada ... 98QAvD_BwE

BikeTyson wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:47 am
boots2000 wrote:
Maybe a modified Recon, but I don't see why you would use the Torch as the starting shoe. You'd have to modify it for 2-bolt cleats as well. And it looks to have lugs at the toe and around the cleat.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

boots2000 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:44 pm
Blow up the pictures where you can somewhat see the bottom of the shoe.
There is not much tred on there and most of the sole looks like a road shoe.
It would be easy to drill holes and add t-nuts for the spikes and also for the 2 bolt cleat. It would be even easier to addan adotor like either of these-

https://www.rei.com/product/135149/shim ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://www.jensonusa.com/Xpedo-XPR-Ada ... 98QAvD_BwE

BikeTyson wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:47 am
boots2000 wrote:
Just seems like extra work for not much gain. You either take the Recon and just add studs. Or you take the Torch, and add studs, plus add tread, plus figure out a 3 bolt to 2 bolt adaptor. I'm not sure what the benefit of starting with the Torch would be.

Mirco

by Mirco

Sorry, but an SD-Worx Rider sponsored by Specialized would not modify an S-Works Road shoe to ride cyclocross.

This shoe is an prototype or an this might be more the case, just the recent Recon with a different bigger Specialized Label on the side , to represent the sponsor.

Mirco

by Mirco

Mirco wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:17 am
Sorry, but an SD-Worx Rider sponsored by Specialized would not modify an S-Works Road shoe to ride cyclocross.

This shoe is an prototype or and this might be more the case, just the recent Recon with a different bigger Specialized Label on the side , to represent the sponsor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com