Non-Boost Spider on Boost Bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Was not paying attention and bought an XX1 power meter spider on sale from MBS (who are closing and not taking any returns) in non-Boost.

Is it possible to use on a Specialized Epic Evo (which is boost)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Second question: if I were to order the XX1 arms just to give it a go, are there any 8 bolt boost direct mount chainrings that would work?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zscs

by zscs

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:56 am
Second question: if I were to order the XX1 arms just to give it a go, are there any 8 bolt boost direct mount chainrings that would work?
E.g. https://alugear.com/chainrings-1x/223-r ... s-mtb.html

Regarding non-boost spider: if the new Epic Evo frame requires an 'MTB Wide' crankset then maybe you'll have enough space with the 6mm offset spider as well. Getting the chainring 3 mm closer to the chainstay maybe still tolerable by your frame, especially if you would use a 32t or 30t chainring on it (a Wolftooth one, since nothing else 30t is compatible with Quarq DZero ;) ). https://www.sram.com/globalassets/docum ... -chart.pdf
However, if you have a 'normal' MTB crankset (very likely a grey/alu coloured axle in case of DUB) then you'll definitely have issues with the non-boost spider...

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

zscs wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:56 am
E.g. https://alugear.com/chainrings-1x/223-r ... s-mtb.html

Regarding non-boost spider: if the new Epic Evo frame requires an 'MTB Wide' crankset then maybe you'll have enough space with the 6mm offset spider as well. Getting the chainring 3 mm closer to the chainstay maybe still tolerable by your frame, especially if you would use a 32t or 30t chainring on it (a Wolftooth one, since nothing else 30t is compatible with Quarq DZero ;) ). https://www.sram.com/globalassets/docum ... -chart.pdf
However, if you have a 'normal' MTB crankset (very likely a grey/alu coloured axle in case of DUB) then you'll definitely have issues with the non-boost spider...
Thanks that’s helpful! Jesus, so confusing. The Epic Evo does not require an MTB Wide crankset, so I think I’ll either have to try and sell the non-boost spider and get the boost version or go with an 8-bolt direct mount ring.

I got an Epic EVO Comp, and, as far as I can tell , the best spots to reduce weight are the wheels, crank, handlebar, cassette, and saddle probably in that order. I think the specced crank weighs like 800ish g while the XX1 is more like 450g. I plan to put on carbon bars which should save another 100g and carbon wheels which should save another 500g. I’m guessing it will be around 12kg out of the box, so hopefully getting it down to the 10.9 mark.

snaxez

by snaxez

Just sell the Quarq spider and buy a new boost Quarq spider. Crank should be same for boost and normal one.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

snaxez wrote:Just sell the Quarq spider and buy a new boost Quarq spider. Crank should be same for boost and normal one.
I think I will do just that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

i use a lightning crankset on my epic, without offset in the chainring, and i don't have any problems at all.