tpu inner tube for mtb

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Seph

by Seph

i'am using the tpu tubes on my roadbike and they works fine.
i was wondering is the puncture resistance can be a good or better than tubeless.

has anyone tested yet?
or the tubeless setup is the tier god upgrade with no contenders?

JayDee81

by JayDee81

For mtb use tubeless is the way to go. It's just too much of an upgrade. That is if you ride real terrain where you need grip. If you ride on wide forest roads and occasional flow trail you don't need to go tubeless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maurice1

by maurice1

JayDee81 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:40 pm
For mtb use tubeless is the way to go. It's just too much of an upgrade. That is if you ride real terrain where you need grip. If you ride on wide forest roads and occasional flow trail you don't need to go tubeless.
What about as a backup if tubeless fails? (wise) Roadies keep tubes even when using tubeless. Is that not a thing for mountainbikers? Is tubeless plan A, B and C?

js

by js

At this point, I only bring a tube with me for a major event.

In ten years of riding tubeless, there's only been one time that I've needed to put a tube in. Every other issue I've had has been able to seal - either with sealant alone, or with a bacon strip.

As a result, no back-up tubes on normal rides for me, as I'm happy to accept the very low risk of walking back home or back to my car if things go horribly wrong. If I've spent big money or lots of travel training for a race, I'll bring a back-up, but that's it.

And to be fair, having a TPU tube that took up half the space and weight would be nice then.

Seph

by Seph

thanks for the reply.
Also regarding maurice question, i always carry a spare tube and in some events was a ride-saver!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JayDee81

by JayDee81

I am carrying a spare tubolito but the one time I actually needed it the problem was destroyed rim tape not a puncture (low speed blow-off resulting in torn tape). When I get to finally buy some hidden storage tools I won't be carrying the small bag under the saddle and therefore a spare tube. Very rare you'd need it and in that case it might happen that you have something stuck in your tire anyway (no problem when tubeless) and the tube gets punctured immediatelly.