Leadville Dreaming: What Bike?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

stoney wrote:The Race King/Cross King should be a fast, capable combination.
Nice, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xcl

by xcl

The Race King is a great choice for any races that require optimal rolling speed, combined with a Cross King up front that's a fantastic tire combo (as mentioned above).

la85

by la85

Hexsense wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:48 pm
1) You can set the brain fade down to the min for xc race. And then dial up brain fade for a more challenging trail ride. I usually set brain fade 1 click down from firmest setting for riding normal trail.
2) With brain fade set to max, the rear shock perform similar to regular RockShox Sidluxe shock. You just carry extra weight of the brain mechanism vs an epic evo.
3) rear travel is more vertical. Fork travel at a more slacker angle than rear end of the Bike. If you consider vertical travel height only, 120mm front and 100mm rear travel have quite a balanced suspension behavior, unless you run a lot more sag at the back than the front.
How often does the rear brain need servicing?
Do the shock and brain get serviced separately or together?

I've found an awesome deal on an S works epic. Might grab it and chuck a Fox 34 120mm step cast and see how it goes!

Hexsense

by Hexsense

brain shock officially should be service every 200 hours of ride time. But people go way pass that. It doesn't have much to go wrong.
Fork has 50 hour (lower leg only) and 200 hour (lower leg and damper) procedure also. But Fit4 damper slowly ingest fluid from lower leg into damper and can bust the damper bladder if you neglect it for far too long. So, you can stretch service interval but try not to go too long.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Just out of curiosity: all things being nearly equal (adding a dropper post to the Supercaliber) and knowing that I won’t be the best bike handler on descents, which might be faster for me for Tahoe Trail 100/Leadville: Epic EVO or Supercaliber?

la85

by la85

Hexsense wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:30 pm
brain shock officially should be service every 200 hours of ride time. But people go way pass that. It doesn't have much to go wrong.
Fork has 50 hour (lower leg only) and 200 hour (lower leg and damper) procedure also. But Fit4 damper slowly ingest fluid from lower leg into damper and can bust the damper bladder if you neglect it for far too long. So, you can stretch service interval but try not to go too long.
Thanks!

And the RockShox SID brain fork has similar service hours?

I'm worried about the brain after hearing bad reports from past models but it appears that the new models have improved a lot.

The bike im looking at is a 2021 model S Works Epic

js

by js

la85 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:59 pm
I'm worried about the brain after hearing bad reports from past models but it appears that the new models have improved a lot.
I guess this is my biggest issue with the Brain. It's been 20'ish years they've had it on bikes, and every time they update it, there are so many reviews to say how much it's improved over the last iteration, which still felt clunky. Piecing nearly two decades of those reviews together, you're given the sense that it was always a significant compromise, and that many reviewers just want to be positive about new things.

There are many people who like the Brain, but maybe all these versions having the same review means the concept itself will always require some compromise, no matter how refined the execution ever becomes.

xcl

by xcl

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:13 pm
Just out of curiosity: all things being nearly equal (adding a dropper post to the Supercaliber) and knowing that I won’t be the best bike handler on descents, which might be faster for me for Tahoe Trail 100/Leadville: Epic EVO or Supercaliber?

The supercaliber is definitely the more efficient climber and probably faster heading uphill but the geometry on the evo should make it more confident on the downhill with its significantly slacker head tube angle. Sounds like maybe the evo is a better choice for your skillset.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

la85 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:59 pm
And the RockShox SID brain fork has similar service hours?

The bike im looking at is a 2021 model S Works Epic
Sid brain fork service is similar but can't do it yourself.
Normally I do all fork service at home regardless if it's 50 hours or 200 hours. Never send the fork out. Only send rear brain shock out for service, rarely.
If you use Sid brain fork, then you'll need to send the fork with the shock.

RockC

by RockC

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:13 pm

Leadville is likely the only MTB race in the world I would consider a Supercaliber over an Evo, lol.. The Evo is a bit of a unicorn and the efficiency gain that the Supercaliber may achieve over the Evo in a race like Leadville isn’t likely enough to make too much a difference unless you are at the pointiest end of the race or looking for all marginal gains. If you're financially doing well and have money for a larger stable, then sure, maybe there is a place in that stable for a Supercaliber in race like Leadville. The Evo is just a more versatile bike though and would be better for Tahoo Trail as well as much funner on non-race days. Just my opinion however, everyone has their own preference.
Last edited by RockC on Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

RockC

by RockC