XX1 mech vs GX AXS

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

freepk wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:51 pm
@DanW, there are small knob in metal plates of pulleys, you have to remove it ) Nothing special, just few minutes of work )
XX1 pulleys does not have this knobs.
What needs to be removed?

Excuse my ignorance with another question :) Should a 12 speed SRAM chain be ok on my existing NW chain ring? SRAM says no to some 11 speed chainrings and the one I have from Works Components doesn't list 12 speed on the compatability list but I'm not sure how the chain inner width or other difference should mean a 12 speed SRAM chain can't work on a "regular" 11 speed NW chain ring. Aren't bikes simple and straight forward? :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

freepk

by freepk

@DanW
I dont remeber what exactly but there are some problem with this plates and Garbaruk cage.

I'm not at home atm and cant look at derailleur. Then you try to install pulleys you will see the problem :)

Old 11spd NW rings works fine with 12spd chains :)

DanW

by DanW

Amazing, thank you so much for all of this.

I have ordered GX AXS and Reverb AXS today so look forward to having a play :)

I am looking to order the Ratio Components cgae as it looks a similar weight to Garburuk but less money:
https://ratiotechnology.com/product/sr5 ... leur-cage/

Deciding factor will be if they can do one without logos ;)

Talking of which, has anyone had any luck removing the "GX" logos from the shifter and rear mech?

Danyutz

by Danyutz

Just crash on the right side a couple of times, the logos will be removed for free at a cost of some scrapes and scratches :lol:

jokes aside, did you find a good deal on the GX AXS?

Danyutz

by Danyutz

It's been at slightly under 400eu mark for a while - bikediscount has it even cheaper than r2

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/sram-gx ... pgrade-kit

I was hoping for slightly less with the launch of the new XX models - might wait a bit

DanW

by DanW

Depends where you, are but Probikekit with easily Googleable voucher codes is usually a safe bet for cheapest GX. In my case my LBS priced matched against that.

Some quick ideas on lighter, better value SRAM AXS...

Garbaruk cassette is in place for me and seems the easy choice for quality, value and lighter than 12 speed XX1 weight.

XO chain is 2/3 the price of XX1 and seems to be lighter compared to XX1 by a few g's, only lacking an aesthetic colourful final coating and otherwise being the same.

Loads of chainrings drop some g's and are cheaper than SRAM. I'm using Works Components for the best balance of quality, weight and value I have found.

I will keep looking in to the best g/£ weight loss on the GX AXS mech. I am trying to find the XX1 inner and outer cages as spare parts to maybe lose even more than Garbaruk for similar money but no luck on finding both. Garbaruk/ Ratio seems like the only real value option for eating in to that 460g rear mech weight :) Definitely better than buying X01/ XX1 rear mech though for AXS

Any thoughts on jockey wheels which drop some g's for not too much money?

Danyutz

by Danyutz

I'm in the same boat with the transmission. I have the following in my wishlist for this year: GX AXS with Garbaruk cage, Garbaruk 10-52 casette and would like to change something about the crankset, at least some carbon X01 arms, not sure yet.

DanW

by DanW

SRAM X01/ XX1 cranks are a really solid, light option. There is usually some kind of variation on sale for around £200. I bought a version with undesirable graphics which must have put them in the sale, then just covered the arms with matte black vinyl.

I have to say, early impressions is that the ergonomics on the standard shifter paddle is pretty poor. I'll give it a few rides but probably swap for either the updated SRAM paddle or the AD Biking Quickshift paddle.

Sbabadi

by Sbabadi

Just to let everyone know... I couldnt find the weight of the mechanical GX cage anywhere online. It is way lighter than the AXS above so there is minimal saving over Garbaruk or similar ones.
Hope this can help someone who is considering swapping!
Attachments
IMG_3729.jpeg

Hexsense

by Hexsense

DanW wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:04 pm
I have to say, early impressions is that the ergonomics on the standard shifter paddle is pretty poor. I'll give it a few rides but probably swap for either the updated SRAM paddle or the AD Biking Quickshift paddle.
I vote Leap Quickshift. It require the least amount of thumb movement from standard hand grip position to shift so far.
https://leapcomponents.com/product/quickshift/

To shift, I just move the thumb downward and press the button. Don't have to navigate the thumb around the paddle into a horizontal position like most other button types. It require a low amount of force to shift as well. Can be too low for some people to accidentally shift on bumpy road if they keep the thumb on the button.
PXL_20231004_164634464.jpg

zscs

by zscs

After couple of weeks of using, I can tell you some words about Leap's On-bar Blip mount shifters. https://leapcomponents.com/product/on-bar-blip-mount/

During the first ride, the placement of the shifters felt a bit uncomfortable, however, during the 2nd ride felt it better. But I was not so satisfied with it, to be honest. I almost removed it from the bike...
But! When I went out 3rd time for doing some KOM hunting, everything has been changed suddenly. :) Somehow I got used to it and also during all-outs, turned out this kind of shifter placement cannot be more convenient and logical. You know, when all the O2 stuff goes to your legs instead of your brain, you cannot really focus on the small things. ;)
I absolutely love it, I'm a big fan of these blip based shifters now.

Pros:
+ same fast and crispy shifts like in case of the AXS controller
+ after configuring it up, you can remove your bulky AXS controller and put aside
+ like on a road eTap or AXS, left shifter shifts upwards, right one downwards (however, you can configure it in the opposite way as well (-: )
+ great aesthetics and clean looking handlebar
+ superlight - 24 grams only!

Cons:
- no big force required for pressing the buttons, therefore you can do accidental shifts
- installing the Leap grips may require some patience, even by using the install tool they provided
- no idea about the REAL lifetime of the (non-replaceable) batteries / no info about the blips' battery status (AXS app might help, but we'll see)

I hope this info will be useful to you.

Last edited by zscs on Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Those blips batteries aren't replacable or rechargable, right?

DanW

by DanW

Correct. Expensive shifters that are worthless when the battery runs out.
I vote Leap Quickshift. It require the least amount of thumb movement from standard hand grip position to shift so far.
AD-Biking and Leap are the same thing :) I have used these for a few months now and agree they are a big upgrade on the stock paddles.

zscs

by zscs

DanW wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:28 pm
Correct. Expensive shifters that are worthless when the battery runs out.
Cannot agree more. Still, I like it! :)
I do really hope that, SRAM will add twose 3-4 grams for changeable batteries. Or, in a world of wireless charging, I hardly can believe there's no anternative.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com