Help - best XC wheel options

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gravelginger77

by gravelginger77

So I am wanting to upgrade the wheelset on my fourstroke. I want some nice hubs and light but liable rims, what are my best options?

also what is the options on CL vs 6-bolt?

I am based in the states just fyi for buying options

js

by js

There are tons of great options for XC wheels now. Deciding on the right pair for you will depend on your goals and priorities. If budget has no limit, there are plenty of fancy hub, rim, spoke or pre-built options to hit the craziest weight (1200g & under). If you want something bombproof without breaking the bank, that can still be done with weights of 1400-1550g. I suspect somewhere between 1300 to 1400 is where $ and g cross-over these days.

Most things seem to gear towards i30mm rims, as those pair well with modern tires, to give more grip from volume vs tread.

Personally, I'm running XTR hubs (CL), DT CompRace/Comp spokes and BTLOS rims, i30 front & i27 rear, and that wheelset has been absolutely faultless for my riding, focused on some xc/marathon racing and lots of down-country play.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrfish

by mrfish

My choice was DT XRC 1501. Chose those because they offer basically the same performance as a top of the line megabucks wheel but at a price I can afford, and with spare parts for ever and no hassles. Price was about EUR 950 (with Swiss vat of 8%).

They are acceptably light and unlike many wheels I've had in the past have been fit and forget. Hubs are DT240EXP CL so I can rebuild them and hand those on to my kids, assuming hub standards don't change. :wink: Only downside is they're only available in black, and don't offer a 1 degree engagement angle, which I don't think matters much.

I'd also look at the DT wheels with Aluminium rims if you want to go cheaper, or Hope wheels if you want colored hubs, I'm a big fan of their kit and the price /performance is better than boutique brands.

gravelginger77

by gravelginger77

mrfish wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:25 pm
My choice was DT XRC 1501. Chose those because they offer basically the same performance as a top of the line megabucks wheel but at a price I can afford, and with spare parts for ever and no hassles. Price was about EUR 950 (with Swiss vat of 8%).

They are acceptably light and unlike many wheels I've had in the past have been fit and forget. Hubs are DT240EXP CL so I can rebuild them and hand those on to my kids, assuming hub standards don't change. :wink: Only downside is they're only available in black, and don't offer a 1 degree engagement angle, which I don't think matters much.

I'd also look at the DT wheels with Aluminium rims if you want to go cheaper, or Hope wheels if you want colored hubs, I'm a big fan of their kit and the price /performance is better than boutique brands.
Thank you. I like the look of those and the simplistic DT Swiss hubs, they're more expensive in the states so I might look for a deal to ship from EU