Leadville Dreaming: What Bike?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LeDuke

by LeDuke

It’s weird that people were writing responses about Leadville and NOT the Tahoe 100 (a Leadville qualifying race).

OP, one thing you might consider, if budget allows, is another fork. As in two forks. A 100mm and 120mm fork will have you covered for a wide range of terrain. Leadville, Tahoe 100 AND other races and general riding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

LeDuke wrote:It’s weird that people were writing responses about Leadville and NOT the Tahoe 100 (a Leadville qualifying race).

OP, one thing you might consider, if budget allows, is another fork. As in two forks. A 100mm and 120mm fork will have you covered for a wide range of terrain. Leadville, Tahoe 100 AND other races and general riding.

Forgive my ignorance (which is significant) but would a 100mm fork provide that much more efficiency over a 120mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RockC

by RockC

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:11 pm
LeDuke wrote:It’s weird that people were writing responses about Leadville and NOT the Tahoe 100 (a Leadville qualifying race).

Forgive my ignorance (which is significant) but would a 100mm fork provide that much more efficiency over a 120mm?

No, it would be a waste of money IMO. If you're gonna spend any money on upgrades, spend it on wheels, seat, carbon bars, etc (unless the bike you bought is solid in those departments).

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Fork travel rarely is the cause of inefficient feeling ride.
Rear travel though, can significantly contribute to "feeling slow".

So I like Epic with 120mm fork.
100mm rear travel with brain.
120mm front travel without brain.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

So, I’ve found a bunch of sales and have picked up some upgrades (estimated weight savings)

-Roval Control Carbon wheels (400g)
-Roval Carbon bars (30g)
-I’ll put a lighter saddle on (30g)
-SID Ultimate Raceday (150g)
-GX AXS upgrade kit (+50g)
-XX1 Crank and Power meter (350g)

Plus, I’ll have a bunch of stuff to sell and a training wheelset.

Should go from about 27.5lbs to around 25 lbs conservatively.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

There is a way to save 65g from your GX AXS derailleur as well. But it'll bring the rd cost up to about X01 level...
https://bikerumor.com/ratio-eagle-cage- ... t-cheaper/

LeDuke

by LeDuke

RockC wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:

No, it would be a waste of money IMO. If you're gonna spend any money on upgrades, spend it on wheels, seat, carbon bars, etc (unless the bike you bought is solid in those departments).
If everything else was already optimized, the shorter travel fork makes sense. If not, I agree, it’s one of the last things I’d do.

However, dropping the front end 15-20mm, depending on sag and A-C, could be pretty handy on a course like Leadville. Pretty fast course. Lots of double track and fire roads.

Whereas Tahoe can be pretty rough at times, and that extra 20mm could be handy. I’ve only ridden on the east and south sides of Tahoe but I’d imagine Northstar is much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

la85

by la85

:P
Hexsense wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:46 am
Fork travel rarely is the cause of inefficient feeling ride.
Rear travel though, can significantly contribute to "feeling slow".

So I like Epic with 120mm fork.
100mm rear travel with brain.
120mm front travel without brain.
I was thinking about doing this. Finding a good Epic with the brain and putting a 120mm fork on the front.

Will the 100mm rear shock with brain still perform for light trail riding I.e it’s only 10mm less than the evo but I’m thinking the brain would be awesome and efficient?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

1) You can set the brain fade down to the min for xc race. And then dial up brain fade for a more challenging trail ride. I usually set brain fade 1 click down from firmest setting for riding normal trail.
2) With brain fade set to max, the rear shock perform similar to regular RockShox Sidluxe shock. You just carry extra weight of the brain mechanism vs an epic evo.
3) rear travel is more vertical. Fork travel at a more slacker angle than rear end of the Bike. If you consider vertical travel height only, 120mm front and 100mm rear travel have quite a balanced suspension behavior, unless you run a lot more sag at the back than the front.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

LeDuke wrote:
RockC wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:

If everything else was already optimized, the shorter travel fork makes sense. If not, I agree, it’s one of the last things I’d do.

However, dropping the front end 15-20mm, depending on sag and A-C, could be pretty handy on a course like Leadville. Pretty fast course. Lots of double track and fire roads.

Whereas Tahoe can be pretty rough at times, and that extra 20mm could be handy. I’ve only ridden on the east and south sides of Tahoe but I’d imagine Northstar is much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info.

I literally haven’t ridden MTB since 1996. I had a ‘95 Giant ATX with SLX-RC, cantilever brakes, and it was totally rigid. It was an awesome bike. Any skill at riding off-road have just declined since then.

I’ve seen plenty of videos of people just shredding on stuff that would’ve taken extreme caution for me back in the day.

Photos (very nostalgic for me) of what the bike looked like from the web.

AED

by AED

stoney wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:40 am
Epic hardtail...Leadville is a glorified gravel race.
I am on the same page. Coming to US for Leadville this and after watching multiple videos from track still can't decide whether I really need to bring my MTB for this mostly gravel event :?

stoney

by stoney

I think a new Giant Revolt with Race Kings could be the ultimate weapon with the right gearing. It will fit up to 53mm tires.

zscs

by zscs

Pro riders used to prefer riding hardtails. An example from 2015 (see picture): https://www.strava.com/activities/369855704
...and some riders use road pedals :D https://www.strava.com/activities/2610679606

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

As mentioned, will probably try to do Tahoe Trail 100 first which is, apparently, a bit rougher.

Ordered up a Conti Race King Protection for the back and a Cross King Protection for the front.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

The Race King/Cross King should be a fast, capable combination.