Let's talk Down Country components (light but tough)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zscs

by zscs

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:38 pm
Some note from quick glance.

1) Weight not including oil and hose.
Add at least 60g+ to hose and oil weight when comparing to other brake systems.
So let say it's 318+60g for the set. That's about 189g per side. XTR 2 piston is 194 per side. So it's still cheaper and lighter.
2) Brake lever is not carbon fiber. That part can get cold to touch when it's cold outside.
Normally alu lever is much heavier than carbon fiber. So that leave some room to upgrade later though.
Yep, came to the very same conclusions actually, including the weights without brake hoses (maybe also without the connection hardware on the hoses?).

I ride my bikes in cold winter days as well, used to change my old Piccola brakes (alu lever) to a spare MT8 SL set.
Nevertheless, this brake set looks interesting, would be cool to read some riding impressions about them and also some short/mid-term review. I remember when Magishine lamps came out (they copied it from Lupine), 1st versions were quite problematic but after a year or so got much more reliable. ;)

Oh, started to work on a new MT8 Pro brake set. Already replaced the alu levers to carbon levers, screws are Ti screws, clamps are the carbon ones also. And the brake pads are the ~11g Trickstuff 830 Power-A (alu plate).
I wanted to order aftermarket Ti-parts for this brake set but for now, I let it run in this form first. Only 228g for the pair with uncut hoses (2200mm, both), that's quite OK-ish I guess. ;)

DanW

by DanW

Did that work out cheaper than just buying the MT8SL from R2 or other where they are on offer?

I found the Trickstuff pads (tried all compounds) with Trickstuff rotors to be very noisy. Braking wasn't really any different from Magura pads but more expensive. You also have to use the small spring as they obviously don't hold in to the magnetic parts of the piston/ caliper. I get through pads quite quickly so couldn't live with the noise or justify the cost.

Ti pad pin bolts on Magura brakes are nice too. The Alu will be fractions of a g lighter but it looks better and is one less crappy Alu part guaranteed to brake when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere :)

I like my Magura MT8 Pro (also tuned), so have gone for the MT Trail SL for hopefully better braking on the front for very few added g's

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zscs

by zscs

Magura pads are really good, I absolutely agree. Used to use the 7.P, those are my favourites. Brake force maybe not the best but not that noisy, it's a kind of good compromise. I bought the Trickstuff ones now,because 428g shows more attractivity than ~450g. :D
MT8 SL set is offered at a good price at R2, but I like the shiny silver brake caliper more, that's why I decided to buy the Pro version. I had some of the tuning parts already, so I didn't have to buy e.g. the carbolay clamps and the Ti screws. Bought the carbon levers on a good price from Bike24.de, at the end I spent approximately the same price like price of an MT8 SL without the Ti bolts.

The MT trail is superb! I have an MT7 on my trail bike, brake force is brutal. :)

DanW

by DanW

All good logic and I guess you have what works for you best at the end of the day so good job :thumbup:

I'm excited to try the MT Trail SL. It seems like the perfect "downcountry" bike part.

I'm also debating going back to mechanical 11 speed XX1 since I already have it and there's of course the nice weight saving.

aeroskii

by aeroskii

zscs wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:21 pm
Not wheelset but brake set theme. Have you seen this Trickstuff Piccola 'copy'? For ~265 USD for a set it's pretty bargain, compared to the original's ~1100+ EUR price. (: https://www.lewisbike.com/disc-brakes-lv2.html
I got some scale shots, 412g+20g in pads isn't great

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

DanW wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:20 am
I already have a Garbaruk cassette, mainly because my LBS already had one in stock and did a deal on it for me. It works OK but I feel it lacks a bit of crispness. I haven't tried a 12spd SRAM cassette to compare, but at least compared to an XX1 11spd it feels a bit "soft" in th shifts. Maybe it is all in my head though!
Been running a Gabaruk cassette with AXS on my gravel bike for 2 years and it shifts every bit as good as the SRAM on my other bike. Would not hesitate to purchase again and I'm REALLY picky.

zscs

by zscs

aeroskii wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:02 pm

Thanks for the info! :thumbup: I agree, this is much less temptating.

Intend (ex-Trickstuff guy's brand) has an another trail/enduro brake set offer: https://www.intend-bc.com/products/trinity/

...on the scale w/ 85mm brake hose: https://gewichte.mtb-news.de/product-18 ... se-trinity

Would be nice to see a 2-piston version from this. ;)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

That Intend brake weight get close to a full on best well known trail/enduro brake available (Hayes Dominion T4) at 257g per lever.
Hayes also have Hayes Dominion T2 2 piston caliper but it save only 3 grams per caliper (254g vs 257g).
At that point, just take the full size one.

