Let's talk Down Country components (light but tough)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hexsense

by Hexsense

JaeOne3345 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:08 pm
You already tried the Bike Yoke? My bike yoke has been flawless. Easy lever actuation and perfect function.

I trashed the included cable and housing and used Shimano MTB Optislik cable/housing. Butter.
The cable I use with Divine SL and have bad experience with is Optislick.
Shimano housing is actually particularly bad fit with Divine SL because the outside of the housing is rubbery/grippy so it grab the frame inner cable guide harder. I believe Shimano always design the housing to stay in place with only inner cable move.
Which isn't the case with Divine SL where it move outer cable housing but inner cable stay still.
For Divine SL, reduce friction between frame internal cable guide and cable housing is the key to get it to work well.

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

I had the completely opposite experience. Installed using the optislik outer/inner using the same exact routing path and no issues at all. You must have some crazy internal routing path on your frame. I am using 300psi with the alpha triggy and the lever action is super easy/smooth.

I'll keep your experiences in mind if anyone I ride with develops issues, but don't see myself ever moving away from the Divine SL for now unless I get to try something better. I enjoy the intermediate position ability that the transfer sl doesn't provide, but I understand it isn't for everyone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

DanW wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:32 pm
I think you are missing the point of the Smuggler to worry about a 80g vs 110g stem or putting Darimo bar on, but that is just my opinion. I'd be looking at a light but not scary light stem and ~200g carbon bars or ~300g alu bars (if you crash a lot) rated for riding hard. I'd want the Smuggler to take some significant drops and maybe more imprtantly, crashes, without worrying about components.
No I am basically in the same camp. I was planning on using an aluminum stem and some OneUp or WeAreOne enduro style bars but was curious for people's experiences with the ultralight stuff. Sometimes, as in the case of the darimo seatposts, the design of the lighter products actually results in better functionality and weight. Generally speaking, if I crash on carbon bars, I will normally replace them so I start every bike with aluminum until I get comfortable with the handling. I learned once the hard way that carbon can look fine but be structurally destroyed with impacts.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8