Light 24mm 1x crank options

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GZAmk2

by GZAmk2

Hi there

I’m building a Scott Spark for the upcoming season

The only thing I don’t like is BB92…

I’m planning on using a Hambini BB for 24mm axle in the hope that the larger bearings will last more than five mins in the UK mud!

Is there anything out there appreciably lighter than a XTR crank - ideally in 165mm

I guess the Enduro Bearings XD-15 might be worth a try for a 30mm axle?

I’d appreciate people’s experiences of BB92 please!

Many thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexdi

by alexdi

XX1 Eagle GXP is fairly light. DUB is about 70g lighter and exists for BB92. Both are available in 165mm. It isn't bearing size that'll save you, it's seals.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Going 30mm isn't going to help. If you're collecting mud, why does 100gr matter? Mud doesn't hurt BB water does. If you want to try ceramic, try enduros $55/bearing units.
If you really are killing bearings that quick, just learn to change them and buy more- it's a 5min job that costs $20. Even the thread-together solutions and normal Shimano use standard bearings. Just buy a bunch of regular ones and replace - you can carve the regular bearing out of whatever is on sale.

Rotor has a lot of light, durable cranks for 24mm. The prior gen Rex is a 2-bolt design which is more bearing friendly. They are eBay for cheap, don't weigh much, and make most hammers look weak.

Aeo

by Aeo

I have a Hambini BB92 in 24mm Shimano setup. It is by far the best bottom bracket in any of my bikes.
You could use that and run a GXP crank Shimano style without wave-washer but with spacers.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

kode54

by kode54

I slather waterproof grease liberally around the BB bearings, both inside and out. If water and mud is your issue, keeping water out with the grease will help no matter what bearing you use…ceramic or steel.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TheRookie

by TheRookie

SRAM X0 Carbon, GXP fitment so will fit in a 24mm BB with an adaptor.

Mine are 466grams for bare arms - sp about the same weight as XTR (466 on r2-bike), plus 4g for the direct mount ring retaining bolts (could go Ti) and my 32T Raceface ring is 58g (lighter is available).

If you go 30mm then CaneCreek eewings are reasuringly expensive but will shed 66g (give or take) from that, or E8thirteen at 387g are a lot cheaper, or you get into the more exotic.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

GZAmk2

by GZAmk2

Appreciate the replies thank you

To clarify, longevity is not a concern with Hambini BB and 24mm axle, just wondered if there was much to be had by switching out from XTR but it seems not.

BB92 with 30mm gives up a lot of bearing size (Hambini doesn’t even make one due to longevity concerns)

To me it’s seems there’s not enough to gain by going 30mm to make up for poor bearing efficiency/ longevity - YMMV

scant

by scant

Hope 30mm bottom brackets last well in the UK & its possible to just replace the bearings, rather than need to replace the whole cups, when they do eventually wear out.
my hope BB is 3yrs old, on original bearings, used year round.

GZAmk2

by GZAmk2

scant wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:05 pm
Hope 30mm bottom brackets last well in the UK & its possible to just replace the bearings, rather than need to replace the whole cups, when they do eventually wear out.
my hope BB is 3yrs old, on original bearings, used year round.
Good info thanks :thumbup:

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Placing this here for reference.

X01, GXP, 170mm.
X01 cranks.jpg

CamW

by CamW

Elilee do a quite light carbon crank with a 24mm axle. Not so sure about them after their recent frame debarcle in another thread though.

zscs

by zscs

Bought this old Quarq DZero + XX1 GXP 175mm in late 2016. 508g without chainring and bolts. After ~30 MTB races, ~20k kms it's still rock solid and surprisingly, the power measurement has remained accurate. (I have 2 other DZeroes, have had measurement anomalies with both...)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com