Looking for help! DT Swiss rear hub / warranty issue

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gravelginger77

by gravelginger77

hi everyone, so i purchased a brand new BMC fourstroke from a large bike shop in the US last year. recently i have discovered that the rear hub (370 model) that is 6 bolt brake type has 4 bolts that have been completely overtightened and stripped in the hub. I began a warranty through the bikeshop but the whole experience has left a very sour taste in my mouth with the customer service. DT Swiss have also now just said they will not honor the warranty and said it is user error (i have never touched these bolts). The bike shop didn't push back nor offer anything further, they also said all labor is not included in the warranty which I cant get my head around.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue on the rear hub? or any advice on how to handle the bikeshop / warranty?

djbowen99

by djbowen99

Unfortunetly that's not a warranty issue so your probably going to be SOL here. The bikeshop likely didn't install the rotor as those at least from what i have seen are mounted in the box and not part of bike shop assembly ( Unless they went over the whole bike checking torque) It likely happened when the bike was built for distribution. If your craft and willing to lose the disc it's possible to get it off, i would think whoever you got the bike from would assist with that but depends on the shop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Not DT's fault if the bolts were overtightened.

Got a picture of it? Did they strip the threads in the hub or just broke as common with ti-bolts tightened too hard?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Sounds like your claim should be against the shop that last worked on the brake/hub. DT Swiss are under no obligation to make this good if it is down to shoddy service by a mechanic. You may have better luck with the BMC dealer who could try warranty with them.

Sulliesbrew

by Sulliesbrew

If you are working with my local BMC dealer, good luck... They bought out my LBS as the dealer for BMC and it was ugly. Now I need to find a bike to replace my two stroke...

Agreed with others though, this is a shop issue, not DT or BMC.
Pactimo Brand Ambassador, ask me about a Promo code