Opinion on future sworks epic build

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gabriel47

by gabriel47

Hello, in the future i would like to build a custom sworks epic. In the photo attahced i wrote the weights and the price of each component. Do you think it's at an acceptable weight or maybe to heavy and is it much to expensive? Thank you!
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-03-01 00-01-28.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

js

by js

This is a fairly drool-worthy build with some true weight-weenie spirit that's great to see alive and well. I'd personally struggle a bit with the price vs weight-savings though, as many of those swaps diminish what I'd see as the fun-factor of the bike. So I guess you'd just want to be darn sure that having a bike that's 1kg lighter is that much of a bonus for you.

There's a lot of work here going into customizing ever little part - which is awesome. But it also feels like you could be 98% of the way there weight-wise if you just got an off-the-floor S-Works complete build and swapped the cockpit/saddle. Depending on what complete bike prices are like in your area (vs frame-only and parts prices you list above), you could be spending more for a bike that's ~1kg lighter, a bit less capable, but also fully custom.

So again, the value of being a bit lighter and fully customer needs to be really high for you to provide a positive balance.

prebsy

by prebsy

I have no idea about pricing or availability in your country but I think as JS stated a stock build could get your pretty close. The only choice I'd persnally avoid is tubed tires.

gabriel47

by gabriel47

I'm from romania. I checked the price of a complete sworks and it would be around 11400 eur and from it i would swap the cockpit, the wheels are roval so i wouldn't change them but don't know anything about the weight. But i also can't wait to actually build the bike with my friends at the bike shop i used to work.