SRAM Eagle AXS Refresh?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

freepk

by freepk

@scant but 2x in front )

cula_ru

by cula_ru

freepk wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:59 pm
@scant but 2x in front )
Better transmission efficiency and closed spaced gear ratios. 1x sucks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

freepk

by freepk

@cula_ru, if you can shift fd )

stoney

by stoney

cula_ru wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:00 pm
Yes 1x sucks if you have problems generating power with a wide cadence range. I practice putting out power with low, middle and high cadence so 1x is great!

cula_ru

by cula_ru

stoney wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:07 am
cula_ru wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:00 pm
Yes 1x sucks if you have problems generating power with a wide cadence range. I practice putting out power with low, middle and high cadence so 1x is great!
Not really... But I'm much more efficient at my prefered point of power + cadence.
Cadence can be trained but, you don't see this crazy gear ratios and gear jumps in road bikes.

req110

by req110

I asked sram for some interoperability stuff with older AXS.
I have sworks epic 2022 with sram axs xx1 with quarq. I have some questions about upgrade to new transmission.

My goal is to upgrade components one by one (and move some older components to new gravel bike i am gonna build):

I would go following steps:

1) can i replace my xg-1295 cassette for new transmissing cassete - will it work with older xx1 axs rear mech?

2) then i will replace rear mech - can i pair new rear mech with older AXS controller.

3) i assume that step 2 requires to put new flat top chain right?

4) will all above work with my older xx1 axs quarq crankset with chainline 52mm?
they told me
1,3: The new Transmission groupset is not reverse compatible, meaning you will need to upgrade the entire groupset at once.

2. The new Transmission derailleur is reverse compatible with the prior generation AXS Controller. Similarly, the new POD Controller can be used with the prior generation AXS derailleur.

https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/artic ... omponents-

4: To continue using your XX1 AXS Quarq crankset, you will either need to use a 104BCD E-Bike chainring or remove the power meter and use a direct-mount 8-bolt chainring. The groupset is compatible with a 52mm chainline but optimized for a 55mm chainline.
So they say you need whole gruppo, but you can at least keep your older crankset and shifter.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

So what they mean is that the chain, cassette and RD is all you need to "upgrade".
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

req110

by req110

They say whole groupset but obviously you need only chain, cassette, RD, chainring.... Which is expensive for sure, but still allow you to keep crankset and shifter, and move your old chain, RD, cassette to for example gravel bike build where you don't have UDH hanger anyway.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

snaxez

by snaxez

req110 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:28 pm
They say whole groupset but obviously you need only chain, cassette, RD, chainring.... Which is expensive for sure, but still allow you to keep crankset and shifter, and move your old chain, RD, cassette to for example gravel bike build where you don't have UDH hanger anyway.
Thats similar to what I did, I ordered an ebike X0 groupset without crank. X0 RD, X0 Cassette, X0 Chain, Pod ultimate controller and 36T steel E-bike chainring (~155g). ~1310€ from bike24. Wolftooth said, that Drop-Stop-B chainrings will work, so got 34T 104BCD drop-stop-B chainring (~56g) from them for my old Boost Quarq.
That makes around 1370€ with old Boost Quarq.
Seems now WolfTooth has oval Drop-Stop-B as well, but not in stock yet.

Got my X0 Groupset and some weights:
X0 Rear Derailleur 449g+26g battery = 475g total
X0 Cassette 384g
X0 Chain 126 links+ qucklink 285g
Pod Ultimate 47g
E-MTB Chainring 104 BCD 36T (made from steel) 137g
WolfTooth Chainring Drop-Stop-B round 104 BCD 34T 42g

freepk

by freepk

Actual weight XX SL https://youtu.be/Q_DoSLXk7lg

DanW

by DanW

Saw the new XX SL in person the other day... OMG that rear mech is an absolute unit. Both in weight and size! It looks very much in keeping with a stormtrooper ebike which I guess is the modern aesthetic trend :roll:

derbi32

by derbi32

hi, I'm owning a epic sworks 2021.

I had a quaq XX1 powermeter wirh XTR 12 speed drivetrain.

The week before the xx sl was released, I saw an ad for the sale of the new generation powermeter with 34 teeth.
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-21 at 23.57.06 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-21 at 23.57.06 (3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-21 at 23.57.06.jpeg

I unmounted the former quaq spider and I put on my xx1 crank the new model.

I was just forced to change a spacer for keep a 55m chainline.

Since 2 weeks, I tried to use the new powermeter with my xtr drivetrain, all is fine, I have a very small noise if I use the 51 cog but all is fine.

I posted this for those wondering about compatibility.

Also on sram website:
https://www.sram.com/globalassets/docum ... ty-map.pdf

You can see that eagle chain can work with the new crank.

boots2000

by boots2000

Do you think companies will make adapters to be able to use this system on frame that do not have the UDH type hanger? Seems like it could replace existing hangers if measurments were known?

solarider

by solarider

I am generally an early adopter, but this leaves me a little cold. I have mullet AXS on my road and gravel bikes, but neither have a UDH, and for me therefore SRAM have lost some of their advantage - namely the interchangeability of AXS across all platforms. My MTB does have a UDH, but I am not in a rush.

Brave move by SRAM but it has given the other manufacturers a 2nd mover advantage - they can wait and see how well adoption takes place, and across multiple disciplines before they decide whether to go down the direct mount route.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

boots2000 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:52 pm
Do you think companies will make adapters to be able to use this system on frame that do not have the UDH type hanger? Seems like it could replace existing hangers if measurments were known?
A more likely scenario is for a company like Ratio technology to release a kit for previous gen derailleur to work with new cassette and chain.
It'd consists of:
- 2.5mm mounting spacer to bring rd outboard by 2.5mm to fit new cassette spacing
- two new pulleys that compatible with T type chain.
- possibly new RD cage if the cage geometry simply doesn't work. But this is unlikely.