Light, longer distance race bike :)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

I posted this elsewhere, but in light of the above lack of inspiration I would like to propose a new bike category

DADCOUNTRY (MUMCOUNTRY also available)

DADCOUNTRY bike should have a slacker than 66 degree HTA, long wheelbase (long reach and longer rather than shorter chainstays) and a STA which doesn’t put you over the back wheel. There is no reason why good all around handling should restricted to heavy, sofa like long travel bikes.

A DADCOUNTRY bike should have enough suspension travel to flatter you when you are riding like a sack of spuds after a 60 hour week, but have a good enough pedaling platform and be light enough to make you feel like a hero in the rare week when the kids actually let you get some sleep.

A DADCOUNTRY bike should have no weird standards or sizes, be easy to maintain and work on because when the rare opportunity arises to ride there isn’t time to faff around in the garage.

With every penny earned going in to little darling’s whoknowswhat and the part of the house that house yet again leaked or failed, a DADCOUNTRY bike should be somewhat affordable and be a bike for a long time not just a good time.

It sounds simple. Maybe it is that inevitable “just a mountain bike” a lot of us search for. But why can’t the best features of longer travel categories not be applied to short travel, light, sprinty, climby bikes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Only adding b/c you haven't discounted it: Kona Hei Hei CR/DL. Frame/shock/axle: $3000USD. I have an XL and it's my favorite bike I've ever owned. Maybe not XC race bike efficient...but it is pretty supportive...and has dual lockout. Someone weighed a L at 5 lb 7oz/2.47kg with shock. Mine is built with Fox DPS/34 SC, XX1, and I9 carbon wheels and it's plenty light (for someone who needs an XL ;) ).

https://konaworld.com/hei_hei_cr_dl.cfm

Not kidding: it's a great bike and if this one broke, I'd happily replace it with the same.
Last edited by smartyiak on Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanW

by DanW

rapsac wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:36 pm
Last Celos?

https://www.last-bikes.com/Celos
That is an interesting one I hadn't seen before but far, far too much money

greatstewie

by greatstewie

:D
Last edited by greatstewie on Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greatstewie

by greatstewie

thunk building is the best option. the 8k$ bike from manufacturere is mayeb marked up 13x+.

DanW

by DanW

I have AXS dropper, tuned AXS drivetrain, all finishing kit, DT 240/ carbon rims/ cx-ray wheels so frame and fork only is definitely my preference.

Every year I get the feeling "just one more year and decent all around geometry will finally hit 100-120mm bikes".... then stupid new standards like 55mm chainlines with wide cranks and SRAM direct mount rear mechs hit

davemac

by davemac

I have a revel ranger weight is 23.8 no dropper, very confy for long rides and very efficient