SRAM Eagle AXS Refresh?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zik

by zik

It is possible to install this new sram groupset on the bike (epic Evo) that have rear hub 148mm, so 52mm chainline, because the only chainline for the new eagle transmission cranksets is 55mm?

req110

by req110

req110 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:39 am
I asked sram for some interoperability stuff with older AXS.
I have sworks epic 2022 with sram axs xx1 with quarq. I have some questions about upgrade to new transmission.

My goal is to upgrade components one by one (and move some older components to new gravel bike i am gonna build):

I would go following steps:

1) can i replace my xg-1295 cassette for new transmissing cassete - will it work with older xx1 axs rear mech?

2) then i will replace rear mech - can i pair new rear mech with older AXS controller.

3) i assume that step 2 requires to put new flat top chain right?

4) will all above work with my older xx1 axs quarq crankset with chainline 52mm?
they told me
1,3: The new Transmission groupset is not reverse compatible, meaning you will need to upgrade the entire groupset at once.

2. The new Transmission derailleur is reverse compatible with the prior generation AXS Controller. Similarly, the new POD Controller can be used with the prior generation AXS derailleur.

https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/artic ... omponents-

4: To continue using your XX1 AXS Quarq crankset, you will either need to use a 104BCD E-Bike chainring or remove the power meter and use a direct-mount 8-bolt chainring. The groupset is compatible with a 52mm chainline but optimized for a 55mm chainline.
So they say you need whole gruppo, but you can at least keep your older crankset and shifter.
This
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

zik wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:49 pm
It is possible to install this new sram groupset on the bike (epic Evo) that have rear hub 148mm, so 52mm chainline, because the only chainline for the new eagle transmission cranksets is 55mm?
Yes, chainline will be good with the matching crankset.

zik

by zik

But when I look at BB compatibility for these cranks I see that they need sram wide dub bottom bracket:
https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/fc-x0-d1
and for my bike is intended standard dub bsa 73mm, not the wide version, what about this?

snaxez

by snaxez

I have new XO transmission cassette and rear derailleur with old Boost Quarq with 52mm chainline and WolfTooth 104BCD round 34T DropStop-B chainring. Works fine, I see no reason for 55mm chainline.
I would like an oval chainring, but Wolftooth 104BCD oval chainrings have a step, that moves the chainring inboard about 1,9mm. then chainline would be around 50mm and that is way too close for my chainstay with 34T. For that I would need a 55mm chainline cranks.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

zik wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:52 am
But when I look at BB compatibility for these cranks I see that they need sram wide dub bottom bracket:
https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/fc-x0-d1
and for my bike is intended standard dub bsa 73mm, not the wide version, what about this?
You get a wide BSA BB. Your frame is not intended for anything other than a 73mm BSA BB. Everything else (wide, not wide etc) is governed by the chainset.

SunsetRider

by SunsetRider

SRAM has a good manual covering their bottom brackets that explains it all very well. My Hightower frame should be here next week and I've 90% talked myself into going with the X0 Eagle Transmission.

SRAM Dub Cranksets and Bottom Brackets

kervelo

by kervelo

zik wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:49 pm
Wolftooth has released new SRAM T-type compatible chainrings:
https://bikerumor.com/wolf-tooth-adds-s ... hainrings/

zscs

by zscs

Rumors says, the new GX comes very soon. ;)

Oh, and a little bit offtopic from SRAM point of view but even more ontopic from Weight Weenie point of view. :)
I've ordered one of these small batteries for testing: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/takewell-Bat ... 723&sr=8-3

Got it already, smaller and ~10g lighter than the SRAM one - however, its capacity is 240 mAh instead of the SRAM 300 (?) mAh. I'm going to test it, we will see, how this stuff lasts.
Amazon's site says it's Li-Po but in reality, Li-Ion is printed to the battery's side.

ice29

by ice29

zscs wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:16 am
Oh, and a little bit offtopic from SRAM point of view but even more ontopic from Weight Weenie point of view. :)
I've ordered one of these small batteries for testing: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/takewell-Bat ... 723&sr=8-3

Got it already, smaller and ~10g lighter than the SRAM one - however, its capacity is 240 mAh instead of the SRAM 300 (?) mAh. I'm going to test it, we will see, how this stuff lasts.
Amazon's site says it's Li-Po but in reality, Li-Ion is printed to the battery's side.
Am curious what your experience will be... I wanted to buy one of those to get more clearance between the FD AXS battery and tire on my gravel (2-3mm with 44mm tires), but the reviews were pretty bad (on amazon.com). I see that the seller must have re-listed them since most of them have no reviews at all :)

zscs

by zscs

Canyon offers bikes witg the new GX AXS: https://www.canyon.com/en-hu/mountain-b ... /3657.html

js

by js

Has anyone used SRAM T-Type derailleurs with a Shimano Cassette?

I've previously found the pairing of SRAM shifters and derailleurs with Shimano Cassettes and chains to be the best performance / value on offer.

I'm curious to know if this options works well with the new T-Type derailleurs. Without limit screws, there's obviously one less adjustment, but given how similar the spacing on 12-speed cassettes has been, I'm hoping it shifts as well as the non-transmission set-ups did.

cula_ru

by cula_ru

It shouldn't work very well because sram t type cassette is narrower, than the previous models. But I haven't tested it.

js

by js

Thanks for the response - I hadn't seen anything about the adjusted cassette width or narrower cog spacing in the reviews I'd read.

Do you have a reference for that info that I could read up on a bit more?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

js wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:27 pm

I'm curious to know if this options works well with the new T-Type derailleurs. Without limit screws, there's obviously one less adjustment, but given how similar the spacing on 12-speed cassettes has been, I'm hoping it shifts as well as the non-transmission set-ups did.
T type cassette is totally incompatible with the rest.
1) The cassette move over closer to the drop out (away from center of the frame) by 2.5mm. It doesn't even mount and spin on regular UDH hanger. It only fit UDH frame with Transmission derailleur installed.
2) With that, direct mount derailleur and their own T-type cassette.. Sram know exactly where the cassette is and set the derailleur for that. If you put non tranmission cassette on. It'll be 2.5mm off with no way to adjust it.

X) In the past, Shimano cassette shift better than Sram but doesn't last as long so the mix of AXS shifter and Shimano cassette make sense for shift quality perspective.

Transmission change that. Transmission cassette shift very well. And you have Sram tool steel cassette which is very durable. Just get GX transmission cassette. It weight the same as XT cassette anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com