Carbon spokes as an alternative to Berd

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

F45

by F45

I see these on aliexpress for about $400 for a set of 64. About the same weight as Berd. Would they have a more direct power transfer feel?

I'm thinking: Extralight Hyperboost3 hubset, carbon spokes, Carbonfan rim. About 1000g.

But for mountain biking would a rock strike shatter them? :smartass:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

F45 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:02 pm
But for mountain biking would a rock strike shatter them? :smartass:
I think that's the reason. It works great for applied forces in one direction (length-wise) but will crack on side impact
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

F45

by F45

Maybe they will just shrug off the average rock strike. I'd ride them if I could get two years out of them.

alexdi

by alexdi

Similar weight, diametrically opposed riding experience. Carbon is considerably stiffer than steel. Berd, the opposite. Carbon paired with a similar ultra-stiff T800/T1000 rim is likely to make your teeth chatter. Ride quality aside, I'd be concerned about increased rim stress (and hub stress to a lesser extent) during sharp impacts and would definitely choose a rim with reinforced spoke holes. I don't know that the spoke itself is more susceptible to failure from foreign objects, but I'd be much more proactive about replacing damaged carbon spokes.

RDY

by RDY

Carbon spokes are a really bad idea for offroad.

F45

by F45

There's a video on youtube where the Winspace guy shoves a stick into the carbon spoked wheel and it comes out fine.

Additionally, I scraped a large rock with my derailleur and the carbon cage was pushed into the DT Aerolite spokes, snapping two. The derailleur had a little piece knocked off but it's fine. Thin steel vs thick carbon, I think carbon will be comparable.

Carbon spokes would be ok for mountain biking. Gulo makes wheelsets with them, but they are round. I want my spokes to be bladed so they look badass.

I see that Light Bicycle will build with carbon spokes so I might just have them do it with their 250g rims.

scant

by scant

if you ride somewhere very rocky, then carbon spokes are far from ideal. that said i'd like to try berd spokes upfront, purely for the apparent softer ride feel

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com