If Enduro brake can weight 257 grams per lever. XC mustn't be more than 220g per lever to justify the loss in power.

aeroskii

by aeroskii

zscs wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:03 am
aeroskii wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:02 pm

Thanks for the info! :thumbup: I agree, this is much less temptating.

Intend (ex-Trickstuff guy's brand) has an another trail/enduro brake set offer: https://www.intend-bc.com/products/trinity/

...on the scale w/ 85mm brake hose: https://gewichte.mtb-news.de/product-18 ... se-trinity

Would be nice to see a 2-piston version from this. ;)
good weight for a 4 pot but super expensive
im on a set of zrace brakes and they are 409g with aluminum pads

aeroskii

by aeroskii

OnTheRivet wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:27 pm
DanW wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:20 am
I already have a Garbaruk cassette, mainly because my LBS already had one in stock and did a deal on it for me. It works OK but I feel it lacks a bit of crispness. I haven't tried a 12spd SRAM cassette to compare, but at least compared to an XX1 11spd it feels a bit "soft" in th shifts. Maybe it is all in my head though!
Been running a Gabaruk cassette with AXS on my gravel bike for 2 years and it shifts every bit as good as the SRAM on my other bike. Would not hesitate to purchase again and I'm REALLY picky.
from what I have heard they have some qa/qc issues
I don't use their cassettes personally because my sram ones are lighter so what im saying is hearsay

DanW

by DanW

I decided to buy Roval Control 29 wheel set in the end. My logic was; they are the same rims as the Control SL but 28h vs 24h, they seem bombproof for a 350g rim and reasonable value. Even though they aren't the lightest the DT Swiss 350 hubs and DT Competition spokes could be switched out at a later date.

Bad news for a WW is they came out more than 1500g for the pair (rim strip, no valves). I'll be returning them as there are dozens of wheels that could be built at that weight for way less money or same money and durability for way less weight. It is less than 100g over the claimed weight but something about 15xx g is a mental threshold for WW happiness :oops: :lol:

aeroskii

by aeroskii

DanW wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:55 am
I decided to buy Roval Control 29 wheel set in the end. My logic was; they are the same rims as the Control SL but 28h vs 24h, they seem bombproof for a 350g rim and reasonable value. Even though they aren't the lightest the DT Swiss 350 hubs and DT Competition spokes could be switched out at a later date.

Bad news for a WW is they came out more than 1500g for the pair (rim strip, no valves). I'll be returning them as there are dozens of wheels that could be built at that weight for way less money or same money and durability for way less weight. It is less than 100g over the claimed weight but something about 15xx g is a mental threshold for WW happiness :oops: :lol:
maybe custom build. goldix has a hubset at sub 240g and light bicycle 270g rims. should be around 1100g with aerolites and sub 1kg with berd :D

DanW

by DanW

Maybe on an XC bike that gets ridden sparingly. I can't get my head around 270g rims for a bike that will be smashed down descents and hit the odd gap and drop (hence the horrible down country in the title).

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

DanW wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:55 am
Even though they aren't the lightest the DT Swiss 350 hubs and DT Competition spokes could be switched out at a later date.
Eh, seems counterintuitive cost wise to upgrade them compared to your earlier comments/concerns, no?

Just use them as they are.

DanW

by DanW

^ It was more a hypothetical that if I really wanted, and some light hubs came up cheap, there was the potential for a lighter build off solid rims.

Anyway, I'm sending them back and starting again. I also hadn't appreciated the angular, trapezoid shape of the Roval Control rims which I'm not such a fan of. Plus the weight on my set was a disappointment.

Anyway, for a more robust XC wheel (the silly D word), I reckon I'm down to:

Hubs:
DT Swiss 240 straight pull
Carbon Ti straight pull

Rims:
Roval Control (~360g)
Bontrager Kovee Pro or RSL (~350g)
Reserve 28 (~380g)
Duke Crazy Jack?

There aren't too many hubs lighter than Carbon Ti and I'm not buying Extralite after an issue where they were surprised their products were used in mud and told me everything should be disassembled and left off for winter.

In terms of rims, I can get the new Bontrager Kovee RSL for £400 and I've used the previous Kovee rims and they've been perfect. Problem is 24h only (Reserve 28 also in the LBS for a good deal and also 24h) and there aren't many 24h hubs. Carbon Ti the only real option and there's a wait for those. I think I just have to be patient to get what I want (light, durable and better value than R2 or factory wheel builds)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com