Cannondale Scalpel HT headache

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

garage0racing

by garage0racing

Because of the limited chainring / power meter options I decided to upgrade the Hollowgram crankset to XX1 DUB.
I ordered based my parts based on the Hi-Mod ultimate specs:
• SRAM DUB PF30 MTB83
• SRAM XX1 Eagle DUB, 55mm chainline
I am pretty sure I received what I have ordered.
When I try to install it, the spindle appears too short, so the chainring is rubbing the frame even before torquing it fully down.
Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a different BB, a different crankset? Or did I receive the wrong CL crankset?
I would appreciate any kind of help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by garage0racing on Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

The chain line of the crankset is good, but the spindle is too short. Now, I think you need a longer spindle crank that as far as I know can be difficult to find. Sram makes them, but in limited quantity.
Likely you will have to work with a set of spacers to bring it to the correct chainline on the frame.
I had similar troubles installing a Shimano crankset on mine but at least, I could use the regular XT 8120.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zscs

by zscs

Your frame is a so-called 'MTB Wide' frame (?) or an Ai one?
The MTB Wide crankset has 6mm longer axle, should be OK for an MTB Wide compabible frame and also for an Ai frame, I guess. https://www.sram.com/globalassets/docum ... -chart.pdf

I'm not 100% sure but the colour of the axle for the 'MTB Wide' SRAM DUB cranksets is black anodized instead of the raw aluminium finish (like on the picture that you attached).
I would go to SRAM's website and specify your crankset's Serial Nr. and you can check which version you have: https://www.sram.com/en/service/models/fc-xx-1-c2

pastronef

by pastronef

I've had the same problem with my Scalpe Si 2020 full.

there's no way I can fit a Shimano crank there on the 83mm BB. the spindle/axle is too short. it drives me mad, since I have Shimano group, Shimano brakes and discs but I had to keep the Truvativ cranks. the Scalpel HT on Cannondale's website has a 83mm BB ahd it fits with the deore cranks, but probably the chainstays are not as wide as my full Scalpel so at Cannondale they can fit a Shimano crank (with 55mm chainline)

the Cannondale Factory Team uses custom XTR cranks Shimano made for them with a +6mm spindle

Co0kieMonster

by Co0kieMonster

If you got the correct crankset for the 55mm chainline your spindle should be black and and not silver. It is the DUB Wide crankset you need.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slashy

by slashy

if you mount the non-drive side of the crank what is the distance between the crank end (near the pedal-insert) and the chainstay ? (because if the crankset has the correct axle length then you might need a bottombracket that makes for a less wide setup.). maybe you could use the BB386 BB version (which has the bearing sitting inside the frame vs outside on your current BB) and then use spacers to get to a symmetrical setup

and what is the measured axle length ?

for reference I have a shimano XT crank with 55mm chainline on the same frame and had to do something similar.