Innerbar ends?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Talking about the SQLab or Spigrips. Anyone that has used these? What are your experiences with them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nicporter

by nicporter

I tried the SQ labs - found them okay but quite large

I also tried the TOGS ones and felt they were slightly better

DanW

by DanW

TOGGS are the best I tried. I didn't stay with them in the end as they offered very little more than just resting hands on the brake lever or similar. You can't really generate any power holding on to them but it gives you an easy to find hand position. They aren't very expensive so a cheap experiment at the worst

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I am not talking about toggs which have a different purpose

Primera23

by Primera23

I'm using the spirgrips on my 7kg rigid hardtail. It's fitted with 40mm gravel tires. So basically it's a gravelbike with MTB bar. I really like the grips because they let me change the position of my hands and counters fatigue. Also provides a more aero position. I use them automatically on every straight section. It's kinda like riding on your hoods on a race bike. I have them fitted so that my palms also rest a bit on my brakes and I can use my fingers on the outside of my hand to touch my brakes if needed even from the grips. Only "drawback" is that the grips are still a bit small (I don't have big hands). Ideally they would be a bit bigger (like the bar ends from back in the 26"days) but overall I'm quite satisfied with them. They add a bit of weight but wouldn't take them off to gain 100g.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I ordered the latest version from SQLab, they only weigh 60g. They seem great to switch up my hand positions during marathons. Also found out they are banned in uci xc marathon’s.

gravelginger77

by gravelginger77

I am using these, they are great for climbing on those steady grades and dont get in the way on the descents.

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/clo ... 38387244/p

DanW

by DanW

robbosmans wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:49 pm
I am not talking about toggs which have a different purpose
Another poster and myself tried a few diffferent inner bar ends and gave the option TOGGS work best. But that is of course just an opinion.

The larger inner bar ends can't really be used how you think they will be on a moderm geo MTB IMO. They are not at all like being on the hoods of a road bike IMO. By all means give them a go, but MTB geometry bikes don't lend themselves to these inner bar end being usable how you may think IMO.

The TOGGS work better because the only really useful different hand position with inner bar ends is palms flat on the bar top. The TOGGS are small but make that position that bit more secure (e.g. trying to get a bit more aero) and comfortable.

Since none of them are UCI legal, you can look to the Bikepacking world for inspiration for no UCI races:
https://bikepacking.com/gear/adding-alt ... flat-bars/

I can't find the link quickly but there is an amazing page rounding up all the more aero hand/ arm position gear available for MTBs. Think Tour Divide level comfort and aero. Quite a few options add suprisingly little weight.
Last edited by DanW on Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Togs are just to move your thumbs to the top of the bars, with these I am able to rotate my whole wrist. I am going to give them a shot this weekend in a xc marathon.

DanW

by DanW

Well aware what they all are as I tried a load :)

I still felt the only other hand position I wanted to get in was hooking thumbs and having palms flat on the top of the bars. TOGGS do that better, but it is still marginal extra comfort at best vs no inner bar ends.

Really varying hand and body position needs something more ahead of the stem and more forearm support IMO. Again, see more Tour Divide style bikes for inspiration.

You may well enjoy them. To get the most out of the experiment try and figure out exactly what different hand positions you want to acheive in advance of a big ride as the angle makes a huge difference

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheBelgian

by TheBelgian

I'm running Spirgrips on my bikes, and pretty happy with them. I now use the carbon fibre ones without the "comfort" inserts. I don't miss the inserts, and it's only 61g.